New Airport Surin - Prasat

superal

Two or three years ago I wrote about the uttering of a new airport between Surin & Prasat , well that apparently is more than a rumour as I have been told by several Thai folk that it is imminent and will be built on land behind the clothing factory which is about 8 km out of Prasat . I have no firm details of the scale of travel but the earlier info was that Emirates were involved . However , even if it is to and from Bangkok it will be a godsend as the road journey is about 6 hours .  Has anyone else been told or heard anything ?   

I haven’t heard anything about it, but why would they build an airport there when there already is an airport in town. I believe currently it’s not in use.

Also if you want to go to Surin quickly, you can fly from Don Muang Airport to Buriram (BFV) and then have a Minibus drop you of at the Majestic Hotel near the Bus station in Surin.

Nok Air does that trip.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I haven’t heard anything about it, but why would they build an airport there when there already is an airport in town. I believe currently it’s not in use.

Also if you want to go to Surin quickly, you can fly from Don Muang Airport to Buriram (BFV) and then have a Minibus drop you of at the Majestic Hotel near the Bus station in Surin.

Nok Air does that trip.

I am told its all part of the new A.E.C. build up which also coincides with the expansion of the route 214 to Chong Chom and the Cambodian border . I am fully aware of the Buriram flights as I used Airasia only 3 weeks ago , however that is a 90 minute journey to Prasat . The unused or little used Surin airport cannot be developed because of its proximity to the local hospital which limits its take off  and landing area . We will see if I am right with this story shortly but I have to say that there are a lot of Thai people talking about it . I will try to come back on this if and when I hear something official .

Emirates involved? I can't really imagine that ...

I am most interested if there would be another airport built in the Surin area. Please be so kind as to update me if anything concrete develops. I for myself will think about "creating an airport" in Microsoft Flight Simulator in the Prasat area. By the way, airlines would do better to take smaller aircraft to Buriram in order to fill them up and have maybe more frequency to and from Buriram. Would be a wise move.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dario said:

I am most interested if there would be another airport built in the Surin area. Please be so kind as to update me if anything concrete develops. I for myself will think about "creating an airport" in Microsoft Flight Simulator in the Prasat area. By the way, airlines would do better to take smaller aircraft to Buriram in order to fill them up and have maybe more frequency to and from Buriram. Would be a wise move.

Yeah and Bill Gates is handling the wiring lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2018 at 7:31 PM, tso310 said:

Well after you know who's visit to Buriram yesterday, a new Surin airport has been doing the rounds, strongly, on the grapevine. We'll just have to wait and see.

A Thai business friend has seen the footprint of the airport development in the area I describe earlier and the year 2020 has been mentioned for the start of construction but I cannot find anything official . However I flew out of Buriram last week and there appears to be development going on there as well . It would be an asset if flights were available to other parts of Thailand from Buriram direct as opposed to a connection through Bangkok Don Mueng 

I believe that the Developments at Buriram (Satuek) Airport has been going on quite a while now and they are mainly because of the MotoGP Championship in October at Chang Circuit.

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

I believe that the Developments at Buriram (Satuek) Airport has been going on quite a while now and they are mainly because of the MotoGP Championship in October at Chang Circuit.

Yes but its just increasing the apron space to 6 aircraft. No money in the budget for a runway extension or terminal expansion. This is being asked for when Prayuth visited. 

9 hours ago, superal said:

Is that rumour of fact ?

Fact. I'm still a bit sceptical as to whether it is economically viable. Long gone are the days when the Thai gov used to subsidise new provincial routes, eg Buriram for about 2/3 years. Korat airport hasn't exactly been a rip roaring success.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, Dario said:

Have to say that I have flown in and  out  of Buriram twice in the last month with Air Asia . Two of the flights were full and the others at least 90% . My only grumble is that the flights only go to Don Mueang and not to Suvarnabhumi which would be very convenient if departing from  there as it would save the hassle of the road journey between the ports . My son flew out of  Udon Thani this week where you have that option .

How small an aircraft are you thinking of seating wise ?  I would not like to fly in say a 12 seater plane but perhaps some may enjoy . 

Yes I have heard this from locals, Satuk/Buriram will most likely need to accommodate more than one plane at a time for the GP, hence the increase in activity to provide faciity

Prasat would be good for Surin visitors and locals I think demand would climb slowly, depends if the initial traffic will promote continuation.

• Like 1

"Bt40 million to study the possibility of constructing a commercial airport in Surin"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30344912

Key word is "possibility".

Rumor have suggested east of Surin off the 226. East of the Hanes Paintyhose Factory on the 214.  Just east of the Chong Chom Market. AND Soi Kola. Personally I pick Soi Kola. :partytime2:

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

"Bt40 million to study the possibility of constructing a commercial airport in Surin"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30344912

Key word is "possibility".

Rumor have suggested east of Surin off the 226. East of the Hanes Paintyhose Factory on the 214.  Just east of the Chong Chom Market. AND Soi Kola. Personally I pick Soi Kola. :partytime2:

At last some real info that quashes the rumors and thanks for that . Extract statement copied below .

Other proposals examined included a Bt70-million study for a dual-rail logistics system, Bt40 million to study the possibility of constructing a commercial airport in Surin and Bt100 million in additional budget to promote elephant tourism.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope it comes to fruition .

On 5/13/2018 at 12:31 PM, superal said:

A Thai business friend has seen the footprint of the airport development in the area I describe earlier and the year 2020 has been mentioned for the start of construction but I cannot find anything official . However I flew out of Buriram last week and there appears to be development going on there as well . It would be an asset if flights were available to other parts of Thailand from Buriram direct as opposed to a connection through Bangkok Don Mueng 

You need to remember that elections are supposed to be not far off !