Death of Year 10 student in Buriram: song thaew driver, other motorcyclist deny negligence

webfact

17 hours ago, Russell17au said:

One of the most disturbing things that happened with this accident is that there is a possibility the the Songtheaw driver did not see or feel the student go under his bus ...

That he didn't see the the student go under the bus is possible, I suppose - although he is quoted as saying he saw the accident, in which case I think it unlikely that he would have missed seeing the student come off the bike and head straight in front of his vehicle. However there's absolutely zero chance in my opinion that he didn't feel anything as he ran over him. As I mentioned earlier, even if you run over a small piece of wood in a vehicle with very good suspension you still feel it. As far as I'm concerned there's no way on God's green earth that a songthaew driver could run over a human body and not know about it.

20 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

Doesn't anyone think it is the fault of the dead kid, no helmet, didn't slow down when aiming straight for a bike joining the traffic?

I do.  While the scooter entering and taking a wide line was at fault, it is to be expected here.  I used to race.  Race bikes do not have mirrors.  It is incumbent on you to not hit the rider in front of you.  The deceased trusted the merging rider would keep a tight line.  Assumptions will kill you here.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, trianglechoke said:

Doesn't anyone think it is the fault of the dead kid, no helmet, didn't slow down when aiming straight for a bike joining the traffic?

NO! :saai:

58 minutes ago, just bob said:

I do.  While the scooter entering and taking a wide line was at fault, it is to be expected here.  I used to race.  Race bikes do not have mirrors.  It is incumbent on you to not hit the rider in front of you.  The deceased trusted the merging rider would keep a tight line.  Assumptions will kill you here.

I learned - STOP - before you drive from a secondary road or a parking lot or your home on a main road,

same it happened here! 

Thais drive out and onto roads without any hindsight! :shock1:  :post-4641-1156693976:

On 08/03/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mattd said:

Well, this is true................. technically though, I do think that they are meant to be inside of the white line.

Technically..?  There’s nothing technical about the way these muppets ride motorbikes. You would of thought even for his own safety, that the side soi biker would have wanted to check for traffic, life seems very cheap here.

To be honest, I don’t even know why we are all debating this, nothing will ever change.  Songkran is on it’s way, there will be deaths like this a few hundred times a DAY!  No one learns from this, and they can’t be bothered either..

RIP young lad, wrong place, wrong time. 

8 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Technically..?  There’s nothing technical about the way these muppets ride motorbikes. You would of thought even for his own safety, that the side soi biker would have wanted to check for traffic, life seems very cheap here.

100% agree, most people from Western countries simply could not pull out without looking, self preservation and plain common sense just would not let you, not even if you tried hard, especially on a bike where you are so vulnerable.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, Humpy said:

There was mention in a previous post by  Russell 17au.....'' looks like the student went down below his (song thaew driver's) line of sight '' .

Difficult when half his windscreen was festooned with stickers and perhaps a few dangling ecclesiastical nick knacks !!....

like so many lorries, buses and mini vans !!

st.JPG

Having read nearly all the comments on this terrible accident I notice no reference to the song thaew's windscreen covered in stickers. Perhaps a good many Thai Visa readers have much the same on their car windows and 'lucky' charms hanging from their rear view mirrors........ not forgetting the heavily tinted windows all round. 

I was in a slow moving traffic flow when a car was waiting to join from a side road. To get a better view of the tail back he wound down his heavily tinted  window and he was wearing sunglasses. !!

• Haha 1