Car import - worth an attempt?

CLW

To start of with, I read many topics here about trouble and tax about foreign car import to Thailand.

I don't know if someone is following the recent debate in Germany about the diesel and NOx emissions.

To come to the point. Second hand car prices of diesel cars, that are less than five years old, hit rock bottom prices.

Would that justify an attempt to import a car to Thailand?

• Haha 1

Nobody - including myself - knows of anybody that has successfully done it.....

On mine they kept finding different clauses....Finally they told me the law changed while it was on the container ship.....

They kept it.....

One of the criteria they cited was you have to have owned it 3 years prior.....Which I had (7) ....

I miss that 4x4.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The fact that the US and EU will be banning diesel engined cars thus rendering them worthless will have no impact on what the Thai tax man reckons is in your wallet.

What will the Taxman make of Electric Cars.Brace yourself for another round off cock ups chaps.

• Sad 1

To do it all on your own would be tough, maybe even impossible as evident from the posts above.

However cars are imported to Thailand all the time. The "grey" market importers have a bit of a bad reputation, for good reasons of course, after some high profile super cars caught fire.

If you align yourself with a trustworthy company and let them handle the paperwork, it could very well be doable. 

Personally I wouldn't like to drive a car with the steering column in the left hand side in Thailand, so that close the doors for continental European and American cars.

What kind of cars have you been looking at? You mind sharing?

I do know of a family that imports 2,000 cars a year, but not only to Thailand. I what the import tax rules are at the moment next time I meed them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Pretty much anything is doable if you throw enough money at it and have infinite patience.

Read his thread. Took 2 years, no tea money, just jumping thru the hoops.

Research - then you will know. I read his post, so know what is what.

You did not - judging by the response above.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Read his thread. Took 2 years, no tea money, just jumping thru the hoops.

Research - then you will know. I read his post, so know what is what.

You did not - judging by the response above.

One success out of countless failures. One swallow does not a summer make.

• Like 2

Why is it such a problem ?  I'm aware of the huge duties and taxes that are levied, but apart from that why is it not an easy process ?  My wife was thinking of bringing our BMW to Thailand when we move there in a couple of years time. I don't want to do that - it is too old, finding someone knowledgeable to fix and maintain it, parts availability etc are issues as well as the economics don't make sense. Any other reasons not to would be very useful to have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If you align yourself with a trustworthy company and let them handle the paperwork, it could very well be doable.

Absolutely! Outsource to a professional if you are desperate for THAT car.

And don't try it for saving money!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No problem at all :biggrin:

Just read through this ("A Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles"):

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?lang=en&ini_content=individuals_151007_01&&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_01

A dozen or so papers from misc sources incl. the commerce ministry and from home country sources, a customs officer in good mood (which a stack of cash can help), pay 200+ percent tax and there you are.

Ignore the warnings, they are all envy because they have to buy locally :biggrin:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/vehicle-ownership/importing-a-car

I suggest to import cars which are close to unknown here so that you have some challenge for the mechanics. A diversion from their boring job of fixing Japanese trucks and cars.

I see - a bureaucratic nightmare. It mentions you need to present a work permit ? When coming to Thailand to retire you won't have one of those. Do anything slightly wrong, and they confiscate your car. Nice...

I was aware of the 200%+ tax but it depends on the value they assess. 

In terms of mechanics, BMWs seem so rare outside Bangkok I'd be concerned about any mechanic (outside of a BMW dealer perhaps) being able to fix the car, even if they like the "diversion". Anyway I think I have enough information now to advise my wife that it is a daft thing to be thinking of doing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

On mine they kept finding different clauses....Finally they told me the law changed while it was on the container ship.....

They kept it.....

One of the criteria they cited was you have to have owned it 3 years prior.....Which I had (7) ....

I miss that 4x4.....

i knew 1 guy that did import his car from the UK  he said he would never do it again and he has not, he buys his cars here now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i knew 1 guy that did import his car from the UK  he said he would never do it again and he has not, he buys his cars here now.

That had to be a good while ago......

I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Streetglide in US like new, new paint, new motor. Never wrecked.  Value in US @ $8500-9000 USD. Called several places in Thailand and had sticker shock to import to. HD BK told me to import would be almost same as buying new. New Streetglide is 1,800,000 Baht = $60,000 USD. 

I rent big bikes in CM and called owner to find out more. Told me he wanted to buy some Triumphs to rent for the shop. Now that Thai builds domestically then the high import tax would be removed. 

Nope...... now they add luxury tax. So I gave up on importing my Harley

and hate to say sold it yesterday in US. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As long as they can charge 200 or 300 percent duty onto a valuation they make which includes freight, you will probably end up doing do what most people who have tried, do and that is abandon the car to them to keep for themselves.  And they won't even say thank you for your car.  And you may one day see it being driven around BKK by someone's Mia noi.  Good luck if you choose to try. If I remember correctly the duty is 220 percent on under 2 litres and 330 percent over 2 litres but it is over 4 years ago that I did the exercise. 

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I see - a bureaucratic nightmare. It mentions you need to present a work permit ? When coming to Thailand to retire you won't have one of those. Do anything slightly wrong, and they confiscate your car. Nice...

I was aware of the 200%+ tax but it depends on the value they assess. 

In terms of mechanics, BMWs seem so rare outside Bangkok I'd be concerned about any mechanic (outside of a BMW dealer perhaps) being able to fix the car, even if they like the "diversion". Anyway I think I have enough information now to advise my wife that it is a daft thing to be thinking of doing.

Don't come to Khon Kaen because there are BMW's and Merc's everywhere here

• Like 1

I thought about bringing my car to Thailand but all the rubbish that you have to go through before you can even think about loading it onto a ship. Then when it does arrive the customs officer will put the value onto it for you then they add the freight and the freight insurance and then they will add a bit more just for good luck. This is the car that I wanted to bring to Thailand. It is an Australian built 1989 Ford LTD Stretch Limo and it was going to cost me from leaving Australia to landing it in Bangkok and driving it off the wharf was 2,000,000฿. The car is still in Australia.

0040.JPG

• Like 1

In a heartbeat, I would order one of these but would prefer not to risk having it in Thailand for many reasons, quite aside from the exorbitant 'jealousy tax'. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 05.26.32.png

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

They kept it.....

I miss that 4x4.....

My one friend did it, but he is Thai. He lived in the USA for 20 years and imported his Ferrari when he returned.  His family has connections so I'm sure that is why he got his in.  He is the only person I know of, several friends have talked about it. 

• Like 1