Injured dog adopted in Bangkok bites people before dying of rabies

rooster59

Injured dog adopted in Bangkok bites people before dying of rabies

By The Nation

538d90221a77280751fa6ae588cebcdc.jpeg

A BANGKOK resident saved an injured dog from the street and brought it home only to see it die a few days later of rabies.

The neighbourhood home of this Good Samaritan on Soi On Nuj 36 in Bangkok’s Suan Luang district has now been declared an “at-risk zone”. 

“We need to make the declaration to raise public awareness of the rabies situation,” Livestock Development Department (LDD) deputy director-general Jeerasak Pipattanapongsophon said yesterday. 

bf3bd23b2e9f427c7b2f215878525219.jpeg

The Good Samaritan found the dog after it was hit by a car and injured on a road in Samut Prakan’s Bang Phli district on March 17. 

The dog was rushed to a nearby veterinary hospital, treated and brought to the Good Samaritan’s home. 

At its new home, it became aggressive and bit many people. After it died on March 20, an examination found it had died of rabies.

Rabies can cause deaths to mammals, including people. This year, it has already killed six people in Thailand. 

Jeerasak said the case in Suan Luang was the first instance of rabies in Bangkok this month. 

No outbreak in Bangkok

At present, 25 provinces in Thailand have been declared “rabies outbreak zones”. The declaration is valid for 30 days after an outbreak is detected. 

Bangkok is among 11 provinces whose 30-day declaration has expired. 

Jeerasak said there was no need to declare Bangkok an outbreak zone again, with just one rabid dog found as of press time. 

“Besides, I think public awareness of rabies is now already significant,” he said. 

Pet owners also need to be aware of the need to vaccinate their animals against rabies. Failure to do so is a legal offence. 

The Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Chon Buri province has now barred tourists from bringing their pets on-site out of concern that the visiting pets could transmit rabies to the zoo animals. 

In the face of growing rabies concerns, the Phayao University is in the process of rounding up more than 100 stray dogs in its compound. 

“We are running a permanent shelter for them. They are registered and vaccinated,” said the university’s vice president, Asst Professor Pranee Yoosiri.

She said animal lovers were welcome to adopt these strays. Many people have already come forward seeking to adopt them, she added.

In Tak province, officials and volunteers were busy campaigning against rabies yesterday. Dr Sarayuth Uttamangkapong, who heads a local disease-control office, said building shelters for stray dogs was a good idea because it could help prevent the spread of rabies. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341611

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-24

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pet owners also need to be aware of the need to vaccinate their animals against rabies. Failure to do so is a legal offence. 

Really surprised by this statement. Being a dog owner in Thailand for more than 10 years and have never had any of them vaccinated against rabies. Never been advised to vaccinate against rabies by the vet on any of my dogs despite all the bi-monthly cocktails they get.

Until today that is. I brought the Siberian and German shepherd down this morning and after their shots I was 160 baht out of pocket. Cheap at half the price if only for the peace of mind. This was in Phitsanulok by the way, outside any 'red' zones.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Really surprised by this statement. Being a dog owner in Thailand for more than 10 years and have never had any of them vaccinated against rabies. Never been advised to vaccinate against rabies by the vet on any of my dogs despite all the bi-monthly cocktails they get.

Until today that is. I brought the Siberian and German shepherd down this morning and after their shots I was 160 baht out of pocket. Cheap at half the price if only for the peace of mind. This was in Phitsanulok by the way, outside any 'red' zones.

Pls  tell everyone in my  village they all have AT LEAST 2  dogs some 6 ( pathetic  I know) and they still wander  round daily yet if this gets  real serious Im pretty sure many of those "owners"   would  kill the dog themselves

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think the saliva has to enter the bloodstream, ie through a bite. It can be transmitted by infected saliva entering the mouth or eyes, but apparently very rare.

Its ok I dont snog  dogs as a  rule:thumbsup: although when its dark????

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She said animal lovers were welcome to adopt these strays. Many people have already come forward seeking to adopt them, she added.

So Thai people just can dump them again in another place 

Yesterday 2 Thai people come here and dumb 3 dogs I am sick and tired of see this behavior from Thai people my wife called 1337 but absolutely no Help 

Keep doing what you want Thailand and see how quickly you tourist will disappear 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

well, what happened to them, they got vaccine shots ?

If not previously vaccinated against rabies, they will not only need at least five rabies vaccine shots, but they will also need rabies immune globulin injected into the bites. Rabies immune globulin can be both hard to find in some areas and also expensive. I got the three pre-exposure rabies vaccine shots. If I got bit, I would only need a further two rabies vaccine shots, and I would not need the rabies immune globulin.

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Like 1

In my home country I knew a man that had hunting dogs.

If one of them bit a human, it was end of the line for the dog, it was shot.

My father raised German shepards and Bouviers.

If one bit a human, end of the line, it would bite again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

If they really wanted to sort this rabies problem out, just put up a bounty of 20 Baht for every dog's head brought into the local amphur, problem will be solved in a matter of hours!

In fact, I'd do it for free!

Without a work permit?

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

You never heard it because it's not illegal,  but it is surprising given the risk of rabies in Thailand over a period of years that people aren't aware of the risk. 

I have two Thai dogs raised from pups and both have been vaccinated in the village when young. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think the saliva has to enter the bloodstream, ie through a bite. It can be transmitted by infected saliva entering the mouth or eyes, but apparently very rare.

Unless, they're those over the top doggy types who kiss their dogs constantly, who's dogs in return lick their faces after laying about having just cleaned their nuts etc...............

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

You never heard it because it's not illegal,  but it is surprising given the risk of rabies in Thailand over a period of years that people aren't aware of the risk. 

I have two Thai dogs raised from pups and both have been vaccinated in the village when young. 

I'm assuming you realize that they require a second vaccination 1 year later, followed by a booster every three years. 

Butjust in case others don't one injection is not enough.

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:
6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what these so called *do-gooders*  never seem to understand you dont even have to be BITTEN  by the so called friendly mut in the street , its in the saliva, so i wonder how many people this dog might have licked, during its lifetime

Edited 2 hours ago by giddyup

Yes it is saliva to  blood transmission, so  just licking the skin probably would not do it. It is also how many people it bit or licked when the animals is in 'infectious stage'. Once that occurs the animal will die pretty quick. So not over their lifetime or even while the virus is in them BUT in its incubation period. However, if you pet suddenly becomes rabid, you, your family, friends and anyone who might have come in contact with it should get shots immediatly, even if no bites and you think you are safe. The danger of Rabies is very very low, but the stakes are fantastically high - death from Rabies is basically 100% . You get it you are dead.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Yes it is saliva to  blood transmission, so  just licking the skin probably would not do it.. It is also how many people it bit or licked when the animals is in 'infectious Rabies stage'. Once that occurs the animal will die pretty quick. So not over their lifetime or even while the virus is in them BUT in its incubation period. However, if you pet suddenly becomes rabid you, your family, friends and anyone who might have come in contact with it should get shots immediatly, even if no bites and you think you are safe. The danger of Rabies is very very low  but the stakes are fantastically high - death from Rabies is basically 100% . You get it you are dead.

I didn't realize there is a human vaccination for rabies but I just looked it up and there is.

It can/should be administered immediately after a bite and requires boosters 3, 7 and 14 days after the bite. And it does seem that it's a very wise precaution because once the virus takes hold it is almost always fatal.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1