Why is Songkran disliked by so many Expats?

webfact

18 minutes ago, gmac said:

Actually I don't live near the party town any more, moved away 3 years ago but that doesn't change the problem those that do live near it experience every year.  10 days of mayhem is too much.  Also have experience of living with your traffic near Ikea and getting away from that has improved my health 100%!

Actually, that is a choice someone has to make, personally I take the traffic because the upsides are so much. So as i said choices if you don't like songkran move away from the party area's. You did so you took charge of your life. I don't think you lived in my area as the IKEA opened last month (northern BKK)

10 days is in Pattaya because its a party town in other area''s its 3-4 days and here yesterday I went out on the bike to the IKEA no water was thrown on me.. I did not see any water throwers, did see some pickups with people in the back with a large water container. 

This morning, I went out did my exercise (just now) nobody there to wet me. Not that I would have minded that much i was wet enough from sweat. Point is there are plenty of places where Songkran is not a problem. If people hate it so much they can move for a short while and let the majority of people (Thais and tourists) enjoy themselves. 

17 hours ago, tropo said:

We weren't discussing the best place to live in Thailand, but Songkran, but seeing as you brought it up - I'd suggest your place is nicer for about 1 week a year - Songkran week.

Where you live depends on choices, and that is personal for everyone. People fail to understand that each place has its upsides and downsides. 

I told you my place transformed in the last years from an out of the way area to one with a BTS, Huge central biggest in BKK (so they say) and now the biggest IKEA. Does mean a lot more traffic i personally can live with it. Its still not a good place to drink and party but otherwise I am quite happy here.. if the village only repaired the pool id be in heaven. (ok that is overstating it)

13 hours ago, djayz said:

I don't actually mind Songkran too much. One day of getting wet is when I go out is enough for me though. 

The only problem I have with it are auld fellas out splashing water - they should do something more productive with their time and leave the splashing to the younger ones. 

What, sit in their wheelchairs like you do just watching the world go by instead of living an enjoyable fun life. Are you afraid of joining in the fun with the children because someone might think that you could be human and alive after all

Some posts and replies have been removed, please see the following forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the vast majority of expats who hate Songkran are Pattaya based. Obviously it goes on for far to long in Pattaya, but Pattaya is a party city which expats enjoy living all year around because of the way it is. You have to take the bad with the good. 

Last year i was in the villages in Issan, this year in Chumphon both just 1 day of water throwing. 

I sense there is a very high correlation between those who really dislike Songkran, and living in tourist areas. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I don't disagree with your complaint  but I wonder how the authorities can go about reducing it to two days?

Would they need to arrest anyone carrying water?

They should make it like Hua hin 2 days all done

• Like 1

I lived in Pattaya for 18 months - at the time (2014/5) my recollection of Songkran celebrations was only marred by a ambushing gang of farangs and Thai girls hurling buckets and buckets of water into the baht bus I was riding in Soi Buakhau at around 5pm.  Apart from that premeditated drenching, other attempts were light-hearted and par for the course.. 

It seems in recent times the upsurge of water cannons and ice in buckets has led to more dangerous soakings as the water force is considerable if aimed at the face. That I despise as being in the region of excessive force and possibly GBH. And some on here call it fun...

In 2016, in CM, it was a free for all fight all down the main entertainments area - I got soaked through and vowed never to venture another year's worth of similar activities. 2017, my Thai wife looked great in her skimpy outfit, though, wearing a helmet and goggles and carrying a water cannon. She had a good party-time.

This year, so far so good in my Moobahn.  No one around, and the wife travelling to Malaysia by train on holiday keeps it quiet.

I hope that water cannons will be banned in the future although I can't see it being enforced, can you?

1 hour ago, maccastime said:

They should make it like Hua hin 2 days all done

In HH they follow the rules and do it to show respect for the King. 

Even if it's a tourist city. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, balo said:

In HH they follow the rules and do it to show respect for the King. 

Even if it's a tourist city. 

As it should be everywhere in Thailand. But I feel TAT consider it a great revenue source - greedy buggers with zero consideration for fatalities. 

• Like 1

Loosen up , enjoy life enjoy  Songkran.

If you don't like Songkran just confine yourself to home or hotel whatever, just lock yourself away for a few days you knew Songkran was coming with all its attendant activities.

songkran-day.jpg

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

What, sit in their wheelchairs like you do just watching the world go by instead of living an enjoyable fun life. Are you afraid of joining in the fun with the children because someone might think that you could be human and alive after all

No i for 1 do not sit in my wheelchair watching life go by.

I get out and do as much as I POSSIBLY CAN.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Modern Songkran is a vile abomination of a once charming and traditional festival. 

I would like to think that also but last year, someone posted black and white photos from 60 or 70s era, of Thais doing water battles on city streets similar to today - but without all the modern, plastic "weapons of war". :biggrin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

That is only your opinion which doesn't count for much because you do not have the knowledge of what happens outside of the pits

Lighten up dude - there's no need to take this so seriously. I don't care where you live - just be happy!

18 hours ago, Knocker33 said:
On 4/12/2018 at 10:19 AM, Thongkorn said:

It will be interesting to see how the packs of Chinease react when wet through 

You can't get that wet In an a/c bus or 7/11

Don't worry about the Chinese. I doubt any of them have been thrown into Pattaya unaware of Songkran and what to expect.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

It seems to me that the vast majority of expats who hate Songkran are Pattaya based. Obviously it goes on for far to long in Pattaya, but Pattaya is a party city which expats enjoy living all year around because of the way it is. You have to take the bad with the good. 

