Local Laundry Lady vs Washing Machine

banagan

Washing machine over laundry service, is it that cheaper?

I've been here almost 5 years and have always used the local laundry services, not much of a budget tracking guy, but I reckon it works out roughly 200 baht a week. I like the convenience.

I'll be moving into a house soon, which doesn't have a washing machine. Plan on being here a while longer. Is it worth it getting one?

I think it would cost around 15,000 baht for a decent one... that coupled with the electricity cost, plus having to actually do laundry... is it that much cheaper to warrant it?

washing machine 5k. So in 6 months you have paid for it. Plus detergent and a bit of electricity. Usually some spot to hang them. I brought an extendable line back from oz. So convenient to put wash on. 

If you don't mind your clothes hung out on the dusty dirty roads and washed with the cheapest detergent. Gf and I did it once.  She was horrified at the state of the clothes. Straight down to buy a washing machine. If you need stuff ironed then pay someone a few baht. 

• Like 1

What can I say?  Someone else doing my laundry or me doing it?  My time is more valuable to me than a few baht. However, that still does not preclude buying a washer--hire a lady to come in twice a week to clean and wash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

The wash and iron service by the local ladies is one of the best deals on the planet. Find one you like and say hello to her and get to know her name. The relationship you will create is priceless. 

I did that......we have been now married for 8 wonderful years

Have A Nice Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I bought and modded condo put effort on fitting a washer dryer but glad I didn’t. There are three things I will never do in Thailand the first two laundry and cooking third won’t mention here.

The local washerwoman is a charm (casual labor) and the other Laundry a little more reliable cost about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an excellent washing machine from Macro for 8,000 baht. But if your a single guy guy, keep doing what your doing. Thai ladies only wear things once and then wash them, and with two boys a washing machine is a must.

11 hours ago, torrzent said:

use one of the 30 baht washers available in most hoods.

Nice point but some folks not so keen on washing their clothes in machines used by many others and not sure what chemicals of whatever might have been in the previous clothes.

Is there some residue still in the drum when previous user walks way? Do the owners of these coin operated public machines ever clean / seriously clean / disinfect the drum etc? I guess rather doubtful.

An option is to wash the clothes yourself then take the dried clothes to the local lady for ironing.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Got an excellent washing machine from Macro for 8,000 baht. But if your a single guy guy, keep doing what your doing. Thai ladies only wear things once and then wash them, and with two boys a washing machine is a must.

I much prefer to do it myself and have done for 12 years here and the rest of my life somewhere else. Using a good automatic machine is far more convenient that delivering dirty washing to a laundry and then picking it up again. I also don't like the idea of handing smelly clothes and underwear to a laundry girl. I work out a lot and have a lot of sweaty gym clothes and towels to wash. 

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Coin operated machines seem the best option. 30-40 baht. I don't need to iron any clothes. No need to buy, elec to pay, water, repairs, plus the noise if its in your condo/house.

I see laundry as a bit of a scam, ironing socks, whatever next

Ironing your underwear and socks kills the Mango Worm Larvae, hot air dryers won't kill them, they can bore their way into your skin.   I like my clothes ironed, don't care how much it costs me, I am a rich Falung.

What you need is a local lady AND a washing machine.

My partner takes care of the laundry but I certainly wouldn't consider doing it myself.

If you go the machine route a front loader would be my recommendation. They are more compact and do a better job than the top loaders. Despite what the makers tell you washing powder doesn't do as good a job with cold water than with hot. I am a big softy, getting into a freshly changed bed with clean and nice smelling sheets is a pleasure.

Using laundry services was hit and miss, sometimes the clothes smelled a bit manky, and odd stuff vanished, the brand stuff.

We could use the local laundry lady but have a washing machine. The major reason for using the machine is that our town water is often filthy so I use a 2-stage filter to clean it up - at the worst times, the filth on the filters cuts water flow to a trickle after 4 or 5 washloads so they must be cleaned. Very unlikely the laundry lady would do that so we'd end up with clothes coming out dirtier than when they went in. 

Ironing is sent out, though.

Edited by MartinL

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

The major reason for using the machine is that our town water is often filthy so I use a 2-stage filter to clean it up - at the worst times, the filth on the filters cuts water flow to a trickle after 4 or 5 washloads so they must be cleaned.

Have the baby granddaughter staying with us this week so slightly more washing.

Photos of a new filter and after 2 days use.

A new filter.JPG

Filter after 2 days use.JPG

Edited by MartinL

Just now, scorecard said:

How long is a piece of string?

That is the incorrect use of that "piece of string" expression and also the incorrect answer to the question.  The correct answer is that most places charge by the piece as they make more, but a few places also charge by the kilo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Who doesn't like to see a fat falang with an ironed Same Same But Different T-shirt? It just screams hi-so!

Who wants to be seen as hi-so?  If that is your objective, then you are a total poser!

Edited by torrzent