Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

On 3/16/2018 at 6:22 AM, Thian said:

And mind you, i am tall and wide (not fat) but that armrest in the middle is half mine for sure.

In my book common courtesy dictates that the armrests are ceded to the person sat in the center row seat. Nothing worse than being stuck in the center row with some self entitled prat sat next to you trying to claim as much turf as possible.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

In my book common courtesy dictates that the armrests are ceded to the person sat in the center row seat. Nothing worse than being stuck in the center row with some self entitled prat sat next to you trying to claim as much turf as possible.

That armrest is between 2 seats...so they have to share it, each half of the armrest.

And if one is too fat for that seat he has to book 2 of them..i'm tired of fatties who think they can do as they like...i sure will never accept anymore fat from a neighbour on my seat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/03/2018 at 7:15 AM, Thian said:

Complaining to the airline helps against obese persons.

On my flight Dubai BKK in Emirates i had the pleasure to have the belly of my neighbour on my arm for 6 hours...i asked for another chair but the plane was full.

It was disgusting and i won't fly with emirates anymore. They should ban fat people who don't fit in the chair.

...And I am sure that Emirates putting in an extra row of seats did not help either...

I once flew with them, never again, not even with my XXS Thai wife next to me.

Yes they serve very good food, but you have to eat it with your elbows firmly stuck together - I cant imagine what it would be like to fly with Emirates with a fatty for neighbour.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

...And I am sure that Emirates putting in an extra row of seats did not help either...

I once flew with them, never again, not even with my XXS Thai wife next to me.

Yes they serve very good food, but you have to eat it with your elbows firmly stuck together - I cant imagine what it would be like to fly with Emirates with a fatty for neighbour.

What's the big deal? If you fly with your XXS partner, you'll have plenty of room for yourself and the fatty. Put her next to the fatty and you're good to go.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

That armrest is between 2 seats...so they have to share it, each half of the armrest.

And if one is too fat for that seat he has to book 2 of them..i'm tired of fatties who think they can do as they like...i sure will never accept anymore fat from a neighbour on my seat.

I'm not talking about fatties, I'm talking in general terms, it's simple decency to allow the person in the center seat to have full use of the arm rest.

Good manners and decency towards you're fellow travelers don't cost anything, yet it's amazing how many people still don't have them. I blame it on air travel becoming affordable for the masses, sit in business whenever possible.

Edited by Fish Head Soup

59 minutes ago, tropo said:

What's the big deal? If you fly with your XXS partner, you'll have plenty of room for yourself and the fatty. Put her next to the fatty and you're good to go.

Except that if you sit in the XXS aisle, you will have passengers AND crew constantly bumping in to you.

22 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

I'm not talking about fatties, I'm talking in general terms, it's simple decency to allow the person in the center seat to have full use of the arm rest.

Good manners and decency towards you're fellow travelers don't cost anything, yet it's amazing how many people still don't have them. I blame it on air travel becoming affordable for the masses, sit in business whenever possible.

It''s impossible for me to not use that armrest cause my shoulder is above it. I can't help it that those chairs are not wide enough, i'm not fat just have an athletic body...and yes that's from doing a lot of sport (martial arts).

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Except that if you sit in the XXS aisle, you will have passengers AND crew constantly bumping in to you.

Well, that's a different problem. I'm not small, yet always survive isle seats, which is always my seat of choice. At least you have one dedicated armrest, and if you're next to Ms XXS, you have two.

Edited by tropo

On 3/15/2018 at 8:52 PM, Wiggy said:

Anybody with a 56-inch waist should go in the cargo hold.

