Why no milkshakes?

canuckamuck

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Where's a guy got to go to get a milkshake?

I've seen milkshakes offered a few places, once I instantly recall was (or probably still is) in a Central Festival shopping mall. According to science, most South East Asian people suffers from lactose intolerance – i.e. cannot digest milk-sugar – which could well be a reason why milkshake bars are not that popular and widespread in Thailand...:wink:

In the past I tried the milkshakes in many restaurants and mom and pop shops in Thailand. None were milkshakes. they were like a smoothie all crushed ice and flavoring no ice cream.  Even Burger King is not authentic milk shake but hey probably impossible now to even purchase a real milk shake machine any where. All the milk shakes now a days come from a dispenser and have for decades. 

Edited by lovelomsak

5 hours ago, Brickbat said:

What about a ham, cheese and tomato toastie? Every coffee shop would rake it in, but then, that entrepreneur spirit ain’t there. Even a Pom selling ice cream near Panthip gave up milkshakes after a week of getting my business.  Maybe the cows threatened him. Mad Cow.

Maybe it was because he thought you were a nauseating Ozzie Smartass, with a Chip on both Shoulders as per usual.

Edited by Acemaker

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"11 of the best places to get milkshakes in Bangkok"

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/best-milkshakes-bangkok

Google for more.

That article is from Nov. 2016, a lifetime in small retail food outlets here. I wonder if the two Siam Paragon places mentioned are even still there -- Pablo's and Once Upon a Milkshake.  I don't recall ever even seeing those places.

But another outlet that definitely does do milkshares is the Mr. Jones Orphanage deserts chain, with locations in CentralWorld and Siam Center, as best as I recall.

And, Clinton St. Bakery, the NY style pancakes place, in the basement of Siam Paragon also has an extensive milkshake menu.

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Swensen's has something resembling a milk shake, but it may not satisfy your yearning for the ones you remember.

On the positive side, no other franchise has cuter waitresses - Fact!

(IMHO)

Is it not so difficult to make your own? 

Why is it that so many posts on Thai Visa seem to denigrate women and treat them as sex objects.

Just perhaps what is going on in the West has not reached these shores? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Describing a woman as "cute" is not denigrating. 

Even in the West I believe it is still legal to say that someone is good looking.

Men find women attractive. Women find men attractive. It's natural.

Accusing me of treating women as sex objects (for describing them as "cute") might be offensive, if it wasn't so ridiculous.

No it’s not ridiculous.

Why do you have to comment on the sexual attractiveness of the woman who is just making a living in a retail outlet. 

Yes of course you can personally think that the young woman is cute- but to imply that others should visit to ogle the staff - and post that - not ridiculous 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

No it’s not ridiculous.

Why do you have to comment on the sexual attractiveness of the woman who is just making a living in a retail outlet. 

Yes of course you can personally think that the young woman is cute- but to imply that others should visit to ogle the staff - and post that - not ridiculous 

You introduced "sex", "sexual" and "ogling" to the conversation.

I just said "cute".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Swensen's has something resembling a milk shake, but it may not satisfy your yearning for the ones you remember.

On the positive side, no other franchise has cuter waitresses - Fact!

(IMHO)

I think they only hire cute ones. Worth going there just for the cute factor.

When I was young, we got milk shakes made with powder flavouring and I loved them, then all the places switched to liquid flavouring and I never liked that sort.

Probably easiest to make your own. I used to do that. Strawberry ice cream, strawberry cordial, milk and real strawberries with ice in a blender. Yum.

20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You introduced "sex", "sexual" and "ogling" to the conversation.

I just said "cute".

True. Some people inject "sex" into everything. Sad.

It's like when some posters assume that people only go to Pattaya for monging.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True. Some people inject "sex" into everything. Sad.

It's like when some posters assume that people only go to Pattaya for monging.

You just don’t get it. It’s not sad.

The fact that someone posts that you should visit this franchise because the women are attractive ( substitute for cute - what else does that mean???)

The women are there, earning a living- they do not want customers commenting on their appearance on a forum. Let’s go there- get a rise with your sundae. 

Its what is implicated. 

OP - get a blender for a few hundred baht , ice cream, fruit ( Chang Mai strawberries are reasonable - mango season !)  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I go to burger king. 3 flavors chocolate,strawberry,vanilla 3 sizes too.

A real milkshake has hand-scooped ice cream, not some whipped imitation. And you can never get the best, a chocolate malted milkshake.

Maybe it won't matter to some folks, but one thing you have to be careful about with anything sold here made with locally produced, commercial ice cream from Thailand is it's NOT actually made with fluid MILK or CREAM (which kind of takes the MILK out of MILK shake), but instead, a mixture of palm oil, sugars and whey. No fluid milk or cream to be found.

Here's two label examples:

5ad1e9d39789a_Ingredients1.jpg.e80db47f20f60f1c997d18f8f1500f7c.jpg

5ad1e9c933e3e_Ingredients2.thumb.jpg.2188b54cab22c7669c140ee68031cba3.jpg

As a result, I don't / won't buy most any locally produced retail Thai ice cream.

Of course, there are imported brands in the stores like Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's that are made with real milk/cream, but those fetch a dear price. And while HD may have a milk shake on their menu, I don't think anyone else is using those ice creams for milk shakes.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

A real milkshake has hand-scooped ice cream, not some whipped imitation. And you can never get the best, a chocolate malted milkshake.

Yes I am aware of that but have not been able to find a milk shake like that for years even in Canada. I think a real milk shake is a thing of the past. I grew up on milk shakes that were frothy,with ice cream lumps that would get stuck in the straw. 2 or 3 scoops of hard ice cream add milk ,and flavoring and place on machine.

