Hundreds confirm Pheu Thai Party membership

webfact

Hundreds confirm Pheu Thai Party membership

By THE NATION

ca8f2b72362f604b163a8e270a3468c0.jpeg

Sudarat appears at party office but waiting to be accepted as a new member.

HUNDREDS OF Pheu Thai politicians yesterday confirmed their party membership, with one notable exception: Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, a key figure in the previous ruling party and its likely future leader, failed to sign up.

Sudarat appeared at the party’s headquarters in the afternoon, hours after the membership confirmation began.

400c0b7b1cd735ae9666ef1d5b3a43b2.jpeg

She said that she had applied to become a Pheu Thai member in 2013 but that due to a registration mistake, her name was not in the party’s membership system. “Whenever the party resumes accepting new members, I will apply,” she added.

ac5bb7078f4f9b92ee2cf9250b1843b5.jpeg

Although she is officially not a party member, Sudarat has been mingling with Pheu Thai politicians and has appeared at the party’s head office on many occasions. She was a key figure in the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, which was then led by Pheu Thai’s patriarch, Thaksin Shinawatra. 

Thaksin reportedly favours Sudarat to become the next Pheu Thai leader although she is opposed by various party factions, reportedly including one led by Thaksin’s sister Yaowapa Wongsawat. 

4aec3dc38e609f5f4c2ccec97d62c8b1.jpeg

Sudarat said yesterday that she did not volunteer to become a candidate to contest for the party’s leadership, adding that the current leader, Wirode Pao-in, is already doing a good job. “I have never said that I want to become the party leader. The question is whether I want to. I am just a small person who is doing her duty for the organisation,” she said.

6e03a4c68c405b9cc2b761806ff608d0.jpeg

When asked if she actually wanted to become the party leader, Sudarat said: “I don’t think anyone wants to.”

Yaowapa’s husband Somchai Wongsawat, another key Pheu Thai figure, was among the party’s former MPs and politicians who confirmed their membership yesterday. 

But Yaowapa did not show up to confirm membership at the party’s HQ yesterday. Somchai, a former prime minister, said it was because his wife opted to wash her hands of politics. He said he did not know the reason, adding that reporters had to ask Yaowapa themselves.

Somchai has been regarded as another strong candidate to become the next party leader due to his strong connections with the Shinawatra family.

When asked if he would lead the party, Somchai responded: “I don’t have much thought about that. Everything has its process. I am just a party member.”

More than 500 Pheu Thai’s former MPs, former Cabinet members and former election candidates showed up at the party’s HQ yesterday to confirm their party memberships. They each paid a lifetime membership fee of Bt2,000 to establish a party fund required by the new Political Parties Act. Altogether, more than Bt1 million was collected.

c28aaeb8bf62b778c5e66950a84355d1.jpeg

At the Chart Thai Pattana Party’s HQ, more than 30 former MPs and politicians confirmed their membership yesterday. 

All of them paid a lifetime membership fee of Bt2,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30342486

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-05

3 hours ago, webfact said:

she is opposed by various party factions, reportedly including one led by Thaksin’s sister Yaowapa Wongsawat

Presenting Shinawatra 3.0

Stalin with a hangover

I doubt any military on earth would revolt against this beast

Related image

Edited by grumbleweed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sudarat said " I don't think anybody wants to". Pretty telling they know the cards are stacked against them before the first hand is even dealt. Shows a lot of courage too knowing the could face court, jail or worse and are still willing have a crack. 

25 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Another wasted coup and back to the drawing board.   

Not so sure about that? where has the power ( & money been going) been the last 4 years?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

Presenting Shinawatra 3.0

Stalin with a hangover

I doubt any military on earth would revolt against this beast

Related image

They wouldn't need to revolt. Revolting enough already.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

But Yaowapa did not show up to confirm membership at the party’s HQ yesterday. Somchai, a former prime minister, said it was because his wife opted to wash her hands of politics. He said he did not know the reason,

I could hazard a guess...

