Songkran kicks off with 2,700 charges of drunk driving

webfact

Songkran kicks off with 2,700 charges of drunk driving

By The Nation

ffabe956c8a18c2bb39939e161cff733.jpeg.3d291dd23e9bbf29c12f150e3ec63934.jpg

FILE photo

More than 3,000 motorists were found to be driving while drunk on the first of the so-called “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday.

A junta spokeswoman said on Thursday that 156 vehicles were seized the day before and 2,716 motorcyclists and other drivers were charged with drunk driving.

Deputy spokeswoman Col Sirichan Ngathong said stepped-up spot checks on roads had identified 3,339 cases of drunk driving.

More than 1,860 of those cases involved motorcyclists, she said, and 105 motorcycles were seized and 356 driving licences were confiscated.

Authorities arrested 1,457 motorcyclists who will be going to court, while the rest were fined.

The remainder of the cases involved private cars and transport vehicles, with 41 vehicles seized and 82 driving licences confiscated.

A total of 1,259 motorists face charges in court and the rest were fined.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30343049

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

That don't drink and drive message appears not to have been heard or understood by a fairly large multitude then.

Also wondering why 3,339 people were found to be drunk but only 2,716 actually got charged with anything. Surely the cops wouldn't dream of taking a backhander from the other 623?

Yep, very confusing figures in that release.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That don't drink and drive message appears not to have been heard or understood by a fairly large multitude then.

Also wondering why 3,339 people were found to be drunk but only 2,716 actually got charged with anything. Surely the cops wouldn't dream of taking a backhander from the other 623?

I was just thinking the Same!! 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, meatboy said:

1860 involved motor cyclists and 105 bikes seized,that equals to over 17 per bike.confusing.

One is left to assume they let the other 1755 piss-heads get back on their bikes and drive off into the sunset. With their pockets being a bit lighter. You have to wonder  if any of them were in the first day death count of 39.

Edited by Cadbury

A few days ago I drive around 3,000 km in Thailand, what I saw was many number plate like that what you see in the pic!

I suspect this is a new trick to avoid the fine....

how to make the license plate illegible?

IMG_4344.JPG

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They forgot to put that checked 3340 drivers

• Like 1

ambushed in the back of a songtao today ,absolutely disgusting..stopped in traffic as these hodlums let loose with filthy ice water in buckets ,we had no place to hide I just tried to protect my 4 yr old boy .they say ''we are just having a little fun''...sure YOU are, ''what about  the people you are ambushing'' ..absolutely out of control...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

1860 involved motor cyclists and 105 bikes seized,that equals to over 17 per bike.confusing.

Every Thai knows 17 people can easily ride on one motorcycle. Are you bragging here because you passed the O NET test?:wink:

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What makes you think they would? Of course they wouldn't.:shock1:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mok199 said:

ambushed in the back of a songtao today ,absolutely disgusting..stopped in traffic as these hodlums let loose with filthy ice water in buckets ,we had no place to hide I just tried to protect my 4 yr old boy .they say ''we are just having a little fun''...sure YOU are, ''what about  the people you are ambushing'' ..absolutely out of control...

I was once trapped the same way in a baht bus on Beach Road in Pattaya. It isn't fun. It's hooliganism and the usual Me First selfishness that is embedded into Thai culture. In this case, I want to have fun and I don't care what you think.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was once trapped the same way in a baht bus on Beach Road in Pattaya. It isn't fun. It's hooliganism and the usual Me First selfishness that is embedded into Thai culture. In this case, I want to have fun and I don't care what you think.

as a family we go out on the last day,we dress for it ,we arm ourselves ,and we have a blast...but today I was not expecting it,silly me..have a safe dry songkran sir

It isn't always the Police who stop Drunk Driving.

In Canada the group called MADD   ( Mothers Against Drunk Driving).   They focus on 5 areas and have been very effective in making their peers more responsible with drunk driving.

Could THAI private citizens band together and stop their peers/family from Drunk Driving ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PhonThong said:

I feel the carnage may be worse than expected. 

Last year was pretty low key as far as things go because of the mourning period. 

This year the populous may try and cram two years into one to make up for it.

plus they have been given an extra days holiday.....so figures will go up