Chevy Colorado

kannot

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that Chevy in Thailand is crap. Not at all comparable to Chevy in America. But the Ford SUV is wonderful. And it isn't even available in America. But then America is kind of backwards when it comes to diesel engines. Most car companies in America don't even offer a diesel option. But that Ford diesel SUV has every conceivable bell and whistle one could imagine. And it drives like a dream. A bit pricey but then you have to pay for what you get.

8 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

I agree that Chevy in Thailand is crap. Not at all comparable to Chevy in America. But the Ford SUV is wonderful. And it isn't even available in America. But then America is kind of backwards when it comes to diesel engines. Most car companies in America don't even offer a diesel option. But that Ford diesel SUV has every conceivable bell and whistle one could imagine. And it drives like a dream. A bit pricey but then you have to pay for what you get.

Many Nations dont let Private Diesels freely into Cities. BKK will be next i hope. As for Chevy being no good, like Ford its an area thing, now that is Crap, but Toyota love them for it.

I run an old Toyota 4x4, yes some parts on this model are more expensive than average but that is mainly because they are pretty heavy duty compared to the 2 wheel drive version. My mate runs an Isuzu of similar age but is a 2 wheel drive and to be honest, there is not much noticeable difference in service costs at either main dealer. Both are dirt cheap if you compare them to their European counterparts.
The other thing is that they are both ultra reliable and if looked after seem to keep running forever.
I wouldn't put the service costs down as a negative on either manufacturer, in fact given the pricing and availability of parts and service I would almost go as far as saying they are both a plus (if you compare apples for apples)

I’ve had four Isuzu’s and three Toyotas since I’ve been in Thailand. All were/are great vehicles, service has been great on all, but it seems to me that the Toyotas are more expensive to buy and to service.

Right now I’m driving a Fortuner, but I believe the MuX is a much better value.

16 hours ago, kannot said:

Reading up a little  on the current state of GM Chevrolet in Thailand, they are going to drop saloon cars  Captiva and Cruze and concentrate solely on Colorado and Trailblazer much like Isuzu  do now selling only trucks.

They had sales of 10  million worldwide in 2017 buoyed up by China making them worldwide No.3 with VW 1st Toyota 2nd GM 3rd.

Ford US announced the same. They said SUV's and pickups are the majority of their sales and will cease production of most traditional cars with the exception of the Mustang. 

All three remaining US auto makers offer vehicles with Diesel engines.

In the US one can buy a reasonably priced car with a big-block V8 gasoline engine, and they can fill the tank without having to take a second out on their house, that is why diesels are not as popular are they are in more “advanced” countries.

I would not buy one, but Chevy builds a fine product here.

I wish Volkswagen would sell this nice little pick-up, Volks Saviero, that is similar to the popular Nissan NV in Thailand.

I visited last year and 3 diffèrent car makers make those nice little pick-up in the El Camino`  style but smaller.

And over in Argentina, they can fit safety belts on the little back seat.

https://www.volkswagen-plan.com.ar/saveiro/

Bought a Chevrolet 2.8 4x4 in 2013, never had any major problems with it (replacing the 4 x4 switch and 2 batteries), or the customer service . Serving is only required every 20K km or 1 per year, used Chevrolet service centres in Pak Chong and Hua Hin without problem, found them courteous and helpful and the charges reasonable. Still use it and would buy another. A 4% variation in JD Power survey shows that all the major car makers support is very similar. Only way to decide on what truck to buy is to test drive them all.

59 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

But then America is kind of backwards when it comes to diesel engines. Most car companies in America don't even offer a diesel option. But that Ford diesel SUV has every conceivable bell and whistle one could imagine. And it drives like a dream. A bit pricey but then you have to pay for what you get.

Thats because diesel engines are being outlawed in America due to emission issues. I think 2018 is the last year a manufacture can sell them.

A few months ago my wife reported that her friend had just gotten

a new car,what kind I said, a ChefRolex was her reply,i said there

is no such car,yes my friend has one, i could not get it out of my mind

thinking what she meant, next day going shopping,she said there its

one of them..... a Chevrolet, just today she says her friends ChefRolex

wont start,even with jumper leads. been British , Chevrolet was not a

marque that sprung to mind.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, tigerbeerz said:

Bought a Chevrolet 2.8 4x4 in 2013, never had any major problems with it (replacing the 4 x4 switch and 2 batteries), or the customer service . Serving is only required every 20K km or 1 per year, used Chevrolet service centres in Pak Chong and Hua Hin without problem, found them courteous and helpful and the charges reasonable. Still use it and would buy another. A 4% variation in JD Power survey shows that all the major car makers support is very similar. Only way to decide on what truck to buy is to test drive them all.

Now that is a good point . What do you consider to be a test drive ?  A five minute ride on the highway or maybe the truck for a day and if a 4 x 4 pickup would you take it off road to test . I think it takes a while to get the feel of a vehicle and its behaviour . 

