74 year old uncle wants to buy home with (for?) 47 year old "fiance", what can I do?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I feel like I need to give all the background to get good advice.

My uncle is currently 74 years old and he's been living in Thailand full time since 2015.  He has had worsening memory problems for at least the last 5-10 years but has remained fairly sharp until the last 1-2 years when he's started to become forgetful, careless and to make lots of mistakes. Most recently he makes a lot of mistakes with numbers, things that would have been trivial for him in the past (he has an advanced degree in mathematics and a high IQ).  When he first moved to Thailand he thought Thai real estate purchases were a bad idea and preferred to rent.  He also insisted on a very spartan 1 bedroom studio because it was cheap.  He never wanted to upgrade to a larger nicer place (with a pool or a gym, for example).  Simply no interest.  The family couldn't even get him to hire a maid.

A little more than 1 year ago (late 2016) he met his now "fiance" who is almost 30 years his junior (he may have married her already and the family just doesn't know about it, how could we?).  Shortly after meeting her (no more than 3-4 months) in early 2017, the topic of real estate purchase emerged.  My uncle was considering a home in the 2M - 2.5M THB range.  I was horrified but luckily the topic subsided on its own and they decided to rent together getting a 1 year lease on a home for about 15,000 THB per month - quite a good deal I thought.  All seemed to be well until late 2017 when the topic of purchasing a business came up.  The specifics seemed bad to me but an offer was made against my advice that thankfully fell through.  Around Christmas 2017 / New Years 2018 the idea to purchase three condos to put on airBNB was floated.  Again I was horrified.  My Uncle's rationale for doing this seemed deeply flawed. He presented spreadsheet analysis, only after my urging that were supposed to demonstrate "how profitable" this would be.  They had mistakes and also seemed to contain assumptions that were too optimistic.  The projected profits in the best case scenario were minuscule amounts, i.e. "not worth the trouble and risk"! Luckily that topic faded from interest also and no purchase was made (to my knowledge).  When I asked about it a month or two later, the answer was kind of vague and non-committal but I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Now most recently, at the beginning of February 2018 my Uncle wrote me explaining how he wants to buy a home because it's "cheaper" than renting.  He originally said he thought he could buy a house so cheaply that he would be able to resell it in 3-5 years at a profit and it would be "much cheaper" than renting.  He mentioned he would get a 99 year land lease, fully transferable to his heirs.  As I started reading up on Thai real estate law and asking pointed it questions, it became clear to me that he didn't really understand all the ramifications of Thai real estate law, land leases, usufructs, the illegality of "nominee ownership", the difficulty in guaranteeing land lease renewal and transferability.  And more. He would always ignore the question when I asked who was providing legal advice, how much they are charging, and how he knows this person is competent and trustworthy.

E-mails have been going back and forth for a month now. A new situation is presented usually with a spreadsheet analysis, but the details keep changing.  The price range of the home, how long it will be kept, calculations on true total costs, etc.  The parameters have ranged from 4.8M THB - 5.8M THB.  The time he's planning to keep the home started with 3-5 years, then expanded to "maybe 10" and now it's 15.  The changes in the holding period  all seem to be attempts to demonstrate how it's "cheaper" than renting.  But all of the analysis he provided had significant errors in them (read mistaking $30,000 for $150,000, or estimating that rent inflates by 19% per annum - errors of that magnitude), and neglected many of the true costs of purchasing a home (taxes, legal advice, maintenance, etc.) and any mention of "risks" were always either dismissed or ignored.  Sometimes he explains the errors as intentional "99 year land lease is what we use in the states, I know it's 30, I only used that to make it simple", or just dismisses them as not important or relevant, "those are careless errors, they don't matter", "time value of money is irrelevant for me", etc.

The latest version that he has "decided" to purchase a home for 5.2M THB.  He will solve all the complications with the land lease by simply putting the home and the land in her name.  He has not yet obtained any legal advice but he is "sure it's cheap and easy to find" and that there must be a lot of options for "good legal advice for expats".  He has put down a non-refundable 200,000 THB on this home. It requires him to complete the deal within 30 days or it will be lost.  He has not addressed when he plans to seek legal advice or how he will identify a competent, trustworthy and reasonably priced advisor.

