Structure of Roof - Purlin supports

Cashboy

2 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

It is common sense to me  not to trust the 20,000+ lbs of this roof to a couple of spots but I seek solid evidence this is not sufficient...or maybe find out I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks

Our work sheds built using hollow blocks transfer roof load along a hidden ring beam cut into the block. The bolted fixing plate allows for expansion of the long truss spans. A Thai roof is normally welded directly to the columns in hope that expansion wont cause cracks in the walls or column joints.

We extend the trusses for extra air flow otherwise the roof fix would be on the pitched rafter.

roof.jpg.1a6519fa09ca8173a41628825856aa64.jpg

40 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

Yes but right now its the welding.  Do you have experience in this. What are your thoughts on the spot welds ...good enough or not?

To me they look very short, as if they mark where 10cm welds are going to start. But you really need someone who knows what they are looking at and best practices.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, MarcIssan said:

Yes but right now its the welding.  Do you have experience in this. What are your thoughts on the spot welds ...good enough or not?

Personally I don't like the idea of welding along that small contact point and would want a more substantial connection. There is no decent contact to the horizontal wall plate and the load would slip if the weld failed. My guess is your Euro builder will say its ok mate we done it this way a thousands times before.

A wood roof construction would bird mouth the rafter or use a fixing bracket to improve joint.

BTW. Your hijacking of this thread has created confusion between your questions and the photos from the OP. 

On 6/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, MarcIssan said:

Without seeing on site detail spot welds are only OK in some construction.

Is a horizontal span beam being used ?

There so many different rafter eave roof details.

Get more than spot welding done or add an addition steel plate to the column/rafter junction. 

e.g.

main-qimg-98a7b105154dcdf0f2d98e90c20f1274-c.jpg.91edeba0a4ba942cf5eee26ab8049df3.jpg

Archived