Thai Xenophobia

samtam

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats exactly right mate and thats what i been telling them all along. :o

With your limited experience and pink-tinted glasses I doubt you are in a position to tell anyone anything about life here.

Don't assume anything about anyone TAWP unless you know the facts ... you will find that Terry has spent a lot of time here in Thailand ...more than enough time to qualify his opinion.

Those pink tinted glasses are called 'positive thinking' .. maybe you and the other whingers should try them sometime....

thats exactly right mate and thats what i been telling them all along. :D

With your limited experience and pink-tinted glasses I doubt you are in a position to tell anyone anything about life here.

Don't assume anything about anyone TAWP unless you know the facts ... you will find that Terry has spent a lot of time here in Thailand ...more than enough time to qualify his opinion.

Those pink tinted glasses are called 'positive thinking' .. maybe you and the other whingers should try them sometime....

:o:D

My concern with xenophobia is not whether or not it exists. It certainly does exist and has existed here since I've been here. It also exists in nearly every country. My concern is whether or not the gov't encourages or sanctions it. That is when it becomes quite uncomfortable.

The fact that people do or do not like me because of my race, gender, weight age etc. is of little concern. Some of these things I can do nothing about, some I can. However, when a gov't starts to say it's OK to treat me badly because of these things or to double charge me, or whatever...then I have concerns.

I have seen quite a bit of xenophobia in Thailand, but it is very much neutralized because of the non-confrontational manner of the people. The fact that they want to cause a problem means not generally carrying through on "doing" something unpleasant.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me (at least not much).

My concern with xenophobia is not whether or not it exists. It certainly does exist and has existed here since I've been here. It also exists in nearly every country. My concern is whether or not the gov't encourages or sanctions it. That is when it becomes quite uncomfortable.

The fact that people do or do not like me because of my race, gender, weight age etc. is of little concern. Some of these things I can do nothing about, some I can. However, when a gov't starts to say it's OK to treat me badly because of these things or to double charge me, or whatever...then I have concerns.

I have seen quite a bit of xenophobia in Thailand, but it is very much neutralized because of the non-confrontational manner of the people. The fact that they want to cause a problem means not generally carrying through on "doing" something unpleasant.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me (at least not much).

I can relate to what you say.

As a member of multiple minority groups, I have always said "it's OK as long as they don't shoot me." As an expat, I would add, as long as they don't shoot me OR deport me.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes I agree. Government policy does encourage it as well.

I still enjoy living here,but not to admit that xenophobia is alive and well is to have your head in the sand.

To me it's akin to thinking that Thai people on the whole dive very well on the roads during Songkran.... :o . You will always get the dick heads that say if you don't like it go home.Where they get that attitude from,i'm buggered if I know.

There are problems in all Countries,nothing is perfect,but to deny it, is just plain silly really.

There is a huge difference between:

-"Xenophobia exists in Thailand" (that is of course true, as everywhere in the world)

and

-"Thai are xenophobic" (that seem to be what some people think here, or maybe i misunderstood)

And I hope I misunderstood.

t

XENOPHOBIA = noun = " intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries."

Its human nature to distrust those different or strange to us. Personally, I think it goes back to the caveman days when a person couldn't trust someone not from their tribe.

Phobia = fear. Most normal people have secret fears. If they can't find a name or a reason for it - isn't it easiest to pin it on a stranger, colour, language or religion. Admit it, is anyone out there, not to mention Thais, absolutely without prejudice?

thats exactly right mate and thats what i been telling them all along. :o

That's telling him, david, I'll 2nd that.

As a kid i used acid to get that effect of a slightly blurred reality. But it's a bit strong for me now.

I must try then those pink glasses some time.

:o

Thais are "educated" to be very nationalistic. "Education" is a flattery actually, more like a brain-washing, tbh. Sometimes this spills over into xenophobia. Its not long that rented Isarn mobs were sent into the Bangkok Universities, murdering their own Thai students suspected of Communism, so nobody will convince me otherwise.

I speak and write fluent Thai, so I also understand what people are saying in my proximity, and I'm usually referred to as "it" or "muhn" in Thai, unless they twig that I fully understand.

