Relationships and age differences, a personal case study

GoDucks

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The age difference in our relationship is less than the OP's, but still 'asymmetric , and we've had 8 happy years together so far - but I do have one concern about our relationship - and that's sometimes I feel I may be taking the best years of her life, and I worry about what will happen after I'm gone.  I've discussed this with her several times, and asked if she'd be better off with a younger man, but this results in tears and the silent treatment.  She says it's her decision, and that she does now want anyone else. 

I do think I get the lion's share of the benefits in the relationship - in addition to her 'Bollywood' looks (she's Thai but has some Indian genes in her pool), she has a very caring nature and a sparky intelligence.  She has her own businesses, but I've also helped her to invest in property to secure her future - although she sees this as investing in 'our' future, but the reality is that I will expire long before her.

Nice post and one I can too relate too. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You were fine until this statement.  I hope your wife doesn't have the same, lame, hi-so attitude as you. 

Huh?  You lost me there.  So I had lousy experiences in marriage and dating Western women back home. I thought that is why most of us were here.  That, and the cost of living on retirement income in most western countries.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Huh?  You lost me there.  So I had lousy experiences in marriage and dating Western women back home. I thought that is why most of us were here.  That, and the cost of living on retirement income in most western countries.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.  I thought you were talking about the current wife and how she's better off than other local girls married to local guys.  My mistake. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Ah!   Perhaps the vagaries of the art of English comprehension?      I have met a number of Thai women I could have settled with.   I chose her.  Since then (mainly through her) I have met several more of equal attributes:  personality, attitude, relationship values etc, but I had already chosen her and have no plans on trading, up, down or sideways.   Very few Westerners even begin to tick enough of the boxes for me.  I am very happy to be here and with her.  Against all the alternatives available at this time of my life, this is a very good relationship/lifestyle 

I'm with you on western women, but I think that is the tragedy of our time, that western men can't find a western woman that they would want to marry, and have to look to places like LOS for that.

I worked with many women and had some close female friends, but although most were nice people, because of western PC attitudes that have become ingrained in the culture, I never even considered one to marry. I had resigned myself to never being married. Then I discovered Thailand. In the end, I picked the wrong woman, but I do not doubt that there is the right one out there if I wanted to try again ( I don't, but not because I've gone off Thai women ).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm with you on western women, but I think that is the tragedy of our time, that western men can't find a western woman that they would want to marry, and have to look to places like LOS for that.

I worked with many women and had some close female friends, but although most were nice people, because of western PC attitudes that have become ingrained in the culture, I never even considered one to marry. I had resigned myself to never being married. Then I discovered Thailand. In the end, I picked the wrong woman, but I do not doubt that there is the right one out there if I wanted to try again ( I don't, but not because I've gone off Thai women ).

Don't give up.  If you live here you have got a much better chance of finding a good one than as a tourist.  Good Thai women are culturally difficult for a foreigner to meet. I am sure that most of us who never met our women through bars etc did so through business/work or introductions from friends on either his or her side. Much better to look outside the tourist towns too.  Nothing against bar friends but being a good playmate does not necessarily qualify her for being a good life helpmate. The hooker with the heart of gold surely exists but is in the minority in the real world. I have met some great fun  girls from the entertainment sector but I have only 2 friends lucky enough to find a truly faithful life mate there.  Of course  I know only very few Thai Visa folk personally but realize that quite  a number claim to have beaten the odds and struck it lucky.  Hope you have success second time round. 

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 7:52 PM, GoDucks said:

So I thought I would update everyone.  Its been 8 months since I started this thread and--all still good.  My girl spends more time at my condo now.  Her family are fully aware that I am her bf and she stays with me on occasion.  She is still amazingly chill and kind and sweet.  Still seems crazy about me.  Going on 3 yers since we first met and 2.5 since we became a couple.

Honestly, never been happier.

Not gonna go into that "see, I told you so" corner  ????

But here's cheers from the told-you-so couple @ Jomtien, with 9 days to go until the 3-years cake.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:52 PM, GoDucks said:

So I thought I would update everyone.  Its been 8 months since I started this thread and--all still good.  My girl spends more time at my condo now.  Her family are fully aware that I am her bf and she stays with me on occasion.  She is still amazingly chill and kind and sweet.  Still seems crazy about me.  Going on 3 yers since we first met and 2.5 since we became a couple.

Honestly, never been happier.

If your happy dating a 20 year old at your age who cares?  of course she loves you I mean why wouldn't a beautiful 20 year old love a 50+ ?  go for it, enjoy the illusion who cares?  Luckily we live in a place where it doesn't matter and 50+ year old sad gits can date beautiful young girls. Enjoy it!

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

If your happy dating a 20 year old at your age who cares?  of course she loves you I mean why wouldn't a beautiful 20 year old love a 50+ ?  go for it, enjoy the illusion who cares?  Luckily we live in a place where it doesn't matter and 50+ year old sad gits can date beautiful young girls. Enjoy it!

Why the "sad gits" thingy...?

32 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No woman has ever loved me for myself, so I might as well choose a young one.

Being an Incel would make me sad, here I'm happy.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Well, let's see I am 65 My wife is  39 going on 40. That is an age difference of 26 years.

Announcement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been together for the last 12+ years

We met when she was just 26

So you see May December relationships can work out

Anyone who criticizes  two people together with a big age gap should

have a look at their own relationship.

Chances are they are not too successful

• Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, GoDucks said:
On 3/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, marko kok prong said:

Good luck to the op but a 34 year age gap is a fair one,my first Thai wife was 10 years younger than me my second is 13 years younger i am 53.It is hard enough to have a lot in common due to cultural differences,but we mostly get on fine,but i really don't know what i would talk about with a 20 year old.

Surprisingly we like a lot of the same music, enjoy the same movies, enjoy the same kind of activities, and as one of those girls who has liked Western culture for most of her life its weird how many things she is aware of--like Scoobi doo as an odd example.  I almost think her age is an advangage as she grew up being exposed to internet and all things Western.

As an example a few months back a Green Day song came up and she was singing along... A bit surprised I asked "You like Green Day?"  She said yes they were one of her favorites...

Here are some things you should consider going forward:

1. You will deteriorate going forward much faster than she, so the age gap will effectively increase. She'll be mid-30's and in prime condition when you're pushing 70. At that point, if you're still together, she may have big regrets when she realises she's waking up next to an old man. My wife is constantly putting expensive skin care products on my face these days to preserve my looks the best she can for as long as she can as my face wrinkles up and ages LOL. Meeting her family will prove interesting too as you will be older than her parents.

2. At 20, she will change more over the next decade than at any other point in her life. I was with my current wife when she was 20, and now, over a decade later she's a different person entirely with totally different thought processes. How many of us are the same as we were at age 20? I was a lot younger than you are now when I started out with her, so the perceived age gap wasn't as great, nor was the actual age gap.

3. She could be playing a skilful long game... pretending she's not after any money now to impress you, and it seems to be working. A lot of women seek old guys that won't be around too long for obvious reasons.