Phuket vs. nearby island or beaches

sspacer

I am going to spend 5 days in Phuket in June and I would like to do some snorkeling.  I have never been to this area.   Can you recommend any beaches there?

I was wondering if it would be better to take the ferry to another beach or island.  I found this website with the schedule:

https://www.phuketferry.com/ferry-schedule.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JDIxu6i2gIVWiUrCh0qUA04EAAYASABEgJ2nPD_BwE

I do not want to pay over $35 a night for a single.

Edited by sspacer

5 days doesn't leave much time for trips out to stay on the islands, maybe a day trip that includes snorkelling. There are tour shops everywhere in Phuket with lots of options for snorkelling trips (local beaches or out to islands), pick up at hotel, transport, lunch, snorkelling, drop back to hotel.

Edited by Peterw42

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

5 days doesn't leave much time for trips out to stay on the islands, maybe a day trip that includes snorkelling. There are tour shops everywhere in Phuket with lots of options for snorkelling trips (local beaches or out to islands), pick up at hotel, transport, lunch, snorkelling, drop back to hotel.

Probably all cost more than 35 bucks which would probably blow his budget..

Coastal snorkelling means essentially sticking to the west coast, with probably the beach area nearest to Kata being the most accessible.  Of course that means staying in the Kata area, which generally commands a premium for room rates and your budget could become a factor.   Staying on any of the nearby islands, say Koh Yao Yai/Koh Yao Noi offer better swimming, but their room rates and associated costs (food/drink) are proportionately higher.

A factor also is that we are about to enter into the South Western monsoon period (April-ish to October) where the prevailing wind/tides are from the south west, and there is a significant increase in risk through current changes and rip tides, particularly for those inexperienced to local conditions in the western resort areas.

Probably the most interesting snorkelling near to Phuket is 'Coral Island', albeit, it's also a haven for Chinese day trippers, though in June this might be slightly less.   Quite clear water, and a lot of sea life.   Best of all is Mai Thon island, though this would need a private charter and the cost could be quite prohibitive unless in a reasonable group.

You're in low season so can pick up decent guesthouse rooms for 500 to 600 baht per night.

I believe that Ao Sane Beach isn't too bad during the low season, not sure about Yanui. These are probably the two beaches on-island best for snorkelling.

PS if you do want to book a ferry to the islands agencies in the resorts don't book online, use a tour agency. 

Don't go in when the sea is rough, in addition that you can not see much in murky waters it could be dangerous in that time of the year. I have been to Nai Harn in June/July when the waves were really high, and near the rocks it can be serious problem .... ! 

• Like 1

A factor also is that we are about to enter into the South Western monsoon period (April-ish to October) where the prevailing wind/tides are from the south west, and there is a significant increase in risk through current changes and rip tides, particularly for those inexperienced to local conditions in the western resort areas.

Probably the most interesting snorkelling near to Phuket is 'Coral Island', albeit, it's also a haven for Chinese day trippers, though in June this might be slightly less.   Quite clear water, and a lot of sea life.   Best of all is Mai Thon island, though this would need a private charter and the cost could be quite prohibitive unless in a reasonable group.

I concur. Koh He or Coral island is very well protected from the SW winds and it’s two main beaches are pretty good for snorkeling. Even when it’s windy around the corner, a short boat trip from Chalong is not too bad. A longtail boat is around 500 Baht. It’s better to arrive there before 10 am when the Boatloads of Chinese arrive.

14 hours ago, Gene1960 said:

I concur. Koh He or Coral island is very well protected from the SW winds and it’s two main beaches are pretty good for snorkeling. Even when it’s windy around the corner, a short boat trip from Chalong is not too bad. A longtail boat is around 500 Baht. It’s better to arrive there before 10 am when the Boatloads of Chinese arrive.

True, I go there in the off season, but 500 Baht? I guess if you get a shared boat. I guess I usually go with a group of friends and it's about 1,500 Baht for the boat for the day. And I get the local family discount. Three of my neighbors are long tail boat guys here in Rawai. Not too bad when we take 5 or 6 people...

True, I go there in the off season, but 500 Baht? I guess if you get a shared boat. I guess I usually go with a group of friends and it's about 1,500 Baht for the boat for the day. And I get the local family discount. Three of my neighbors are long tail boat guys here in Rawai. Not too bad when we take 5 or 6 people...

Yes. It was a Rawai longtail, 500 baht per person two way. They picked us up at the new pier in Chalong and took us back in the afternoon. Four people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes.  you are right.  there is no use going there if the waves are big.  I will google Koh He and Coral island and see what I find

Koh Hey is the English alliteration of the Thai name. Koh means island and hey means coral, so it is the same place. There are a couple of beaches with food service, drinks and chairs available. But not much fun in a longtail if there is a swell and wind!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, sspacer said:

Is Chalong the best place to catch a boat to Koh Hey?

It's really all about where you are staying.   The absolute closest to Coral Island would be Cape Panwa (near the Aquarium), though unless staying close by would be obviously a longer road journey.   Chalong Pier is typically for the further island boats, with not so many of the more economical long tails.   Rawai has the most long tails for sure.   I would also advise that you check the weather for the day(s) you would plan to go.   A good forecast is here (WindGuru - Chalong Bay) and you should be looking for wave height/wind speed - the less is best):    https://www.windguru.cz/208470 (note, obviously more accurate the closer you are to the intended trip - i.e. 48 hours or less).

1 hour ago, sspacer said:

Is Chalong the best place to catch a boat to Koh Hey?

I usually get them at the beach in Rawai, but that's where I live and I ask one of the three brothers here I know, who wants the job, in the order I like them! The youngest brother always wonders why I don't hire him! LOL! But it may be better for single passengers to get a shared boat in Chalong. I don't really know as I've never done it.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Koh He is still inside the bay, so nearly always quite calm.

Closest by would be Rawai.

That's a bit amusing that you a couple of others have said Koh He. You know what He in Thai means? LOL! Another maybe better transliteration would be Koh Hae.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

That's a bit amusing that you a couple of others have said Koh He. You know what He in Thai means? LOL! Another maybe better transliteration would be Koh Hae.

Correcting English spelling of Thai words doesn't make sense.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Correcting English spelling of Thai words doesn't make sense.

It's as I said an alliteration. HE means pussy, so I guess you're going to pussy island LOL! Hae or hey is a lot closer to coral! Carry on...

34 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

It's as I said an alliteration. HE means pussy, so I guess you're going to pussy island LOL! Hae or hey is a lot closer to coral! Carry on...

As I said, correcting English spelling of Thai words makes no sense.

• Confused 1

I was wondering about the cost.  I will be going in June.  What would I pay taking a long tail at Rawai compared to sharing a boat at Chalong?  What would the cost be at Panwa?

Edited by sspacer

Islands like Koh Hey might work, but Phuket beaches in June will be unplayable for the reasons given: monsoon/rip tides/murky water. Rather concentrate on detailed research on specific recommended island locations, and then narrow the choice down to avoid disappointment.

Because of all the people on Phuket I really doubt there is much there in the way of clean beaches for good snorkeling. The islands folk have suggested might be your best bet, and being it is low season check out Airbnb for good rates. One thing guaranteed the sea will be nice and bathtub warm. Enjoy.

11 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Phi Phi island not far from Phuket is nice and relatively quiet. They

some less expensive places lowest priced no air but really inexpensive 

Phi phi quiet?