Prayuth Cleared To Join New Party

webfact

No law stops junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha from joining a newly formed political party that wants to nominate him to be prime minister come the next election, his aide said Tuesday.

If I understand this correctly the Party that nominates him must still win the election. Being nominated by a Party that doesn't win means that he is not PM, only an advisor to a bunch of losers. So basically no change from the present situation.    :shock1:

4 hours ago, robblok said:

So let me get this straight.. he can't run in an election.

So he can't be elected as a PM in the normal way (meaning running in an election collecting votes), but can only be appointed a PM by the senate as an outside PM.

This is bad, I would have wanted him to run at least then he would see how much people liked him (not that much IMHO).

Now it looks like its 100% sure he will return as an appointed PM.

Surely though policy  need to be voted through in order to be transposed into law.

So an outsider PM (probably quite unpopular with some potentially large factions of the parliament) will need a parliamentary majority to effectively run the country and pass laws, otherwise he will be a lame duck PM whose policy is consistently voted down?? right??

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

Surely though policy  need to be voted through in order to be transposed into law.

So an outsider PM (probably quite unpopular with some potentially large factions of the parliament) will need a parliamentary majority to effectively run the country and pass laws, otherwise he will be a lame duck PM whose policy is consistently voted down?? right??

It's all being deliberately set up to fail and fall into confusion and chaos   - so that the military will have to 'save the day' (yet again) and continue to rule the land 'for the good of the people' (the faux-elite) ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

So let me get this straight.. he can't run in an election.

So he can't be elected as a PM in the normal way (meaning running in an election collecting votes), but can only be appointed a PM by the senate as an outside PM.

This is bad, I would have wanted him to run at least then he would see how much people liked him (not that much IMHO).

Now it looks like its 100% sure he will return as an appointed PM.

In Thailand, as in many other countries, the Prime Minister is not voted in, but mostly, but not always, supplied by the party with the most seats in Parliament.

Presidents, the head of State, can be voted in.

A PM is not the head of State but the PRIME MINISTER, the head of the council of ministers.

6 minutes ago, hansnl said:

In Thailand, as in many other countries, the Prime Minister is not voted in, but mostly, but not always, supplied by the party with the most seats in Parliament.

A PM is not the head of State but the PRIME MINISTER, the head of the council of ministers.

I know that i probably was unclear in what i wrote down.

With running for PM I meant running in the election with a party.  This party seems to want to have him as an adviser, not someone they can vote for. Now what i want to know are there rules that forbid him from running in an election and having people vote for him or his party. This is different from the adviser function they are describing in the article. 

Can you imagine how nervous he was leading up to this 'descision'. Pacing the halls, up all night, snarling at his wife.....must have been terrible for him..

So theyve got the whole thing gerrmandered now and we can watch him sweep to power in a landslide victory the like of which have never been seen...

If ever theres a thing called fake news then this place is tops..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am not surprised he would try to get in as an appointed PM, I was however surprised he could not run in the election. 

I thought that he could.. others now say he can (im still unsure on that point). 

Apparently he can't. He is supposed to be politically neutral. That's why he can go campaigning all over the country on taxpayers money. Because he is not supposed to be politically motivated. 

Apparently, he is allowed to act as an advisor to a party. 

No different than taksin in Hong Kong. 

They both call the shots. 

Dress a pig up. It's still a pig. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

You raise a key issue. However, he may be able to govern through the Strategic Committee. The 20 years plan is compulsory and the Strategic Committee (controlled by the army) is charged of getting it implemented. The thing is that government agencies are legally bound to implement the decisions of the Strategic Committee. So civil servants are legally obliged to obey the Strategic Committee. 

The senate can also probably help him but I don't remember clearly its role in the new conctitution.

Well if anyone want a back stabber within their ranks why not , one of Prayut's best friends was the first female Prime Minister of Thaialnd , look where she is now, although give Prayut his due he did say for six weeks that he wasn't going to pull on a coup.....................................................:coffee1:. .

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's some things I would ask of any leader of this country in judging their performance:

--Have they done anything to reform the police service, lessen its corruption, and improve its fair law enforcement performance?

--Have they done anything to improve the country's poor education system, and to make it a system where students actually learn and learn to think for themselves?

--Have they done anything to improve the country's horrible record for vehicle safety and mass deaths and injuries?

--Have they done anything to lessen the massive income/wealth inequality between the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor?

I could keep throwing out additional, similar questions pertaining to different issues and sectors. But as regards the incumbent, the answer to all of the above questions is pretty clearly the same.

will any party be putting this stuff in their manifesto    ----    do they do manifesto's in thailand ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

The people not protesting already stamps their approval. And I dont want to hear the nonsense from posters that will follow that they are to shit scared. That is total nonsense..facts are its the most benign military coup in history

So a lengthy jail term doesn't scare people? The "facts" are that you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Actually the PM IS voted in, not directly by the electorate, but indirectly by the MP's. 

And since the new constitution has some new provision that the senate can vote on an "outsider PM" , the number of required votes in such a case is not 251 but 376. 

In this light it is also good to note that Prayuth already has 250 senate votes in his pocket, so all he needs is 126 MP's to become such an "outsider PM".

Democracy my ass. 

Edit to add: of course in such a case, he might still have a few issues on his hands, certainly if the remaining 374 MP's won't support his government, but I guess he will cross that bridge once he gets there. 

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's some things I would ask of any leader of this country in judging their performance:

--Have they done anything to reform the police service, lessen its corruption, and improve its fair law enforcement performance?

--Have they done anything to improve the country's poor education system, and to make it a system where students actually learn and learn to think for themselves?

--Have they done anything to improve the country's horrible record for vehicle safety and mass deaths and injuries?

--Have they done anything to lessen the massive income/wealth inequality between the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor?

I could keep throwing out additional, similar questions pertaining to different issues and sectors. But as regards the incumbent, the answer to all of the above questions is pretty clearly the same.

For a minute there I thought you were Prayut

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

And since the new constitution has some new provision that the senate can vote on an "outsider PM" , the number of required votes in such a case is not 251 but 376. 

I think the inclusion of the upper house will only kick in when the lower house reach an impasse in voting for the prime minister. Only then will the 2 houses combine to vote. Stand corrected. Anyone?