Wow, some very cruel people here. Before I had to begin taking very high dosage prednisone for 2.5 years, the first time, I had a 32 inch waist at 206lbs. After 2.5 years I was at 324lbs, and the waist at 56 inches. My arms and legs did not show fat. Why because this is called Cushing’s Syndrome and regardless of what you do the fat will accumulate at stomach and abdomen along with ‘moon face’ and a ‘camel hump’ across your shoulders. The accumulated fat never disappears even with diet. The ‘moon face’ and ‘camel hump’ disappear months after getting off the prednisone. How do I know? Because I have been dealing with it for 35years. When I diet, my weight drops but it is in the rest of my body that really does not have a problem so then my legs can no longer even support my weight. Now I am tied to a wheelchair and have a 52 inch waist at 309. Yes, everytime someone looks at me they see the ‘fat guy’. This is what I have had to live with after serving in the military for 20 years and getting exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam in ‘68-‘69.

Let’s look at reality here. Nobody would say anything about those that make uninvited comments about those of us with ‘visible issues’ that do not conform to your limited vision and understanding, or is that comprehension, or that are very ‘narrow minded’, or really ‘dumber than a box of rocks’, or have an IQ below 100 because that would be undeserved and cruel. Sure I see both men and women obviously well over the max of recommended height to weight standards and wonder, albeit, to myself, how the hell can they fit into any seat, or sofa.  

Give some of us a break! We do not enjoy these comments!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HogRidr60 said:

Wow, some very cruel people here. Before I had to begin taking very high dosage prednisone for 2.5 years, the first time, I had a 32 inch waist at 206lbs. After 2.5 years I was at 324lbs, and the waist at 56 inches. My arms and legs did not show fat. Why because this is called Cushing’s Syndrome and regardless of what you do the fat will accumulate at stomach and abdomen along with ‘moon face’ and a ‘camel hump’ across your shoulders. The accumulated fat never disappears even with diet. The ‘moon face’ and ‘camel hump’ disappear months after getting off the prednisone. How do I know? Because I have been dealing with it for 35years. When I diet, my weight drops but it is in the rest of my body that really does not have a problem so then my legs can no longer even support my weight. Now I am tied to a wheelchair and have a 52 inch waist at 309. Yes, everytime someone looks at me they see the ‘fat guy’. This is what I have had to live with after serving in the military for 20 years and getting exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam in ‘68-‘69.

Let’s look at reality here. Nobody would say anything about those that make uninvited comments about those of us with ‘visible issues’ that do not conform to your limited vision and understanding, or is that comprehension, or that are very ‘narrow minded’, or really ‘dumber than a box of rocks’, or have an IQ below 100 because that would be undeserved and cruel. Sure I see both men and women obviously well over the max of recommended height to weight standards and wonder, albeit, to myself, how the hell can they fit into any seat, or sofa.  

Give some of us a break! We do not enjoy these comments!

Sorry to hear of your condition. 

2 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Sorry to hear of your condition. 

You and me both.

Hey WIGGY. A buddy of mine had 1 of those 6 cyclinder Honda motorcycles, I think about 106 HP. I had a 1980 750 Honda F. He could ‘run away’. From me as if my brakes were on. Even today, with my disabilities, I converted my 2007 Harley to a ‘trike’. Being disabled, can’t hold up a 875 lb motor. Drive safe!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 1:57 PM, paulbj2 said:

Having travelled Business Class in a 787 Dreamliner, I would recommend avoiding the godammed awful contraptions at any price. I flew Oman Air, Bangkok to Muscat and I was amazed to think that anyone could think this was an acceptable aircraft to fly passengers in! The noise levels were simply unbelievable; so much so that I couldn't sleep. The seating, even in Business class was horrendously uncomfortable and the design and ergonomics of the Business class environment was simply appalling; tacky, tasteless plastic.

I flew with Qatar on one and although I agree 'a bit plasticy' I thought it a good flight and comfortable.

Would be intrigued to know if other airlines around the world have also introduced this policy for overweight passengers ?

With regards to the picture several posts ago of the really enormous guy sitting on the armrest (photoshop or real ?) .... how does an airline handle this guy at checkin ? Presumably it does happen in reality ?

Would be a tricky scenario for checkin staff, given that litigation is so often seen as the first choice option for many people who perceive that their "human rights" have been violated.

