Hp Pavillion 6000 Series (6115tz) Mystery Problem

kayo

Hi guys (and girls?)

Ok, Newest mystery to solve:

I've searched every HP message board forum and tech support forum I could find over the past 15 hours, with no luck.

Many have mentioned an (apparently) common "high pitched continuous beep/noise" while running their machines, and it seems to have something to do with this fancy schmanzy Duo processor thingie (maybe) ...

My (bro's) problem is this:

When the machine IS SHUT DOWN and off for the night, it RANDOMLY starts emitting a high pitched continuous noise. It is not a speaker emitted noise either.

I need it to happen again, before I can establish exactly where the noise comes from.

But this is happening randomly when the power is OFF, and, I believe regardless of whether the machine is plugged in or not.

Any ideas folks?

....When the machine IS SHUT DOWN and off for the night, it RANDOMLY starts emitting a high pitched continuous noise....and, I believe regardless of whether the machine is plugged in or not.
kayo - First, if the noise your hearing still happens when the machine is unplugged from the mains, I'd suggest you call in the local voodo priest, cause you have more than a simple computer problem. :o

OK, I assume your "bro" isn't overclocking the CPU, so you will now need to open the computer case, and check the following:

1. Ask your "bro" if he or anyone else has installed any new hardware, such as a second HDD, CD/DVD player or burner, a new video card, etc. If so, trace the power lead on ALL units back to the power supply and make sure there is only one (1) item plugged into any one power supply lead.

2. After removing the computer's cover, turn unit on and check if noise returns. If it doesn't, you may have a "overheat" problem affecting various chipsets/motherboard/powersupply components. Check that ALL cooling fans are working.

3. Listen for the noise and attempt to determine where it is coming from, such as from the power supply or motherboard. Some motherboards and modems have very small piezo speakers mounted on their pc boards. Look for these and try to determine if sound is coming from one of them. (Various electrical transformers can also cause noises/vibrations, when their laminations become loose.)

4. If problem continues, turn-off computer and try removing (one at a time) the various cards, such as video card, modem, etc. plugged into expansion slots, then turn unit on again and check for noise.

5. Post back your findings/observations.

I would agree with cdnvic that it may be a power supply problem. If it is, the good news is, power supply's are relatively inexpensive.

waldwolf

This highpitched noise, does it go "beep beep" or only "beep" ?

Is the sound starting at a high pitch, and then falling to a lower one ?

Could be a good idea to check the small case warning speaker.

Maybe there are some residual electricity in the system after shutdown, triggering an alarm, making that speaker produce the noise.

I can't think of anything else, except the PS perhaps, making such a noise

after shutdown.

Edited by sabajja

Sabaija, I think your "guess-estimation" there may be the closest thing to the symptoms.

It's a rather high pitched continuous noise, nearly a bit like when your ears block and your hear a whine , like it was nearly in the background but not quite. I've been waiting since my post yesterday to hear it again. His laptop is here next to me as I type (next to my bed all night) but it has not recurred yet. Despite it only happening when the machine is shut down, it may be that it only goes off when plugged in, so tonight I'll leave it plugged in.

It in my opinion, does have something to do with what you say, or as Vic mentions, the Power Supply.

I'm a long shot from being in anyway, shape or form qualified to go round opening up (other peoples) laptops, but if it is a power supply then I reckon his warrenty should cover it.

I'll check back on here as and when the machine makes the noise again, to be able to establish more specifics and a big thank you to all for your ever-swift replies.

My (bro's) problem is this:

When the machine IS SHUT DOWN and off for the night, it RANDOMLY starts emitting a high pitched continuous noise. It is not a speaker emitted noise either.

I need it to happen again, before I can establish exactly where the noise comes from.

But this is happening randomly when the power is OFF, and, I believe regardless of whether the machine is plugged in or not.

Any ideas folks?

Maybe your LiIO battery is about to explode and catch fire? There have been some cases recently... I would take this pretty seriously if it happens when the machine is switched off AND unplugged. Definitely confirm that it happens in unplugged state - if it only happens when plugged in it might just be a faulty power supply.

Return to HP - I am sure they will replace the battery for you if you tell them you are afraid it will catch on fire... then you will see if the sound still happens with a new battery.

You could also take the battery out and see if the sound happens...

the plot thickens, then.

I, as per my last post, still need to diagnose more details about the problem myself (so far only my brothers hearsay) but his only cure for it was indeed to eject the battery and replace it (whereupon the noise would stop and not return - until the next occasion. It is a sporadic thing.

It's plugged in since about an hour, and I await patiently, watching cheers (and typing from my own laptop.

the plot thickens, then.

I, as per my last post, still need to diagnose more details about the problem myself (so far only my brothers hearsay) but his only cure for it was indeed to eject the battery and replace it (whereupon the noise would stop and not return - until the next occasion. It is a sporadic thing.

It's plugged in since about an hour, and I await patiently, watching cheers (and typing from my own laptop.

That sounds like a physical/mechanical (vibration) or resonance problem.

Transformers and the like can sing,

but that will not be the case here as the PS will be a swtiching one

Okay, so last night it finally made the noise again.

A high pitched sort of ethereal constant whine.

First off> It ONLY does it when the Laptop is SHUT DOWN and UNPLUGGED

I stuck my ear to the thing, and it comes from exactly under the spot where you would plug in the power cable. I'm thinking / Power supply of the laptop. It is def. not the battery, and the whine can barely be heard from any other area of the laptop.

I am about ready to recommend my brother go see a local hp dealer (he-s still under warranty) but I thought i-d check in with youu guys first.

Meanwhile, I have my own problem of which I-m about to post a new thread (Compaq).[