The need to stock up supplies for Songkran

punchandjudy

Hi

As you can probably tell I don't understand why some people suggest stocking up on supplies before Songkran.

Are you talking about particular products? As I thought 7 Eleven's open all day every day including holidays? (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Also with people leaving Bangkok, I would have thought it would be easier to do shopping in (non tourist areas) of Bangkok.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

Didn't you post this same thing last year, and the year before, and the year before....etc.  Maybe if you ask nicely it can be put on the long songkran thread?

I am a new user to this forum, I joined last month. Why the annoyed tone?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

As you can probably tell I don't understand why some people suggest stocking up on supplies before Songkran.

I think people stock up so that they don't have to leave home and risk a soaking (or maybe a groping, in the case of females).

• Like 2

I do stock up on certain things because for a week certain aspects of my daily routine change. For example, on a normal week most days I would  eat lunch at one of the local village restaurants but during Songkran they all shut down.  So I have to think ahead, and this normally evolves buying stuff to make sandwiches.   

Also, Songkran week is the only time of year that I drink beer everyday (family parties every evening). So it makes sense to buy cases in advance rather than buy individual bottles daily from local shops.

The need to stock up in cities such as Chiang Mai, Pattaya etc. is dictated by the idiots who infest Songkhran. I stay in my condo while it's on. The occasional polite wetting or spray is ok; however, when you are on a scooter and get water plus chunks of ice hurled at you by thoughtless morons, it's damn dangerous. Then when it's over, everyone wonders why the road toll is so high.

• Like 1

I have one more trip to Makro and I'm good. It used to be a bit of fun but now to malicious for me as have been just about unhorsed from my motorbike with a five gallon pail of water( 1 liter of water is 1 kilo) So the easiest thing for me is to stay home. Go and do the visiting of all the elders  in the village and have water politely poured on you. The kids have a blast and can't blame them it's fun but the drunken louts tend to get a bit vicious and that has totally worn thin for me so HIBERNATION WEEK IT IS FOR ME

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I do stock up on certain things because for a week certain aspects of my daily routine change. For example, on a normal week most days I would  eat lunch at one of the local village restaurants but during Songkran they all shut down.  So I have to think ahead, and this normally evolves buying stuff to make sandwiches.   

Also, Songkran week is the only time of year that I drink beer everyday (family parties every evening). So it makes sense to buy cases in advance rather than buy individual bottles daily from local shops.

I see. In Bangkok will there be any food stalls still open? I can understand those from upcountry may go home to spend time with their families.

13 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

I see. In Bangkok will there be any food stalls still open? I can understand those from upcountry may go home to spend time with their families.

You will never go short of food here. Thailand revolves around food, so i would not worry about that. 7/11 will still be open if you are stretched.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, punchandjudy said:

Are you talking about particular products? As I thought 7 Eleven's open all day every day including holidays?

Even just leaving the Residence for 5 minutes can get one a soaking with dirty or ice water. I shan't be going outside for the duration.

If one isn't in a place where one can cook, most hotels have fridges in the room, so the makings for sandwiches and other food not needing to be cooked can get one through.

Good chance to read those books one never got around to reading before.

At songkran i just carry on as normal, never have a problem.

I go out on my scooter, or wheelchair in the village, nobody even attempts to throw water at me.

Yes songkran is a crazy time, but i find Thais show me respect, and do not do crazy things when i am around them.

• Like 1

The last Songkran I tried venturing out during day time, I was accosted so badly by idiots dousing me with buckets of ice water and supersoakers I couldn't make it to the store 3 kilometers away.

Any holiday that revels in daily reports of how many people died yesterday and in total REALLY should be reworked.

songkran.jpg

The last Songkran I tried venturing out during day time, I was accosted so badly by idiots dousing me with buckets of ice water and supersoakers I couldn't make it to the store 3 kilometers away.

Any holiday that revels in daily reports of how many people died yesterday and in total REALLY should be reworked.

Well, it's the same, not for outsiders understandable, reason that Thais buy loads of Snacks and Food if they go to travel somewhere. As if there is not a 7-11 or local grocery store every 50 meters here in Thailand.
The most bizarre thing I ever saw is Thais taking Mama Soup for travelling abroad. I mean you take the worst food ever to a new place where you can taste and try new things and flavors