Drink driving means going straight to jail - but it's just a massive online rumor

snoop1130

Drink driving means going straight to jail - but it's just a massive online rumor

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRi7PA5Wu0441nuGIj.jpg

Influential Thai media Thai Rath said Wednesday that social media was abuzz with rumor that drink driving meant instant jail as from Wednesday.

The rumors said that police did not need to wait for a court ruling - as soon as the breathalyzer said you were over the limit it was jail for a month. 

It was also widely spread that 10,000 baht was the non-negotiable fine and there was no way you could wriggle out with community service.

Thai Rath online checked with the courts of justice whose spokesman Suriyan Hongwilai said it was all nonsense.

The last change to the DUI laws was on May 14th 2107 when it was decided that under 20s would be considered drunk if they had 20 milligrams in their systems. Over 20s could have up to 50.

Suriyan said it was up to the court's discretion as to what punishment to mete out. 

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1247517

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-4-4

• Sad 1

It is a shame that this will probably never happen. From a failed breathalyser straight to jail cell would definitely be the way forward. Only a month is nowhere near long enough.

• Like 1

here in Phuket if they stop you and you are over which seems to be their opinion against yours,

its just seems a matter of a payment..

rule of thumb seems to be about 3/5,000 thb...

last mate stopped was told well thai's generally  pay 3,000 so how about 4,000 for you... 

only ever heard of one guy going to jail for the nite here, but he apparently feel

out of his car rolling drunk and trying to argue with the police..

i was stopped about 2 years ago on the main road in Phuket outside golf club, about 6pm in the evening by and out of control speeding police car, guy/cop must have been doing 150 klms per hour past us, he then decided to wait and stop me as i didnt move across fast enough which i did.... we stopped , the cop got out of his car and nearly fell onto the road drunk as a skunk, we then watched while he tried to put on his bright orange safety vest was funny to watch but dangerous as traffic everywhere , so we put our video on iPhone to capture... he came and argued, i put him onto a thai friend of mine on the phone, they spoke then he handed back my phone and my friend said just drive off now... which we did... nothing else.... we hadn't had a drink all day and were heading to dinner....

Edited by aussieinphuket
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

here in Phuket if they stop you and you are over which seems to be their opinion against yours,

last mate stopped was told well thai's generally  pay 3,000 so how about 4,000 for you... 

only ever heard of one guy going to jail for the nite here, but he apparently feel

i was stopped about 2 years ago on the main road in Phuket outside golf club, about 6pm in the evening by and out of control speeding police car, guy/cop must have been doing 150 klms per hour past us, he then decided to wait and stop me as i didnt move across fast enough which i did.... we stopped , the cop got out of his car and nearly fell onto the road drunk as a skunk, we then watched while he tried to put on his bright orange safety vest was funny to watch but dangerous as traffic everywhere , so we put our video on iPhone to capture... he came and argued, i put him onto a thai friend of mine on the phone, they spoke then he handed back my phone and my friend said just drive off now... which we did... nothing else.... we hadn't had a drink all day and were heading to dinner....

Wow thats cheap 10000 up to beat the blue in Udon. Mate paid 15000 but that was after failing a breatho on a Friday arvo and doing whatever he could to avoid getting banged up till the courts opened monday.

That’s very nice of them. A few years ago in Chiang Mai it was 30, 000 baht now I understand that is not available. Jail and courts only for so-called Farang (and Japanese).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can speak for Bangkok, its 5000 thb for motorcycle and no community service for first timers, and for lady car drivers its 6000 and no community service for first timers, for non thai male car drivers its 7000 thb fine and community service the first time. and second time it is jail-time. mind you jail time will involve getting your visa revoked and deported. The fee of 20,000 or 40,000 baht fines are not actually fines but the amount of bail so you dont stay the night in jail and come back to court on Monday. the bail is refunded in full. I know all this cause i did go to court and inquired the rules for Bangkok from the public prosecutor.  mind you these figures are for alchohol levels above 50mg but less than 70mg, for above 100 the fines are a bit higher. and different community service punishments. 

in Australia it wasnt unusual to see them set up a booze bus and all the drivers over the limit bused off to the station and all the cars left on the side of the road until picked up by someone that has not been drinking. Here they simply get back in and drive off, until being caught over the limit is automatic loss of licence and  spending time in a jail till you sober up then facing court to be fined nothing will change, way too many drivers drive under the influence and think nothing of it, bike/car seizure, loss of licence and big fines would go a long way towards stopping many of them doing it

Edited by seajae