UK Bank (Jersey) asking for Proof of ID and address?

After a previous post on TV where I was asking for help on UK requirements for Tax ID number to keep my account open the bank is now asking for something else as well.

I need “Proof of Address and Proof of Identification” in order to keep my Jersey UK bank account – part of new UK anti-money laundering laws it seems even tho I have held my account for 38 years. Bank said I best to do it at an embassy. Can anyone suggest if this is my only option, I cannot imagine its cheap and it will take me a couple of months to find time to be near an embassy to do it!

I have a UK pp so assume that’s easy to verify but how does one go about a Thai language “yellow house book” OR a Thai language drivers lic as address proof of address verification in English language? How much is this likely to cost – I am hoping to get it done as cheap as possible but bank threatening to close the account if it isn’t done. Only got about 300UKP in the account but its my only UK account that I have and wanted to keep a presence there if possible.

Verifying an address in Thailand with a bank outside of Thailand is a real problem, i experienced this myself a while ago

They might accept a paper from your bank in Thailand which states your address, so ask your UK bank if that's ok for them. If they are ok, head to your Thai bank, explain the situation and get some paper from them (for example a bank statement) and request that they write your address in latin letters and not in Thai, they might be able to do it.

If the bank in the UK would accept this, but your Thai bank fails to issue it (because they are unable to use latin letters for the address), just request a bank statement, scan it, photoshop your address in latin letters on it, print it, and scan it again ;) 

Edited by jackdd

If no UK originating correspondence that provides address verification maybe consider contacting the UK pensions service for a UK state pension update (you can possibly request this online), if you qualify for such a pension. Provide your Thailand address as point of contact and you should, eventually, receive a letter that you can use for future address verification purposes.

Depending on  deadlines for responding to your bank, you may receive the response in time to use for this query as they seem to have upped their game for response times. Of course, the Thai postal delays would also need to be factored in...........

I don't receive any mail from HRMC or Pension service. I am not sure I am due either having lived outside UK all my working life. The only mail I receive from the UK I can think of to my Thai address is my UK Jersey bank statements from this same bank I have asked to prove my address is true?

My proof of Thai address is the Yellow Book or Thai Drivers lic is it not? What do I need to get that verified in English and does it get done at an embassy only?

OK, this is NatWest bank I'm dealing with. I think I will just string this out with them as long as I can with as little inconvenience and expense as possible. Now we are at stage where I have told them the wait list for Brit Embassy notaries is 2 months and I have already sent them a letter from my Thai bank confirming my ID and address. Thai bank costs 100THB for letter, embassy with cost 3000THB?

NatWest will now see if that is acceptable so it seems the rules are flexible. I've been with them nearly 40 years and used this address in Thailand for 15 years, and now they ask me to prove the address/my ID is not fake!

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I've been with them nearly 40 years and used this address in Thailand for 15 years, and now they ask me to prove the address/my ID is not fake!

It's not the bank it's the government that's behind all this. I bailed out of Jersey for Singapore back in 2005, after Lloyds informed me they'd passed my banking details to HMRC, I didn't owe HMRC anything, there was nothing to hide, it was just the principle of it.

• Like 1

I went through the same with NatWest in Jersey, they insisted I used a solicitor to verify but they had to be registered in the UK. A Thai only one was not accepted. Fortunately I know an English solicitor in Bangkok who is also certified in London. Once they were involved it became very simple to do.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

I need “Proof of Address and Proof of Identification” in order to keep my Jersey UK bank account – part of new UK anti-money laundering laws it seems even tho I have held my account for 38 years. Bank said I best to do it at an embassy. Can anyone suggest if this is my only option, I cannot imagine its cheap and it will take me a couple of months to find time to be near an embassy to do it!

I have a UK pp so assume that’s easy to verify but how does one go about a Thai language “yellow house book” OR a Thai language drivers lic as address proof of address verification in English language? How much is this likely to cost – I am hoping to get it done as cheap as possible but bank threatening to close the account if it isn’t done. Only got about 300UKP in the account but its my only UK account that I have and wanted to keep a presence there if possible.

"I need “Proof of Address and Proof of Identification” in order to keep my Jersey UK bank account – part of new UK anti-money laundering laws it seems even tho I have held my account for 38 years. Bank said I best to do it at an embassy'".

