Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

29216198_2075448839392378_6746059678188306432_n.jpg

Picture: Facebook 191phetchaburi

A British man is in a coma having suffered multiple serious injuries after being involved in an accident while riding a motorcycle in Hua Hin.

Mark Haley, 56, from Borehamwood suffered fractures to his spine and pelvis, as well as broken ribs and a collapsed right lung after he was hit from behind by a car on Friday morning (16 March), at the u-turn on Phetkasem Road opposite the entrance to Palm Hills.

29214780_2075447209392541_2054283763914899456_n.jpg

Picture: Facebook 191phetchaburi

He is currently on a ventilator in intensive care where his condition is described as stable but critical.

Mr Haley now needs to be flown by helicopter from hospital to Bangkok for further treatment.

However, he does not have any travel insurance or sufficient funds to be be able to pay for the treatment he needs.

Mr Haley’s family told the Borehamwood Times that his treatment has already cost almost 400,000 baht.

But now his family in the UK are appealing for help to raise money to help pay for the additional treatment and have set up a Go Fund Me page.

"Apart from your thoughts and prayers, at this point in time, this fundraising effort is the best way you can help Mark. Anything you can give will help to alleviate some of the financial pressure that has inevitably resulted from this tragic accident," the page reads.

“Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand and the severity of his injuries, he must be transferred by helicopter, at a cost of Thai Bhat 200,000 (£4,500), and to commence treatment the cost will be over Thai Bhat 1,000,000 (£23,000).

“Unfortunately he didn't take out travel insurance for his trip and as a family we are struggling to raise the funds to cover the transfer and his initial and on-going treatment.

“We've set up this fundraising page in the hope that we can raise funds so his treatment can commence as a matter of urgency”.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-19

1 minute ago, woody622954 said:

Most UK travel insurance excludes claiming if riding a motorcycle.

Comes under dangerous sports.

Agreed, I always shop around to make sure my insurance covers motorbikes although only up to 125cc and only if I'm legal to ride.

:)

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Maybe it would be time to read a book about Thailand. :cheesy:

I know how it works here, i have ridden 100,000 + km in Asia, mainly Thailand. I could write the book, no need to read it. My point is the system is corrupt and needs to be changed.

Edited by chrissables