Joy turns to grief as mother expecting twins dies in Bangkok

webfact

Joy turns to grief as mother expecting twins dies in Bangkok

5pm.jpg

A family's joy that a young Bangkok woman was expecting twins turned to horror when she suddenly died from complications at a Bang Na hospital.

The story of Suphanuch or "Eve", 23, has been featured on Amarin TV and reported in the Thai media after her husband Kriengkrai or "Golf" went on Facebook to talk about what happened.

Everyone was thrilled that Eve was pregnant after a first ultrasound. After a second ultrasound at the Bang Na hospital where the pregnancy was being monitored that joy was doubled - it was twins.

However, thereafter Eve had some blood discharge. The doctor was apparently not too concerned and she was sent home with some tablets.

But her condition worsened and when she was checked again she was found to be suffering from thalassemia a blood disorder characterized by abnormal production of hemaglobin.

According to the Facebook post her blood sugar level was through the roof, her liver and kidneys were shutting down and the doctors needed to remove her uterus and abort the pregnancy.

It was claimed that the pregnancy was outside the uterus.

Eve soon died.

The husband wants to know why the problems were not picked up earlier.

Mother Nongnapas, 56, said Eve was her youngest of two girls. She said that she was always in robust good health. As she sat in front of her coffin at a temple in Samrong yesterday she begged for her to die instead of her daughter.

The father has entered the monkhood in grief for 15 days.

The hospital has set up a committee of investigation and will announce its findings shortly, they said.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-09

nothing new there,  SENT HOME WITH TABLETS , about the norm here, hello, i am not a doctor but early bleeding, ?? <deleted> even i know there is something drastically wrong here. sorry poor lady you never got the attention you deserved, who they gonna blame , cant blame the brakes this time, very SAD

5 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

nothing new there,  SENT HOME WITH TABLETS , about the norm here, hello, i am not a doctor but early bleeding, ?? <deleted> even i know there is something drastically wrong here. sorry poor lady you never got the attention you deserved, who they gonna blame , cant blame the brakes this time, very SAD

3 years ago, I was sent home in BKK with tablets after passing an EKG and stress test.  2 days later, I had bypass surgery because I didn't accept the diagnosis (or the pills) and insisted on going to the next level of testing.  Pissed off my cardiologist, but I'm sure glad I didn't believe him.  I wish I hadn't believed him in the 3 years of annual stress tests and quarterly EKG's before that.  May have gotten by with stents instead of a bypass had I demanded the next level of testing 3 years earlier.  Or 2 years earlier.  Or...

This tragedy is another cautionary tale about the Thai medical system.  GET A SECOND OPINION!  Even if the news is good news.

Thalassemia, sometimes called sickle cell annemia, is suprisingly common here. I was always under the impression that the mis-shaped red blood cells were constantly attacked and destroyed by white blood cells causing thinning of the blood etc. Ex-girl friend had it and if it got bad one of the first signs, for her anyway, was the start of slight bleeding of the gums along with extreme tiredness. From memory steriod tablets would help to restore some sort of balance.

Not sure but 'perhaps' a combination of neg' blood type problems and thalassemia could be much more serious.

Anyway, sad story.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But her condition worsened and when she was checked again she was found to be suffering from thalassemia a blood disorder characterized by abnormal production of hemaglobin.

Sort of strange as Thai government hospitals test for Thalassemia (and 4 other blood  conditions that might affect the pregnancy) with both the mother and father the moment pregnancy is confirmed.

Being a foreigner, I had to pay 250bht for my tests (hers were free).

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It was claimed that the pregnancy was outside the uterus.

If this was the case this situation should have been immediately identified very early on during the prenatal term. Likely abort the fetuses to save the woman's life?

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Thalassemia, sometimes called sickle cell annemia, is suprisingly common here. I was always under the impression that the mis-shaped red blood cells were constantly attacked and destroyed by white blood cells causing thinning of the blood etc. Ex-girl friend had it and if it got bad one of the first signs, for her anyway, was the start of slight bleeding of the gums along with extreme tiredness. From memory steriod tablets would help to restore some sort of balance.

Not sure but 'perhaps' a combination of neg' blood type problems and thalassemia could be much more serious.

Anyway, sad story.

I am of greek descent and occasionally if they do a high tech extra test, I register as slight beta thalassemia.  But the main thing I get from this article is they later claim the pregnancy was outside the uterus?  I think the word is ectopic pregnancy, which does happen, but two sonic scans and they couldn't detect that?  Sounds like the butcher covered his tracks by gutting the poor kid.

Archived