Why make it difficult for yourself when the bank has told you exactly what they want?  The cost is only £50/B2,300.  If it's really too difficult to get to the Embassy to save your UK bank account, the account doesn't seem to be that important.

I know once I had to verify my address with one financial institution and they were quite happy with a bank statement (UK) from another.

I usually drip feed them with documents with my address on them until they go away.

What is irritating is these anti money laundering laws hit little guys like us who, hopefully, have nothing to hide,  whilst the big fish will always get away with their shenanigans. You would think in a globalised world it would be easy to live in one country and have a bank account in the land of our birth but apparently not

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"I need “Proof of Address and Proof of Identification” in order to keep my Jersey UK bank account – part of new UK anti-money laundering laws it seems even tho I have held my account for 38 years. Bank said I best to do it at an embassy'".

Why make it difficult for yourself when the bank has told you exactly what they want?  The cost is only £50/B2,300.  If it's really too difficult to get to the Embassy to save your UK bank account, the account doesn't seem to be that important.

It may well be that the OP lives nowhere nears BKK and if for example he lives in Chiang Mai he will need to traavel to BKK, overnight in a hotel for as long as it take the Embassy to process his request then travel back to CM.

If you add that to the cost of the letter, assuming that the embassy will do so (it seems that it is one of the few things that they will do) it will cost a bit more than 2,300 baht.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-consular-fees/thailand-consular-fees

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It may well be that the OP lives nowhere nears BKK and if for example he lives in Chiang Mai he will need to traavel to BKK, overnight in a hotel for as long as it take the Embassy to process his request then travel back to CM.

If you add that to the cost of the letter, assuming that the embassy will do so (it seems that it is one of the few things that they will do) it will cost a bit more than 2,300 baht.

That my well be the case, it may well not be the case either. The Embassy visit is done by appointment and if the first one offered is not convenient he can suggest a different time.

He should read the Embassy website as he obviously hasn't so far judging by the incorrect price he quoted.

I have just been through this process with my Jersey bank, and after much research since last November there is no simple way to do it, other than to get onto the UK gov web link to make an appointment for Notarial services at the Embassy on Wireless Road. Here is the link to notarial service with information, what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Choose a date and time, usually a month away as they are busy, and take your passport. for certified copy and a utility bill or phone bill, whatever, to prove your address here.

They will certify in 15 or so minutes, both passport and address, then you can send those by registered post to Jersey. It took mine ten days to arrive. Now all is well again. that's it! good luck.

• Like 1

I would imagine that they're asking for details to comply with MIFID 2 regulations that should of been done by January so I don't deal with Natwest or bank in Jersey but I have mainland UK and IOM banks and to comply I had to send them  

1) Passport copy verified by a local solicitor or notary with wording

THIS COPY IS A TRUE COPY OF THE ORIGINAL 

THIS DOCUMENT HAS BEEN SEEN AND VERIFIED BY THE CERTIFIER

THE PHOTO IS A TRUE LIKENESS OF THE APPLICANT

DATED AND SIGNED BY SOLICITOR

2 Proof of address would be bank statement, or similar that shows your address in Thailand, if in 

Thai it would need to be translated by a suitable translator and then a copy signed by a solicitor or notary and verified in writing that the copy is a true likeness of the original.

It is also possible that a certificate from immigration verifying your address would be suitable too they are about 500 THB as well but check with your bank, you should already have one of those in your passport to comply with Thai law and verifying your address

3 All documents must be under 3 months old so if you use the Thai immigration form you will probably need to get a new one

I discovered some banks accepted solicitors and some notaries so check what they want a nd what address document is suitable

Cost for certified copies are normally around 500 Baht each

Keeping that bank account is probably a good idea as in the future they will get more difficult for expats to open and they are also very handy for proving your address in the future

I had to do this for an international account at Jersey.

All the banks are doing this now in the UK due to ring fencing and the CRS act that is an extension of the US FACTA act. My personal advice based on observation is to anyone not already doing so with regards to obtaining official proof of residency and tax id should get their ducks in a row pretty soon.

In the letter from the bank it described which documents could be used as proof of ID and address. 

The documents needed to be notarized though which is the tricky part. I approached a lawyer in the same firm in Thailand who helped with my accounting which cost me about 2000 Baht to notarize the document. You can approach any lawyer though, I once got a document done at another firm I didn't have any existing business with as long as you explain what its for and they believe you and you pay up they will sign it for you.