Last year i was in the villages in Issan, this year in Chumphon both just 1 day of water throwing. 

I sense there is a very high correlation between those who really dislike Songkran, and living in tourist areas. 

Maybe so.  

The village I used to live in up county a ways, reduced water fight down to 1 or 2 days last year.  The local cops also seemed to get out of bed and restricted activity on the main 4 lane highway that cuts through town.  That alone probably saved a few people from themselves, and a few others from being flattened involuntarily.

In larger cities, village and tourist concentration areas, makes sense to have designated party zone(s) where folks can cut loose w/o the alcohol/moving vehicle combination.  Same concept as closing Walking St. to vehicle traffic at night.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, swissie said:

Funny, in the OP is says something like "Farangs escaping Thailand during Songkran". Why?

FOR TOURIST HUB DWELLERS: Take this opportunity to spend a few days in the Thai-Sticks where Songkran is more celebrated the traditional way (see picture above).
The few kids that throw water at motorcyclists can easily be "reighned-in". After having been doused the first time, return with some Ice-Cream and tell 'em: "You had your fun, no more water in Farangs face, OK?" Works in the sticks!
Again, some "Tourist-Hub" Farangs should take this opportunity to explore the other Thailand for a few days out of the year.
CAUTION: You may even like it and do the same thing next year!
Cheers.
PS: By "Thai-Sticks" I don't mean Udon or Ubon or Buri-Ram City, more like a village of 500 souls, featuring 1 (one) Hotel, likely to be owned by the local chief of Police. :smile:

Having lived in a small village, I'd rather stay where I am and watch tv for 4 days.

Perhaps your idea has merit for those never been outside the city.

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, Russell17au said:

I dunno , on the other hand , some people need to have water fights just to try to get some "fun" in their lives .

I can think of many ways of enjoying myself , but walking around shooting people with a water pistol, just isnt one of them .

People are soaking wet and you fire your water pistol at them . just where is the fun in that ?

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You surprise me - I thought most Brits had a deathly fear of water.

The Brits: who managed to convert the noun glass into a verb. "He threw filthy water in my face so I glassed him."....Nice one.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, darksidedog said:

I wouldn't dislike Songkran so much if it was celebrated, as in much of the country for a single day. In Pattaya wherever you go for 10 days you are likely to get soaked, even late in the evening after it is supposed to have stopped. It means you have to think long and hard about being able to go anywhere for an extended period, not to mention putting phone, wallet etc under the bike seat or in a zip lock bag. One day can be fun. 10 days or more is not a party.

I was riding in my bike last night at around 7 pm , I thought the party was over but when I tried to pass a section of the highway in Chiang Mai, there were two kids waiting for bikers to pass by just to splash at them.

I thought by speeding up, I would have avoided them but alas, the boy caught me and I was drenched wet when I sat at a stall for my dinner.

Now I am afraid to go out for dinner until the water throwing stops.

I mean these people should adhere to the time when water throwing is allowed.

Edited by EricTh

On 4/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, sanemax said:

Songran lasts for four days , I like the other 361 days of living in Thailand.

Songran is nothing to do with the New year , its solely about throwing water at other people , I do not believe in good or bad luck , so I dont appreciate anyone throwing talc and water over me , although there may very well be some "bad luck" coming their way , if they thrown talc over me when Im in a bad mood

Songkran was never about throwing buckets of water at people in roads, read the origin below.

Edited by EricTh

35 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I was riding in my bike last night at around 7 pm , I thought the party was over but when I tried to pass a section of the highway in Chiang Mai, there were two kids waiting for bikers to pass by just to splash at them.

I thought by speeding up, I would have avoided them but alas, the boy caught me and I was drenched wet when I sat at a stall for my dinner.

I been driving around the area of my gated village in the BKK suburbs, I havent been hit by a drop of water. I guess people here are better behaved. Still getting drenched and eating at a stall is not the end of the world. It would be if the climate was different. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

The village i am staying in for Songkhran usually stops about 5 pm. Anyone is fair game if they are on a scooter; they don't usually bother with cars unless there is flour paste handy.

Unfortunately, Chiang Mai is so infested with morons they'll be out there throwing buckets of water and ice until 10 pm. I either hole up in the condo with supplies, or get out to more

sensible places, such as Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 7:32 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Having lived in a small village, I'd rather stay where I am and watch tv for 4 days.

Perhaps your idea has merit for those never been outside the city.

Village life is not the real Thailand. Village life is village life anywhere in the world. Except in Thailand it's particularly hideous, dull, tedious and inward looking. I just leave Pattaya and Thailand behind for 10 days

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

i dont know why people have to be anti-social with songkran, there are plenty of people who want to 'play' water so why dont they just play with each other and leave people who obviously dont want to 'play' alone?

i was sitting in a restaurant in an area where people weren't throwing water and someone comes along and squirts water in my face. why do that? for what?

what has throwing water at traffic got to do with songkran? it's is such a dangerously stupid thing to do.

it seems causing harm and offence is the objective for many at songkran time.

These boys don't seem to understand that splashing water on a biker can cause  accident if he is blinded temporarily by the water and smashed into something.

The party time is supposed to stop at 5pm so they are doing so illegally.

Edited by EricTh