21 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Go back to the original post that started the topic.  Tell me how someone's bellyfat is supposed to spill over on someone else's arms in the photos of the business class seats shown there.

Because they can't fly Business class, so they'll be in economy making my flight a nightmare as they impinge on my space ( that I paid for ).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because they can't fly Business class, so they'll be in economy making my flight a nightmare as they impinge on my space ( that I paid for ).

I might have said this before but I agree with you. They DO make your flight a nightmare. I recently ended up next to Mr Obese and after we took off and the seatbelt sign went off I stood up and was prepared to stand for the next six hours. Stewardess offered no help but I found an empty aisle seat and had a much more relaxed flight.

The point is, these people cannot hold in their excess so they do spill over. Someone else's body heat and sweat has to come from a much slimmer woman!!

• Thanks 1

I've only read the last couple of posts, but fail to see how moving overweight passengers to economy (where the seats are far smaller) helps in any way?

I've never had a problem with overweight passengers sitting next to me - but have had a few with the arrogant few claiming all arm-rests - and screaming and/or otherwise annoying kids.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always sit next to the aisle and never had that problem, but I do fit in the seat.

Disagree entirely.

I'm far from overweight, but have to be forced into an aisle seat (in economy) - as I know that passengers and staff/trolleys will keep hitting my elbow.   Obviously all of those in aisle seats will lean towards the isle when trying to 'find a space' to sleep.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've only read the last couple of posts, but fail to see how moving overweight passengers to economy (where the seats are far smaller) helps in any way?

I've never had a problem with overweight passengers sitting next to me - but have had a few with the arrogant few claiming all arm-rests - and screaming and/or otherwise annoying kids.

Had you read the OP you would understand that obese passengers don't fit in the fancy new biz class seats, so if they want to fly Thai it's either first class or economy.

Sometimes new technology really sucks.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Disagree entirely.

I'm far from overweight, but have to be forced into an aisle seat (in economy) - as I know that passengers and staff/trolleys will keep hitting my elbow.   Obviously all of those in aisle seats will lean towards the isle when trying to 'find a space' to sleep.

I'm somewhat bemused that you assume you know my experience when flying. Were you sitting next to me to see me being hit all the time?

You can believe me or not, but I don't have a problem with that. As always, up to you.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always sit next to the aisle and never had that problem, but I do fit in the seat.

47 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Disagree entirely.

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm somewhat bemused that you assume you know my experience when flying. Were you sitting next to me to see me being hit all the time?

You can believe me or not, but I don't have a problem with that. As always, up to you.

I think you've missed my point? 

On 3/15/2018 at 9:46 PM, Bullie said:

And then Thai airways wonders why it is loosing money... Now I now at least one airline company that will never ever fly direct on the United States of America!

I understand that Thai airways likes to exude Thainess, but this is ridiculous. The days are long gone when Thai people were small, skinny and nimble, especially the ones that can afford a western diet.

And if the above picture displays a -very small looking- business class seat, I shudder to think what it will look like in coach....

And check the leg room of the seat behind it! :)

787-9 is the newer version Dreamliner. From my departure city a 787-8 Dreamliner flies for 6 or 7 hours to Bkk. I'm a tallish guy and pretty wide across the shoulders but.., I can just squeeze into my usual seat of choice. I try to choose specific flights..., at times that will be less likely to be packed. I hope they don't make the seats on 787-8's any narrower or with less leg room.

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

787-9 is the newer version Dreamliner. From my departure city a 787-8 Dreamliner flies for 6 or 7 hours to Bkk. I'm a tallish guy and pretty wide across the shoulders but.., I can just squeeze into my usual seat of choice. I try to choose specific flights..., at times that will be less likely to be packed. I hope they don't make the seats on 787-8's any narrower or with less leg room.

You’ll need to consult with the airline on that. Boeing only builds the aircraft. Airlines decide on the number of seats and seat design and then contract that out to airline seat manufacturers. 

For example, compare the first class cabin on an Emirates A380 to the first class cabin on a Thai A380.