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Impressive turnout and enough MPs to contest all the constituencies. No big names quitting the party and looks like the party is cohesive and confident in the up-coming election contrast with the disarray in the Dem Party. PTP looks set to win as most predicted. Another wasted coup and back to the drawing board.   

It looks like the same old, same old crowd with no young new faces or ideas.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had checked and posted it

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It looks like the same old, same old crowd with no young new faces or ideas.

Most are incumbent stalwarts of the party who have been with the party for a long time. Doubt any new younger members will be in this senior level. We can know if there are younger members for MP candidate when the political activity ban is lifted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Impressive turnout, some 400 people, just the same old dinosaur leeches / yes men.

Surely the party membership is more than just the leeches who sit in parliament, never contribute to debate because their 'contract' is to just sit there and keep your mouth shut, and vote as instructed and collect all benefits. 

Some 400 turned up, meaning that's the total number of party members. Impressive numbers.

Roll on the new face youngsters please... 

So you too feel that PTP will win the election. As for younger members, read my post. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Most are incumbent stalwarts of the party who have been with the party for a long time. Doubt any new younger members will be in this senior level. We can know if there are younger members for MP candidate when the political activity ban is lifted. 

Poor Eric. You still think PTP is in some way democratically run and a serious political party!

7 hours ago, starky said:

Sudarat said " I don't think anybody wants to". Pretty telling they know the cards are stacked against them before the first hand is even dealt. Shows a lot of courage too knowing the could face court, jail or worse and are still willing have a crack. 

Courage my arse! The motivator is greed and the trough the prize.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Impressive turnout and enough MPs to contest all the constituencies. No big names quitting the party and looks like the party is cohesive and confident in the up-coming election contrast with the disarray in the Dem Party. PTP looks set to win as most predicted. Another wasted coup and back to the drawing board.   

Thaksin thinks and commands, the PTP minions do as told. 

Yeah for Shin democracy and self enrichment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Courage my arse! The motivator is greed and the trough the prize.

Yep the trough is the prize but could be a very shitty end of the stick if they fail to get up.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Thaksin thinks and commands, the PTP minions do as told. 

Yeah for Shin democracy and self enrichment.

Majority of electorate still think Thaksin is relevant and the party is winning. Why change a winning formula. Do tell who in power is not into self enrichment. You can’t be that naive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

So you too feel that PTP will win the election. As for younger members, read my post. 

Eric, I really don't think that they will win the election though they will get a good number of seats. They certainly won't get an overall majority as I feel that the current government will not allow it.

PTP need to rid themselves of Thaksin's control and also to deal with the UDD one way or another and then they will stand a fair chance.

They may be able to take power, at least in the lower house, but it may end up as a poisoned chalice and the senate will be able to block or certainly delay any legislation that they don't like.

The Democrats, if they don't dump Abhisit and reform themselves (probably far too late anyway) will be lucky to hold on to the seats they used to have.

The new young parties will probably gain 30 or 40 seats between them (mainly in the cities) which will be a good taste for them of the things to come.

All this of course is just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

You and I have a different idea of what is impressive only 500 members for a party that supposed to represent millions ? You call that impressive ? Or do you call it impressive that they managed to get their top brass to show up ?

I guess your easier impressed then me. 

As for your other prediction of a PTP win, I doubt they will win a majority, the will probably be the biggest party though. Is that what you consider a win ?

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

You and I have a different idea of what is impressive only 500 members for a party that supposed to represent millions ? You call that impressive ? Or do you call it impressive that they managed to get their top brass to show up ?

I guess your easier impressed then me. 

As for your other prediction of a PTP win, I doubt they will win a majority, the will probably be the biggest party though. Is that what you consider a win ?

I think, correct me if I'm wrong that 500, was the biggest turn out so far by any party. You do realise it's only the party members and not the constituents who are supposed to turn up? What I consider a win is the party that wins the election all the rest is just pissing in the wind.