Today they are made from ice milk at best. Some are quite scary actually. I have been told that if you let a McDonalds shake sit ib the sun all day when you go to get it the fluid will be warm  but have the same consistancy as it does when cold.Not sure if it is true or not but really do not want to find out in case it is true.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Maybe it won't matter to some folks, but one thing you have to be careful about with anything sold here made with locally produced, commercial ice cream from Thailand is it's NOT actually made with fluid MILK (which kind of takes the MILK out of MILK shake), but instead, a mixture of palm oil, sugars and whey. No fluid milk or cream to be found.

As a result, I don't / won't buy most any locally produced retail Thai ice cream.

Good post.

Always look at the ingredients.

I always wanted one of those ice cream makers with the built- in compressor ( so bought one 23000 baht - eek! ) 

So ultimate vanilla ice cream - cream, eggs , sugar , vanilla pods - it’s stunning .

OP - buy one - if you are so insane to buy such an expensive machine . 

As I am  originally one of those members of a small inconsequential island - a major retailer has banned palm oil from all of their products.

look it up - an ecological nightmare. 

Of course off topic - but a bit of a link to poisonous milk shakes ! 

• Like 1

I had A milkshake at A baskin Robbibs at Terminal 21 on Sukhumvit.It was terrible.There is one place that makes A delicious milkshake if you can find one."cold stone"ice cream shop.They aren't cheap but you will get A thick sweet delicious shake if you want vanilla.

Can't understand McDonalds.No pancakes for breakfast and no milkshakes.

That raises an interesting question. Several of the ice cream chains here have their origins in the U.S. -- Swensen's, Baskin Robbins, Cold Stone Creamery -- but I've never learned where exactly the ice creams they sell here in Thailand are being produced.

And because they don't sell their ice creams as retail products in the stores, AFAIK, there's never any detailed product ingredients listed on their menus or containers, which would say a lot about the origins of their products and what kind of ingredients they're using.

Those chains may well be using imported ice creams that don't contain as much junk as the local Thai products do, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any clear evidence of that.

As for Cold Stone, I found this interesting reference to milk shakes on their Wiki page:

Also offered are milkshakes and smoothies, among them the Cold Stone PB&C; its large size was designated by Men's Health Magazine as the most unhealthy drink in the USA for two consecutive years.[22][23] The drink has 2,010 calories, 131 grams of fat with 68 grams saturated fat, and 153 grams of sugar.[22]

Believe it or not, high fat (rich/premium) ice cream products can have even higher levels of saturated fat than the Thai local produced "ice creams" because the latter aren't actually using cream! They just don't have all the other non-ice cream ingredients.

18 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I always wanted one of those ice cream makers with the built- in compressor ( so bought one 23000 baht - eek! ) 

So ultimate vanilla ice cream - cream, eggs , sugar , vanilla pods - it’s stunning .

Before I moved to Thailand, I had a small ice cream maker that I'd purchased for home use that worked very well. It was years ago, but not very expensive as I recall, pretty much just an in-bowl freezer and mixing type device. And the ingredients list is pretty easy to get and prepare.

But, I haven't ever looked for such a thing here in Thailand, and undoubtedly, like most luxury type electric appliances, probably going to be either woefully overpriced or a cheap, low quality Chinese import.

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Tesco sells Baskin Robbins and Häagen-Dazs ice creams.

Re Baskin Robbins, actual packaged ice cream pints/quarts, or do you mean ice cream bars?

I don't think I've ever seen BR at Tesco, at least, the ones around me in BKK. And when I do a search now in Tesco online, I get nothing for B-R.

Yes, Haagen Dazs has a lot of retail store package presence, and their ice cream is not Thai produced.

53 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Maybe it won't matter to some folks, but one thing you have to be careful about with anything sold here made with locally produced, commercial ice cream from Thailand is it's NOT actually made with fluid MILK or CREAM (which kind of takes the MILK out of MILK shake), but instead, a mixture of palm oil, sugars and whey. No fluid milk or cream to be found.

Of course, there are imported brands in the stores like Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's that are made with real milk/cream, but those fetch a dear price. And while HD may have a milk shake on their menu, I don't think anyone else is using those ice creams for milk shakes.

Also,  the reason why some 'high-end' brands seem to taste better / more delicious is because they are loaded with additional egg powder. 

Edited by scorecard

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Also,  the reason why some 'high-end' brands seem to taste better / more delicious is because they are loaded with additional egg powder.

In contrast, here's what an ingredients list from HD looks like, with cream and milk as the top two ingredients. Some egg yolk in there as well, unlike the Thai versions:

No palm oil, glucose syrup, maltodextrin, etc.

5ad1f7fdee4f3_HaagenDazsBlackcurrentIngredients2.jpg.3e7cbebd7b1ce99558b6dbbae2b2c768.jpg

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

You just don’t get it. It’s not sad.

The fact that someone posts that you should visit this franchise because the women are attractive ( substitute for cute - what else does that mean???)

The women are there, earning a living- they do not want customers commenting on their appearance on a forum. Let’s go there- get a rise with your sundae. 

Its what is implicated. 

OP - get a blender for a few hundred baht , ice cream, fruit ( Chang Mai strawberries are reasonable - mango season !)  

All that second hand offense must be a drag at the end of the day. Meanwhile the girls at Swensons would be stoked to hear they are considered the cutest. That is because they have not yet been convinced that they are victims. I am sure you and your ilk will soon be importing that concept here. 

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2