Prayut leaves door open over joining party prior to election

webfact

Prayut leaves door open over joining party prior to election

By The Nation

41219130c0fd09709814bcb1f27ff374.jpeg

Junta leader General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday did not rule out the possibility of him joining a political party in order to return to power after the next general election.

The prime minister was reluctant to say whether he would become an ‘outsider’ premier after the election, as allowed under the current charter’s mechanisms.

“I actually want [parties] to propose the names of others before coming to me. Don’t centre on me,” he said.

With more assemblies pressing the junta to hold an election without further delay, Prayut threatened to continue tracking whether those involved had any connections with political parties.

“This would affect such parties in the future. We won’t obstruct anything, but they should also understand that we have a clear election time line already,” he said, adding “I don’t think their intention is entirely pure.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341891

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-28

2 minutes ago, jonstarjon said:

Nice smile, charming sexy boy! Actually, most people have misunderstood him. What he will do is wait until after the vote and then appoint himself as leader of the winning party of course.

I think you must have played this game before. You're having a Nostradamus moment.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“I actually want [parties] to propose the names of others before coming to me. Don’t centre on me,” he said.

What he really said: " We are going to refuse all other candidates, it is about me, me, me, me, me......:coffee1:

• Like 2

We won’t obstruct anything, but they should also understand that we have a clear election time line already,” he said, adding “I don’t think their intention is entirely pure.”

"Clear election time line already"

If I remember correctly, the date has been changed 4 times already....

And anyone not agreeing with The Master.......their intentions are not pure...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We won’t obstruct anything, but they should also understand that we have a clear election time line already,” he said, 

And from another article today.....

“We don’t know how long the court will take to review the bill and if they rule it is unconstitutional, the amendment will take some time. So, the election will definitely be delayed"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

But, too cowardly to run himself...

He can't run for election as he has to resign from his post within 90 days after the new charter become effective. The charter is now 11 months, it is impossible for him to stand in the next poll.

He could be the premier as leader of a political party under article 88 of the charter, which states each party is required to name a maximum of 3 premiership candidates. He can be nominated by a party contesting in the election. So watch of he will join any political party for clue.

Then there is still the outside clause in the highly military favoured charter that allow a political party to name an outsider to be prime minister  and with support of the senate house, he return to power. That is if the Dem Party will again betray the people by joining the appointed senators to appoint him. IMHO, he unlikely to be PM under the above circumstance. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, baboon said:

What is stopping him just ignoring ignoring the rules and regulations and doing whatever the hell he wants? It wouldn't exactly be the first time...

Rules and regulation he can ignored and break with 44 but not the constitution. Well unless he plan another referendum for another charter the-write. 

Just now, baboon said:

I am afraid you have more faith in it than I do, Eric. It is just a piece of paper which commands no troops; a tool for the Haves to use against the Have Nots as and when it is convenient. 

Put me down with Eric on this one.

Three times this century alone, the Thai people have come to the streets to fight for their political point of view.

Why do you think, if the Thai people believe things aren't right, that they won't again?

The past is a prologue to the present...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Fully understand your point; what the establishment and military want, they get. The amendments were pre royal endorsement. Just think it will be harder and will raise such a uproar that may bring the masses to the streets. Something the junta may not wish to risk.

Unfortunately, my hands are tied here (you will understand why, Eric)  -  but I can only say that certain changes were later made to the Constitution which NO ONE in this land can argue with or dare whisper against. I dare not mention any names ...

You are right, though, that the junta seem to be really risking uprisings from the Thais if they (the junta) carry on as they are. I don't think enough Thais will rebel to throw out this bunch of dinosaurs  - but there will be sufficient to give the junta a headache!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

“I actually want [parties] to propose the names of others before coming to me.

Doesn't the new political election law require in part a primary voting system that calls for each registered party's branches or representatives nationwide to hold a primary election to select MP candidates?

https://www.pressreader.com/thailand/the-nation/20170628/281603830477572

The parties must then distribute name lists of partylist MPs to the branches and representatives for considerations on regional and gender diversity. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30318198

As such, I don't see how Prayut can reserve himself through some kind of informal process as (what I understand) a last minute candidate for any party. And even if he was able to do so, ie., through his absolute power to ignore laws, he must still subject himself to a primary party vote.