This is not usually a problem, the educated Thais are a lot better in this respect, but also a lot better at hiding their true feelings also.

Thaksin was a clever guy in fostering ultra-nationalism here. Its the only thing Thais ever agree on. Any scoundrel can wrap themselves in the flag here, and legions of up-country folk will jump on the band wagon in support. Nationalism definitely got worse after he came to power, and the rights of foreigners living here took a plunge, just as he bailed out to his newly-bought palace in London. Ironic, no?

When everything is going smoothly here, its a great place to live, but when problems (legal or otherwise) occur and / or accountability is required, then you will always be 2nd best. The system will not support you here. It is geared to do the opposite.

excuse me you are USUALLY referred to as mun. where the hel_l do you hang out? my thai skills are nowhere near as great yours, but i could spot it if if i was being called mun on a daily basis.

tbh i find your posts are as bigoted and rude as you claim thais to be.

In correct German a girl (Fräulein) is an "it". Babies too, regardless of gender. They don't take offence. Being an old f##t, the BGs call me "papaa". I don't mind this at all, at least they're taking the trouble to speak to me. But you should see the speed I take off at if they start calling me "my bladder". Thais are as sensitive to bad manners as any other folk. If one offends me, I take him or her very quietly to one side and simply say "Mai suphap". It always works for me and I often hear "kaw tot" as a reply. I think this means excuse me, I never studied Thai, but at least they have a sorry look on their faces when they say it. This is communication, I don't have trouble anywhere I go because I don't forget my manners and nobody can make me look small without my permission. Younger people everywhere are a little short on respect, ask their parents. I know this because I teach young people and they think they know it all, just like you and I when we were their age. Don't show anyone your blind side. And taking offence is a blind side.

In correct German a girl (Fräulein) is an "it". Babies too, regardless of gender. They don't take offence. Being an old f##t, the BGs call me "papaa". I don't mind this at all, at least they're taking the trouble to speak to me. But you should see the speed I take off at if they start calling me "my bladder". Thais are as sensitive to bad manners as any other folk. If one offends me, I take him or her very quietly to one side and simply say "Mai suphap". It always works for me and I often hear "kaw tot" as a reply. I think this means excuse me, I never studied Thai, but at least they have a sorry look on their faces when they say it. This is communication, I don't have trouble anywhere I go because I don't forget my manners and nobody can make me look small without my permission. Younger people everywhere are a little short on respect, ask their parents. I know this because I teach young people and they think they know it all, just like you and I when we were their age. Don't show anyone your blind side. And taking offence is a blind side.

I just hope English language is not what the young people are learning from you.

I just hope English language is not what the young people are learning from you.

German actually :o English is only my hobby. I hope to learn good inglish like wot gets spoke in this nobel furum.

Do you have ways of making them talk?

Yup. It's called provocation, kids can't resist a challenge. They talk because they want the last word :D

The secret of boring people lies in telling them everything - Voltaire

He missed that one Acquiesce :o

I'm pleased someone got it! :D

I think xenophobia is alive and doing very well for itself, thankyou, here among the higher circles, most definately sanctioned by Government. I remember a few months ago the barney I had with an official at the District office when I had to sign a doccument. He refused to believe I was British because the term was not in his book, therefore I must be Irish. After about 30 minutes I politely but firmly took his book and showed him "of United Kingdom." He responded by saying that did not mean British, but we eventually worked it out. I also pointed out that the USSR no longer exists as per his precious book and indeed had not existed since December 31, 1991.

What annoyed me was being treated like I was too stupid to know my own nationality! On the reverse side, however....

As I write this from my favorite watering hole, I am listening to an old farang moron who constantly berates the staff about everything. Rather than giving him a much deserved kick in the knackers, they try to cool him down. Upon speaking to the staff about this twonk I was told that they bear the rest of us no ill will because of the imperious actions of one idiot which I feel goes to show many Thai folks do not tar us all with the same brush. Maybe we could reciprocate a little more sometimes.

Having been a Thai visitor for over 10 year, being married to a Thai woman and having 2 kids with her, living now in Bangkok, but still not fluent in Thai, I have my own, very biased and personal view on this subject. I might add that I am from Switzerland and I have seen political and xenophobic tendencies in and also around Switzerland, such as in Germany, France etc.

