Theresa May urges Britain to 'come back together'

webfact

On 3/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

I'd say it was a reaction to immigration in general. The Brexit referendum was the only chance the elecorate had to send a message to the politicians - to stick up two fingers basically. The overwhelming majority of Brits want immigration drastically reduced or stopped completely - they have done going back decades and have been ignored consistently. Polish and other Eastern Europeans are not the problem - they can be assimilated fairly easily - illiterate Africans and muslims, not so much.

And what is leaving the EU going to do to stop them? We had our own border control when we were in the EU, what is leaving going to do to help with that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Are you unaware that the unelected Bureacrats in Brussels, are already planning further integration. That in itself will lead to further loss of sovereignty for the British people.

Do you not realise that we were conned in 1975 and years later Major signed the U.K up to the Maastricht Treaty without putting it to the British electorate.

And This you refer to as a people’s democracy.

I haven't referred to anything as a people's democracy - what an awful term, makes me think of Princess Diana.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

For it to have a chance to work it would need a Swedish reset. A complete restart. Clear mission with honestly declared goals and the people of the member states properly represented with absolute rights to veto anything they want.

In other words a complete reformation of structure followed by open and truthful communication, cooperation and consent.

I agree! Wow, a staunch Brexiter and a staunch Remoaner have heated agreement!

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

As far as information goes, it seems, from remainers' comments, that they have been the misguided, over both the long and short terms. 

It seems time that the UK has done jolly well over the last 40 years. It is not the fault of the EU have been shared in an obscenely fashion now is it?

12 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

R/r..imo..you are a disgrace re mentioning the late Diane..imo you are just another very bitter "jocko"
Thankfully I am a Glasgow Brit who is both s Unionist and a Royalist

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you, Malaga Teddy for bringing a degree of dignified civility and rational discourse to these boards. I humbly accept your admonishment and promise never to besmirch the good name of St Diana, pbuh, again.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, puck2 said:

It's a horror to read comments of Brexit-friends only armed with propaganda delivered by Farage, Johnson and cohorts, but free of knowledge.

1. It seems hard for some British people to understand that the supranational EU system isn't exactly the same as the democratic system in Britain. That doesn't mean the EU-system is undemocratic. It is nearly a federal system. Believe it or not, the EU has a democratic system, not an autocratic one, as falsely repeated many times here in TV. It is democratic, because

• it depends of the separation of powers

• the EU Commission is the executive power

• the legislative consists of 2 parts (chambers?)

• the European parliament chosen by the citizens

• the Council of Europe, sent by the member states (comparable to the German Bundesrat)

• the European Court of Justice

One thing makes me :cheesy:  and sad at the same time. Most of the Brexiteers call the EU system undemocratic. Then I have to ask them, why did GB join such a horror-system and staying in it for ~ 40 years?  Do you detect the contradiction to your believe of an undemocratic/autocratic system!

All democracies, be it GB, USA, Sweden, Australia or Germany, i.e., have their own administrations, some call it bureaucracy. But without it no the state – here in this case the EU as a supranational Union – cannot work. Or can you imagine that there is a state without tax-, justice- and other offices? Therefore the EU needs one, too.

There are a lot of Brexiteers that condemn this bureaucracy and believe it's only bad. That there are many, many positive effects... here only a few catchwords

• a uniform, supranational system for the industry, law etc.

• the economic power of a single state nowadays is minimal, the EU is a power factor.

• do you remember the EU fighting against nearly criminal monopolies; as Google, Microsoft, and the fight against astronomic bank fees.

• the custom free area for many, many goods within the EU; saving money just for the not so riches.

• support for the not so rich EU states, especially in the Eastern EU. Although a „pain“ for the money dominated Brexiteers, it helps to avoid wars, solving problems peacefully (for now many years) etc.

Well said, sir! ?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Are you unaware that the unelected Bureacrats in Brussels, are already planning further integration. That in itself will lead to further loss of sovereignty for the British people.

Do you not realise that we were conned in 1975 and years later Major signed the U.K up to the Maastricht Treaty without putting it to the British electorate.

And This you refer to as a people’s democracy.

Nope, multilevel / multi speed is the mantra now. Keep up ?

47 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It seems time that the UK has done jolly well over the last 40 years. It is not the fault of the EU have been shared in an obscenely fashion now is it?

I'm sorry...you'll read that again?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Hopefully very soon T May will tell Barnier to " go forth and multiply" ..WTR will do just fine thank you..then watch the eu's bottle crash as they realise that their "divorce settlement " is not in the postemoji6.pngemoji23.pngemoji6.png

As usual the Hard Brexiteers completely disconnected from reality and out of touch with what is actually in play. Otherwise 'hopefully this....' and 'hopefully that....'

7 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Glasgow friend tells me the snp lemming numbers are dropping like flies..must be the weatheremoji23.png

I think you posted on the wrong thread there, pal - this one is about the seemingly impossible task ahead of the PM finding a resolution to a problem that nobody fully comprehends and that even she doesn't believe in, and satisfying two diametrically opposed factions at the same time, with a little look at her performance against her predecessors thrown in on the side.

• Like 1

Easy solution imo..JRM as PM..WTR is way to go..hope you can realise that eu slowly imploding..Hungarian PM statement re UN statement was spot on..Merkel admitting Germany has "no go " areas in some cities..
Italian voters " sticking it up " Brussels..Merkel's French poodle Macron admitting Italian election result was disasterous for your beloved eu.

• Like 1