Needless to say I expressed my shock, alarm and disapproval to which my uncle responded that he "could not see how I could logically justify my opinion that he should not buy a house" and that I have "failed to justify this opinion with facts or logic".  He then referred to all of my objections as "throwing a bunch of s*** against the wall to see what would stick" and that "nothing has stuck that leads to the conclusion that I should not buy a house".  He then concludes that buying this home is definitely cheaper than renting.

He then asks for the "non-monetary reasons which support my opinion" (I have given him pages worth, many with links to news articles, legal blogs, expat blogs, etc.). He asks "Is there any piece of critical information that I am withholding" that would support my opinion.   He then goes on to suggest that if I have nothing else to add that he is "100% aware of all the pertinent facts" and he can "see no reason not to purchase the house at this point."

I am speechless and dumbfounded, the very e-mail he was replying to stating all of this had many pertinent facts about real estate purchases in Thailand, better more realistic analysis of the costs, lists of the risks and an explanation that simply putting land free and clear in the name of a girlfirend (or "fiance") is the worst imaginable way to do it.  I stated that over and over in at least 5-10 previous e-mails.

I am dumbfounded and speechless.  What can I do?  Does anyone have any advice?

25 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

What do his own children have to say, do they share your concerns?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

One yes, the other doesn't maintain much of a role in his life. Kind of apathetic, disinterested.

32 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

You havent mentioned his assets and income, which are totally relevant.

Why are his assets and income relevant in a discussion of trying to prevent him from being robbed of 5M THB? Anyway he has no income and he has some savings, he has enough to buy that house, however bad of an idea it is, but he isn't rich.

i would have a man to man talk with him and say :

" there is the chance that the prostitute intend to scam you,

i suggest keep your assets safe and pay to play on a monthly basis at most,

to keep her loyalty & affection, cause affection end at the moment you pay up"

/end quote

• Like 2

His best bet would be to buy a condo in his own name , he cannot own land or a house in his name but he can own a condo . I would try that avenue of persuasion but at his age he is going to do what others don’t want him to do also make sure he makes out a will. It is very easy to find out if he is legally married as it has to be registered if it’s just a monks blessing which it may well be he is not officially married. Hope you can get him sorted before he loses everything .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If he married her and is 75, it's all hers anyway.

She will inherit.

If he leaves a Thai will he can pick and choose who he wants to leave his riches to I was always under the impression if he did not make a will 50% goes to his wife and 50 % goes to his children 

Your uncle is an old man in is final years and he seems to know it.  I see an old man who has found a lady to take care of him and is very grateful to her.  He wants to thank her for being there for him and would like to see that she has a place to live after he passes.  It is his money and he should be able to spend it in a way that makes him happy. 

Of course he should protect himself at the same time.  If he has not yet legally married, he should go through with the house purchase before getting married if it is his plan to be married.  When the house is purchased and placed in the ladies name and at that same time a usufruct and / or lease registered at the land department should be drawn up to protect him with a place to live.  Then if he marries her later, his rights to the property are something that he had prior to the marriage and therefore if a divorce should happen rights would stay 100% in his name. 

Finally, there is the old saying that all of us who have lived here for a while know "Never invest more than you can afford to throw away in Thailand". 

• Like 1

She'll dump him and grab it all for herself. If the house is in her name, then he has no rights whatsoever. Not even residency rights.

Love drunk and knocking on. She'll hang him out to dry and she'll make a nice profit from it. It's a classic trick.

You've tried your best. He won't listen. He'll learn the hard way or he'll die before he realizes what he's signed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a mate in Jomtien who is in a similar situation . Bought  a 5million baht guesthouse in her name 5 years ago, same age gap and she is still with him..she could have walked at any time . Surprised me thats for sure I thought his goose was cooked

• Like 1

The 'better to buy a condo' idea raised by some posters is a much better idea, in terms of him being protected from any relationship failure. He should also establish a will in Thailand and pass the condo to her on his death. I have a friend who did this and then the relationship broke down. He then made a quick trip to the lawyer and had her name removed from the will, very easy.

If he does in fact stay with this girl for a number of years and then passes away, she can do with it what she wants - rent it out, sell it etc. If she has looked after him and provided him with company for a period (hopefully long) of time, then surely it's not unreasonable to do this. Why should she walk away with nothing ?

Having said all the above, I understand your concerns, but guess what, he worked all his life for what he has and is entitled to do with it whatever makes him happy. 

The beneficiaries of his will in farang land should take a leaf out of his book, and go to work for a few decades, save their money, and then, they too will have the pleasure of doing with it what they want in their old age.

• Like 2