I was able to use my Thai driving licence as proof of ID and address. Ironically the signed copy cost 10 x more than the actual real document.

On 29/03/2018 at 3:05 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

I don't receive any mail from HRMC or Pension service. I am not sure I am due either having lived outside UK all my working life. The only mail I receive from the UK I can think of to my Thai address is my UK Jersey bank statements from this same bank I have asked to prove my address is true?

My proof of Thai address is the Yellow Book or Thai Drivers lic is it not? What do I need to get that verified in English and does it get done at an embassy only?

I took my yellow book to a translator. She did the job but had no notary powers. She sent the translation to the Dept of Internal Affairs in BKK who notarised the translation gave it a stamp or several and sent it back. Baht neung pahn. Accepted by Barclays, my Pension provider and even my German Pension provider.

• Like 1

I used a copy of my passport and a Utility bill in my name , took them to a lawyer I use and they produced a letter with a few fancy stamps which also had a translation of the address and they certified copies. I had to pay for this but in my case, the UK onshore bank refunded me. I had some difficulty with them wanting a Tax Identification Number, my telling them I didn't need one as a retiree in Thailand and them telling me they knew better sat in their UK office. I got there in the end!

On 3/29/2018 at 9:34 AM, jackdd said:

Verifying an address in Thailand with a bank outside of Thailand is a real problem, i experienced this myself a while ago

They might accept a paper from your bank in Thailand which states your address, so ask your UK bank if that's ok for them. If they are ok, head to your Thai bank, explain the situation and get some paper from them (for example a bank statement) and request that they write your address in latin letters and not in Thai, they might be able to do it.

If the bank in the UK would accept this, but your Thai bank fails to issue it (because they are unable to use latin letters for the address), just request a bank statement, scan it, photoshop your address in latin letters on it, print it, and scan it again ;) 

Yes indeed. I had this around two years ago with Barclays in Jersey. The list of acceptable verification agents simply didn't include anything it was possible to have done here in Thailand. As it happened, around that time I was seeing an investment advisor from Barclays in Dubai who visited Thailand a few times a year so I got him to do it all for me and send it via their internal post. I'm currently looking for an alternative offshore bank as Barclays in Jersey are becoming impossible to deal with.

(I started a thread on that somewhere but it seems to have died.)

I had this with Natwest Isle of Man about 2 years ago. Unless they have changed their rather arcane list of what is deemed acceptable for proof of foreign address, the option of "Bank said I best to do it at an embassy" is not viable. Two years ago the bank wanted the British Embassy consular services to sign their paperwork which of course the consular service won't do. To further frustrate things, they didn't accept the affidavit of proof of address issued by the BE consular office using my Thai DL. After much email debate (at least they got over the need to do everything via phone and/or letter), they said they would accept a sworn translation of my Thai DL which shows residential address on the obverse in Thai script. They also accepted that this could be done by a Thai lawyer in who is also a registered Thai Notary. There is one law office in Pattaya that does this. Despite Thailand not being signatory to the Apostille Convention and thus their signatories not being legally recognized by countries that are signatory to it (like the UK), they accepted it. Go figure.

However, I am now in receipt of two demands from them to provide a tax ID. I understand that a Thai TIN is relatively easy to get although once again, the format of that number doesn't match some 'international' standard but I have read recent reports that it will be accepted with a bit of pushing.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:05 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

You can take your yellow book, and driving licence if you want, to any reasonable translation service and they will stamp the translation as a certified true copy. I have used my yellow book translation in several occasions and it has never been questioned.

I had the same problem with HSBC a couple of years ago and sent them an online print from my Thai bank account and the yellow book translation, all ok. 

On 30/03/2018 at 2:44 PM, Scotssing said:

I usually drip feed them with documents with my address on them until they go away.

That's exactly what I have been doing for all the recent requests from various financial institutions in UK and Australia who's been banging on my door.

It actually works....they find it easier to register a Thai address in the end rather than being on their workload radar every day when they log onto their PC.

Send them a Residency Certificate written in Thai obtainable from Immigration at no cost (2-6 week wait) or pay the 500 baht tea money for next day collection.

With my Luxembourg account I was able to get away with a certified copy of my driving licence.  The certified copy was arranged and returned by email.  Cost 350 baht.  No need for a physical copy at all.