People urged to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival

webfact

People urged to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival

PNECO610403001002001.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 April 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Culture are encouraging the people and foreign visitors to Thailand to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival. 

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Culture jointly launched a campaign promoting the wearing of Thai costumes while celebrating the upcoming Songkran festival. 

Tourism and Sports Minister Wirasak Kowsoorad said the campaign promotes the Thai people who travel to their home provinces during Songkran festival to wear retro- Thai costumes, making the atmosphere of the festival more beautiful. 

In addition, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports will organize Water Festival 2018 in various locations across the country during 13-15 April 2018. 

He said Thailand will host Sport Accord Convention 2018 during 15-20 April 2018, bringing together some 5,000 members of 100 sports associations to help boost the economy of tourism sector, and generate incomes to local villagers. 

The Sport Accord Convention 2018 will lead to the improvement to sports associations, promoting the roles of the Thai people in international sports associations, and exhibiting Thailand's readiness to host regional offices of international sports federations in the future.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-04
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonclark said:

So they have a soap opera that is popular and the government jumps in a tells people to dress like the people in the soap opera. 

The UK missed an opportunity there then didn't they - why weren't cameroon and May encouraging the UK populace to dress like the actors in Downton Abbey - Oh yes I know its a ridiculous idea!

Bugger Downton... that appealed to the seppo's more than the average Brit.

Now Coronation Street has much more to offer.

How about Peaky Blinders eh?

1 minute ago, klauskunkel said:

Sure, why not put on those expensive silk costumes and then face the beer swilling crowd with their ice-water/powder mix.

No.Whilst I understand the political import of all of this..

Nevertheless my mother-in-law will put on traditional costume for Songkran as will many of her friends and I admire her for it.

Having returned to my own country-sans tradition,respect,and  for anything other than 125 inch  flat screen TV's, and X Boxes- and with the brains of technological,industrialized proletarians,I prefer elsewhere.

I admire it  because that is why I came to Thailand,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The outfits everyone assumes  are period costumes are a fiction. The majority of Thais wore clothes that were dirty and  well worn because they were dirt poor peasants. Only the wealthy had the beautiful Chut Thai. Having  foreigners dress up in Thai outfits is an insult in the making. The  traditional outfits do not go well with scooters.

No,I don''t think so.

They had their Sunday best just as Welsh miners had.

Do not treat these people with disrespect.