Songkran Survival Guide – Top Ten Tips

webfact

Songkran Survival Guide – Top Ten Tips

It’s not all nice room temperature Evian heading in your direction.

By Tim Newton

9a73bf4b60982f68edc9cee720651a5f-sld.jpe

Songkran is a celebration of the Thai New Year on April 13 each year. What started as a respectful washing of Buddha images with water to welcome in the forthcoming wet season, has turned into a mega-water fight. No prisoners are taken in this annual water battle – if you head outside or drive along the roads you WILL get wet. If you’re in a car it WILL get water thrown at it and probably a few handprints made with the sludge left over from the Prickly Powder.

It is a celebration and there’s plenty of music, noise, smiles AND water.

Sawasdee pi mai!! Happy Songkran.

30282660-02-sld.jpg

1) Wear goggles

Where did that water come from that just shot in your eye? You don’t know and you probably don’t want to know! Suffice to say your eyes are at danger from the many things that end up in the water, including the prickly powder that was thrown at you and now dribbling down your forehead or added to the water before it was squirted at you. It will sting either way. A cheap pair of swimming goggles are a perfect accessory for the Songkran Fashionista. And keep your mouth closed as much as possible. You really don’t want to be drinking that stuff being shot at you. Be aware that come people reload their water guns with iced water that is very bracing when it hits you – it’s not all nice room temperature Evian heading in your direction. Second option, protective eyewear.

305790067567068bd9599760dbe87d72.jpg

2) Have an exit strategy

Getting into an area where Songkran is going to be ‘busy’ is easy enough. Getting out can be another thing altogether. If you park your bike nearby it’s probably going to get parked in and leave you waiting to get to wherever you were intending to go next. If you intend to drink alcohol whilst ‘partaking of the new year waters’ then definitely plan to get a taxi home or have someone organised to get you back to your hotel safely. Having an exit strategy is a good investment tip – it’s a very good tip for Songkran as well. Know how you’re going to escape if 1) you need to or 2) when you want to.

3) Riding bikes will be VERY hazardous

Riding motorbikes at any time of the year is dangerous on Thailand’s roads. It’s a LOT more dangerous during Songkran. You might be quietly going to pick up a sandwich at your local convenience store and WHOOSH, an entire bucket of water is thrown at you from Songkran revellers on the side of the road. In fact, if you’re on a motorbike you’re considered a good target. So don’t wear your favourite Armani outfit if you’re on a motorbike and either avoid getting on a motorbike on April 13 or take it EXTREMELY slowly – you WILL get water thrown at you.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/songkran-survival-guide-top-ten-tips

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-04-05

I've bought this year's silly Songkran shirt, rediculously  colourful and patterned but very jolly.  Last year's shirt was mis-shapen after one soaking, and the colours ran.  I jazzed down the street for half an hour, sufficient I thought to show the village folk I'm an alright kinda falang.  And it WAS fun, but enough was enough.  I slipped away, shut the gate, bolted the door.   Same again this year.

TIP...If you drive a car keep the washer bottle topped up. A direct hit with a flour bomb caused havoc last year.

There's a lot more about Survival with much more specific recommendations for the 3 possible courses of action (besides vent) in the web version of the Pattaya Songkran FAQ here.

Edited by JSixpack

Number one should be

"DONT SHOOT OR SPLASH DIRECTLY INTO EYES, EARS OR DRIVERS OF MOVING VEHICLES".

Otherwise its great harmless fun, but every year there are those (usually westerners) who think its all about blinding someone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

While there will undoubtedly be the normal trashing of a fun event by those too set in their ways to enjoy it, but if you have not experienced it, go for it. I did my first Songkran in Bangkok in 1968; did my last one in Songkhla in 2017. Not sure, but thinking Ao Nang may be nice this year. I usually plan on making a day of it, either staying with friends or in a hotel near the area, or leaving after dark--early morning and late evening travel are relatively dry. Pack your dry goods in plastic and plan to get wet and have a good time--of course, a water gun will help.

The fact that about 300 Hundred people die each year and now it resembles the film The Purge in some places is good enough reason for any normal person to take part in the "Trashing of fun".

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Since 08 - April and May have become my vacation month

1) Take the Air Asia flights to Indonesia; reverse seasons, go snorkeling.

2) Every 3 years take a trip home. Rainy, cold, except well today is sunny with a storm coming in tonight.

Pre 08, I would play in water, or take pictures for 1 day, then hole up with food, coffee, beer, rum, stocked the week before. Watch movies, sports, TV series. and knock off about 3 to 5 books. I enjoyed doing this.

Edited by LomSak27

One suggestion I didn’t notice was get a plastic package for electronic components like cell phone or air card. 

During my first songkran here I went walking on Ladphrao 101 to photograph the festivities. I wrapped my camera in plastic even then most revelers seemed to show respect and avoided splashing it. I took over 250 photos and gave copies to many people which seemed appreciated. 

I am not a party animal. In fact I am not comfortable in big crowds but I won’t be critical of people that are out having fun. I dress appropriately and stay safe. 

I'm in BKK right now. Fly back to Myanmar on the 12th. Thingyan water festival has the same dates as Songran. So I'll stay at my hotel and work on my motorbike to 'pimp' it with all the new accessories that I've bought in BKK.

I opt to leave the country.

+1

We are on our way to Singapore for 2 weeks.

We are not escaping Songkran that much but more the explosion of noise as in our neck of the woods Songkran is the time (amongst other things) for youths to enter the monk hood and that means Speakers From Hell blasting for days on end.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, juice777 said:

The fact that about 300 Hundred people die each year and now it resembles the film The Purge in some places is good enough reason for any normal person to take part in the "Trashing of fun".

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And, just how do they die throwing water at each other? If you keep your eyes covered and mouth shut, you'll likely not even get sick from Songkran, no matter the source of the water. Even more so, just stay home and you will not suffer anything other than possible boredom. The deaths are by and large caused by cretins who cannot handle their alcohol and they largely occur on the open road, not the roads clogged by Songkran revelers.

I do stay every year over Songkran in a nice hotel or resort for 4 days with my wife and son.
We arrive on the 12th and leave on the 16th and let the crazy stuff outside on the road to others. Worth the money spent.
Quality time with family! Worked well for us the last decade.

• Like 1