Tambon chief ‘took bribe but did not do the job’

webfact

Tambon chief ‘took bribe but did not do the job’

By Wichit Meesawas 
The Nation

27e4d30911f02106e120fa4954236690.jpeg

The chief executive of Tambon Kham Pia Administrative Organisation has reportedly admitted to taking Bt280,000 in bribe from a man and then failing to secure him job at his agency.

The corruption was exposed when the man who offered the bribe, Wuttipong Sangkawan, himself reported it to the government. 

“I need to speak up and ask for help because I have not got a job after waiting for about one year,” Wuttipong said on Wednesday. 

He submitted evidence of bribery, which includes an audio clip and payment records, to the chief of Ubon Ratchathani’s Trakan Phutphon district. 

The Tambon Kham Pia Administrative Organisation in Ubon Ratchathani province is headed by Prayad Lamom, who has been accused of receiving the bribe.

Wichai Duangkaew, the head the government’s complaint receiving centre in Ubon Ratchathani, summoned Prayad and Wuttipong to his office on Wednesday. 

During the meeting, Prayad reportedly admitted to taking the bribe, and offered to repay Wuttipong in full. 

Prayad handed over Bt135,000 to Wuttipong during the meeting and signed a contract to return Bt1450,000 on May 30. 

“We will launch a disciplinary probe against Prayad,” Wichai said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30342984

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-11

Please help me with my weak math: My son in law is a skilled worker and earns about THB200,000 per year. Why should someone pay a THB280,000 bribe to get a less payed office job?

But maybe math is not the problem here...

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

The chief executive of Tambon Kham Pia Administrative Organisation has reportedly admitted to taking Bt280,000 in bribe from a man and then failing to secure him job at his agency.

Can't trust anyone these days.

• Like 1

So even the Nation uses a Thai calculator these days? I get so tired of this.

Prayad handed over Bt135,000 to Wuttipong during the meeting and signed a contract to return Bt1450,000 on May 30. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“We will launch a disciplinary probe against Prayad,"

Another committee, another probe. Where are the police? Presumably corruption and bribery within the civil service isn't a crime.

So how does Prayut hope to fix corruption? He cannot fix it because it seems that this and other cases of fraud and embezzlement in the civil service is outside police jurisdiction and comes under the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) where penalties are minimal and punishment befitting crime does not apply. 

• Like 2

And should anyone wonder why the quality of government services and government projects is so c**p here?

The people doing the work aren't those best qualified for the job in the case of hiring, or those who bid the lowest price for the required specs in the case of contracts.

It's those who paid the biggest bribe or kickback to the decision maker, and then reimbursed themselves for the bribe by doing c**p work, extorting others, or skimming funds out of projects.

That's the price the country pays for corruption -- hacks in positions of authority, and the shoddy work and projects that they produce.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ralf61 said:

Please help me with my weak math: My son in law is a skilled worker and earns about THB200,000 per year. Why should someone pay a THB280,000 bribe to get a less payed office job?

But maybe math is not the problem here...

So they get themselves into the position where they can begin to recoup their investment by asking for bribes....

20 hours ago, Thian said:

So even the Nation uses a Thai calculator these days? I get so tired of this.

Just a simple typo error. The sort of thing that everybody does once in a while.

Mostly they get picked up and corrected.

On 11/04/2018 at 5:20 PM, Cadbury said:

Another committee, another probe. Where are the police? Presumably corruption and bribery within the civil service isn't a crime.

So how does Prayut hope to fix corruption? He cannot fix it because it seems that this and other cases of fraud and embezzlement in the civil service is outside police jurisdiction and comes under the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) where penalties are minimal and punishment befitting crime does not apply. 

My thoughts exactly, seven years each in the pokey and no pension and funds confiscated, simple really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Is the issue here that he took the bribe or that, in taking the bribe, he didn't fulfil his end of the bargain?

The latter, the former just highlights the prevalence of the issue, and how valuable a government job really is - snout closer to the trough.

Edited by coulson
Typo