Looks like you answered your own question,looks like the Triton is it.

Check out the new triton athlete.

Plus mitsubishi has some good deals going,

5 year free service,

5 year warranty.

And also insurance.

24 house road side assist plus good service.

I don't think you can go wrong.

I bought a a new pajero last year,

And a limited edition Triton, couldn't be happier.

I think anymore, most all cars in Thailand are well built, and should provide years of service with minimal service.

In my opinion, you buy something you like the look of, like sitting in, and like diving.

I would much rather spend a little on something I like, than save money on something I don’t.

In 1985 I needed a new top chest and was looking at a bitchin’ old Blackhawk. The guy wouldn’t budge on the price, and I ended up going with a Snap-on, which was more popular and a better value.

The Snap-on has been a great box, I still have it, and I could probably sell it for more today than I paid for it 30 years ago.

30 years and I still wish I’d have gone with the Blackhawk...

Buy what you LIKE.

Driven the hilux, ranger and Colorado, my pick by miles was the Ranger.. I’m am planing to buy the new ranger raptor.. Colorado 2018 models are nice and huge improvement on older ones.. take them for a drive and see what you like best

On 4/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, transam said:

So a Revo looks like a Vigo.....:whistling:

Revo has a weak engine.....:whistling:

Well, this maybe the ride for you....:whistling:

camino2.jpg.0c1e23bb07e3526b329cc1a9516b7c39.jpg

Looks interesting, probably quick as well, BUT will it stop or go around corners? :whistling: :smile: 

And probably doesn't 'bend' its chassis like some Tritons were able to do!

On 4/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, kannot said:

After hours of internet trawling and as much as I like the Colorado, the total lack of response and poor  showrooms of Chevrolet totally unable to supply  the "Mobile service" by me which their website states is available "anytime anywhere" Ive decide to not get one, this leaves " The Others", Ford is outta  the window , again too many reports of  bad service, The Toyota is as  dull as a  plank and theres  no Mitsubishi NEW Triton appearing by the looks of things. Found a 2017 JD Power survey of Thailand and its aint good for  almost all of them as regards Customer service.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-thailand-customer-service-index-csi-study

Maybe you can find some more information on YouTube, I like the channel AutoExpertTv, it’s from an Australian auto journalist who happens to be an engineer, John Cadogan. He’s got quite a few interesting videos about trucks (Australian spec, of course), if you don’t mind his ‘attitude’ ;)

13 hours ago, csabo said:

The Colorado is a rebranded Isuzu Dmax. 

Not really - the Colorado and dmax are the same platform with a lot shared in terms of interior and sheet metal, but the powertrain is not the same between the two.  Less similar than the BT-50 and Ranger, for instance.

12 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Thats because diesel engines are being outlawed in America due to emission issues. I think 2018 is the last year a manufacture can sell them.

Where on earth did you get that idea??!?!?! Diesel engines are definitely subject to greater emissions requirements year-by-year in the USA, but they're not slated for the chopping block in any way, shape or form, in fact, the availability of diesel options in light duty trucks is better now than it has ever been, with options available from numerous manufacturers.

12 hours ago, tigerbeerz said:

Same I bought the Colorado in 2009 never had any issues. 

I have the blue Colorado High Country Storm 4x4.  It has about 12K km on it now. No problems at all. Love the truck.

But the Chevrolet dealership is certainly not as good as the Toyota dealership was, in my past experience.

stormweber.jpg.ebe9a6410d3a75bbb5fd6cd41f554984.jpg

8 hours ago, cacahootie said:

Where on earth did you get that idea??!?!?! Diesel engines are definitely subject to greater emissions requirements year-by-year in the USA, but they're not slated for the chopping block in any way, shape or form, in fact, the availability of diesel options in light duty trucks is better now than it has ever been, with options available from numerous manufacturers.

CNN about 10 days ago

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

CNN about 10 days ago

Strange.

Just checked the CNN website. Besides some articles on the German scandal, all I could find is that Ford is introducing a Diesel engine on its F150, dated 8 January 2018.

Buy what you want. No appreciable difference between makes here.

Some service departments better than others - like the rest of the planet.

Find a good one. If it is a few 100 km from home, make a trip out of it.

Strange.

Just checked the CNN website. Besides some articles on the German scandal, all I could find is that Ford is introducing a Diesel engine on its F150, dated 8 January 2018.

Perhaps it was San Francisco...

44 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Strange.

Yes, I heard about the new F150 diesel too.  However, there could still be some truth to Jeffrey’s claim, and it’s probably pertaining to passenger cars. Trucks and SUVs are ruled by a different set of rules and regulations, if I’m not mistaken. 

11 hours ago, cacahootie said:

The USA folk use trucks for intended purpose, here they still use them as personal transport, at least the cheaper small petrol cars have now caught on here with the brighter folk

Archived