What's your regional UK accent even if you're not from the UK?

Jingthing

hey...I seen that...and I lived in the east midlands, unfortunately in the late 80s and early 90s...in Derby...

and I say: ' yew alright, duuk?...' with the proper intonation, of course...

go down the road to Nottingham or Leicester (both east midlands towns) and they wouldn't understand ye...

now, Pasadena California is a whole different matter...'say bluhd...'

and now I speak thai with a Suphanburi accent...they drop consonants...

and I returned to the US in 1967 after 2 years in south america and I spoke english then with a spanish accent: 'where did you say that you're from?' 'I was born in Nashville and grew up in southern california...' 'yeah, sure...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

and when I took the test the result was 'west london' like Hugh Grant...and I lived in NW6 on the Kilburn High Road for 6 months; irish, afro carribean and pakistani...and the girl at the newsagent said: 'you read a lot of newspapers, are you a journalist?' and I strained to have look at her backside and said: 'well, sort of...presently not engaged and freelancing...' rolling the marbles around to the best effect...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I'm American I'm curious how other Americans so called British accents are categorized so please state your nationality when posting about results.

Do East Midlands people sound more American to Brits?

In real life pretty much every native English speaker places my accent as American.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nevermind tests. I fake Queens English. Especially when I am in company with Brits, wearing tatoos and wife beaters and drive big motorbikes. I am very popular, needless to say.
Cheers.
PS: I am making every effort to hide my nationality. Especially on this forum.:smile:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do East Midlands people sound more American to Brits?

Them East Midlands folks don't talk too much ...

Your result could be worse you could have been pegged as a "Yam Yam" from the Black Country (Y'am from round here).

Seriously, I don't think there is any traditional UK accent that could be mistaken for a US accent (nor vice-versa). But, there is to my ear, a definite trend of British youngsters speaking with affected US accents and using US phraseology. Definitely a lot of British "yoof" who try to speak like gangsta's.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:13 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

hey...I seen that...and I lived in the east midlands, unfortunately in the late 80s and early 90s...in Derby...

and I say: ' yew alright, duuk?...' with the proper intonation, of course...

go down the road to Nottingham or Leicester (both east midlands towns) and they wouldn't understand ye...

now, Pasadena California is a whole different matter...'say bluhd...'

and now I speak thai with a Suphanburi accent...they drop consonants...

and I returned to the US in 1967 after 2 years in south america and I spoke english then with a spanish accent: 'where did you say that you're from?' 'I was born in Nashville and grew up in southern california...' 'yeah, sure...'

Derby is slightly different to Nottingham and Leicester but all three will use "duck" as in "ay up me duck!".

I once went to a Karate grading day in Nottingham. As I walked in the building and up the stairs everyone I met, from 12 year old to 30 years and male and female all said "ay up" ! Not one variation out of a dozen people!!

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Derby is slightly different to Nottingham and Leicester but all three will use "duck" as in "ay up me duck!".

I think that 'yew alright...' is more prevalent in Derby, but yeah everyone uses 'duck', 'dook', 'duuuk'...

lotsa asians in Derby...guys in turbans calling each other 'duck'...

On 11/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, Kwasaki said:

East London it says for me but I would say South, North & West if from Working class London all the same, I'm always acknowledged as to my London Cockney accent.

There used to be many distinct accents in London.

North west, north east , east , south east  etc. It wasn't apparent to me

untill I lived in Melbourne for a year at the end of the 80's and my ear for accents 

seemed sharper.

This has almost certainly changed now as a high percentage of London's citizens

were raised elsewhere.

I'm from nth west London, live in the Highlands of Scotland and am often mistaken for

an okker!

I did the test and came up as east London. My brother lived in East ham and I went to a BBQ at his place one time, I guess the accent stuck with me!

Edited by shy coconut
Additions

Mine says West London, but I am from North Yorkshire. (Actually County of York, West Riding - is what it says on my birth certificate.)

But I was born, bred and buttered in Harrogate, which is pretty much the 'posh end' of Yorkshire, so I can see why it would think that. I do speak way more RP than Yorkshire.

'West London' seems to be the hold-all case. [I was brought up in NZ in a middle class family ie pseudo-posh English accents, then spent most of my adult life in Australia, first Melbourne then that epitome of Australian middle class life - Canberra.]

Seems I am from East London, suppose that's better than West London, but most of my life was in Saaaaf London....:stoner:

Told me West London too but I suppose that’s near to Saaaf London(Istan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've no idea.  Left the UK at the age of 8.  Can't remember how I spoke now.  But my guess, without a test?  I probably sounded like any other school kid who attended a private school in London back in the 50s. Harrow.  London school kid accent lol.  Probably a Hugh Grant Mini Me. 

Edited by connda

A Load of B oll ock s this daft quiz, Im born and bred Mancunian, with a thick Manc accent, I just done the quiz and it said Im a Foggy - Middlesboro? lol, they sound like Geordies to me?

When in the states (Florida) people always asked, are you from Australia? or Ireland?? I think thats is cos most yanks think we all speak like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins 555

Aint no Brummies ever sounded like a yank to me? Yon Down tha Villa? Roe N Chips please... lol