In my view, Thai are NOT xenophobic at all. In the contrary, most Thai people LOVE foreigners and LOVE everything imported, which they consider to be of much higher quality than domestic stuff.

I would say that Thais are proud to be Thai and proud of their country, their King, their heritage etc. It amazes me every time that the national anthem is played twice a day on the radio and TV and everybody gets up to listen to the Thai anthem even before a movie starts. In Europe, we would have called that Nationalism and that would have brought up some bad memories of the 30ies and 40ies. Now this is certainly not a danger here, it's just my personal uneasy feeling, just like when I see all the military-like dressed civil servants and now even the CNS (Thai Military Government). Bad experience in Europe makes me very suspicious of every military uniform in a government. But that's me.

When I had my wedding ceremony, 8 years ago, in a Thai province, the local politic leader was invited and he delivered a speech. He said, he wonders what was my wife's secret to get a "farang" and perhaps she can now share her secret with the local girls. No need to say that I felt very welcome and even a bit special.

Now, recent moves by the new military Government have brought up the question if Thai, and in particular the Thai Government is biased against foreigners. To cite just a few moves: Visa restrictions, confiscation of 30% of monetary funds brought into Thailand, requirement that more than 50% of voting power of any company must be in the hand of Thai nationals etc. I believe this is just the result of one single person in the actual government and we all have our opinion about his competence. But this is not an attitude shared by other Thais.

Don't forget, this Government has NOT been elected by Thai people, so it cannot claim to be the legal or legitimate representative of the Thai people.

Right on the money! A lot of real ignorance about Thai appearing here. I haven't read through all the many pages of this topic so I might be repeating what others have said, but Thai parents, including my wife, often refer to their children as 'mun.' Mun Farang is the word for potato, and sometimes Thais like to play off that term for their own or others amusement. If you don't know much Thai and you are listening for insults you will hear them even when they are not there.

I think you don't really get it.

Most use "mun", when talking about friends and relatives. But "mun", when applied to strangers in their presence, or when describing highly respected people, is extremely impolite.

If you use "mun" in situation with strangers, in formal settings, or when describing highly respected people, you will show your own ignorance of which forms of Thai is used for which occasion.

And when a complete stranger uses "mun" to describe me, instead of "khao", than this is highly impolite and offensive.

Maybe it is advisable for some here to use Thai outside their own family setting, and interact with Thais of many different social spheres to learn what language is to be used where, and what not.

I think the big difference is the crowd you hang out with. Lived here now 17 years since 1980, speak, read, write, yada, yada, and I cannot even recall hearing anyone refer to me as 'mun'. If it isn't that, perhaps it is something more personal? Although we live in the same country, I just don't recognize the Thailand you go on about--and I have never been known as an optimist either!

Do you have ways of making them talk?

Yup. It's called provocation, kids can't resist a challenge. They talk because they want the last word :D

The secret of boring people lies in telling them everything - Voltaire

He missed that one Acquiesce :o

I'm pleased someone got it! :D

Just didn't register as I'm not German. I think the one about the last word got by you too.

I think the big difference is the crowd you hang out with. Lived here now 17 years since 1980, speak, read, write, yada, yada, and I cannot even recall hearing anyone refer to me as 'mun'. If it isn't that, perhaps it is something more personal? Although we live in the same country, I just don't recognize the Thailand you go on about--and I have never been known as an optimist either!

The Thailand i hang out in about 70 percent of my time not many farang spend much time in. I am used to the disbelieve when i tell people about my world. Can't help it though, other that in person it is a lot easier to convince people of the realities i see day in day out.

In Thailand there is a huge discrepancy between image and reality, and at the same time there is a vast gap between rich and poor. I spend most of my time in the reality of the not so fortunate. Phuket, high so discos and such are places i very rarely come in contact with nowadays.

Yes, it is something personal - personal choice. My choice though is different than most people's choice.

Better believe me - the Thailand i "go on about" does exist very much so, even though it is conveniently ignored by most who are not forced to live there.

But isn't that a large part of Thailand - people tend to ignore that they choose to, and it is made very easy to do that?