Total sex education key to tackle teen pregnancy, lay foundation for love

rooster59

Total sex education key to tackle teen pregnancy, lay foundation for love

By THE NATION

86065b3ff491f712f6aedbf0b2350645.jpeg

COMPREHENSIVE sexuality education, already required by law in Thailand, was touted at a recent forum in Bangkok as key to ensuring a solid foundation for life and love.

The forum addressed child marriage, early unions and teen pregnancy in Southeast Asia. 

At the forum were representatives from 10 countries, including Thailand, and international organisations such as the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (Unicef) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).

“A striking number of young girls become pregnant without having planned to – or without having had conฌtrol of their pregnancy,” Wivina Belmonte, Unicef deputy regional director, East Asia and the Pacific, told the forum. 

“When an adolescent girl becomes pregnant, her life changes forever. 

“Her schooling often gets disrupted, or ends altogether and her prospects of a job dim. The health hazards due to complications from pregnancy and childbirth are huge, and often fatal,” said Belmonte. 

Maki Hayashikawa, director at Unesco Bangkok, said it is essential that comprehensive sexuality education that goes well beyond the basic facts of biological reproducฌtion starts at an early age for girls and boys. They need to learn about sexuality both in and out of school in order to ensure that young people were equipped with a solid foundation for life and love. 

According to her, global evidence clearly showed that providing comprehensive sexuality education (CSE) does not increase sexual activity, but rather empowers young people to take charge of their own lives with healthier and happier outcomes. “Abstinence-only approaches are not effective in delaying sexual initiation, reducing frequency of sex or reducing the number of sexual partners,” she 

explained. Comprehensive sexuality education “is the core to addressing early unions and teen pregnancy”. 

Forum participants suggested age-appropriate CSE should commence in early primary school (at age 5), proฌviding skills in communication, decision-making, negotiaฌtion, gender equality and respect.

In Thailand, the Prevention and Solution of Adolescent Pregnancy Problem Act was launched in 2016 to address the country’s fast-rising teen pregnancy rate through the involvement of multiple ministries and civil-society partฌners. 

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry shared the opportuฌnities created by the Act, especially through enshrining the rights of young people to sexual and reproductive health information and services. Young people themselves were consulted in drafting and implementing the legislation, setting a strong example for other countries in the region and globally.

While adolescent birth rates have declined globally, they have remained generally stagnant or even increased in Southeast Asia, with wide-ranging variations between countries. The average adolescent birth rate in the region is 47 births per 1,000 females aged 15 to 19, higher than the average of 35 in South Asia and close to the global average of 50.

The highest adolescent birth rates at the country level are seen in Lao (94), Cambodia (57), Thailand (50), Indonesia (48) and Philippines (47). 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30343189

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-15

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"COMPREHENSIVE sexuality education, already required by law in Thailand"

Ignoring the fact I'd think that should be 'sex', rather than 'sexuality', I'm surprised that this is legally required.

I have asked my son about this before, he told me there is no sex education in his school at all. The issue seems to be avoided at all costs.

There again who is going to enforce the law - the police? Not unless they can make some money out of doing so.

edit:

Thinking about it, perhaps it wasn't a grammatical error, using the word 'sexuality'.

Being Thailand perhaps their idea is to teach them how to choose what sex they would like to be - selecting one of the LGBT options. That's a subject which can be more openly discussed, while ignoring the more important issue.

As for the previous post about priests not having sex - catholic priests seem to have the reputation of the ones having the most illicit sex with their parishioners.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son's sex class were seperated into girls/boys. 

The girls learned about female reproduction organs , the boys, male reproduction organs. 

The girls learned being a lesbian is "ok" and could not get pregnant. The boys learn man love boy is quite normal. Nobody taught them the legal age , the right of consent , the right to say no, how to not put themselves in risky situations. How to be respectful.

By the end of the term module on reproductive organs, my son didn't even know what a condom is. Thought aids was a mother to child disease, had no knowledge of vd, herpes, stds. And an in depth knowledge of what it means to be gay. All taught by his unbiased gay teacher. 

The girls had a Tom to teach them. 

That is the Thai solution to prevent teenage pregnancy. 

Unfortunately, the consequences  of that is adults dont have babies causing the population to plummet. As is happening in Thailand. 

• Sad 1

My wifes daughter received no sex education at all. I finally interceded and explained what I thought was needed. Most obvious to me was that teaching the use of condoms against STD's was easy for a kid to understand. With AIDS still being so prevalent its criminal to ignore this problem, serious sickness and death being the result. The fact that it then stops unwanted pregnancy is an added bonus. Surely even the biggest prude of a teacher can see the benefits and manage this much?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

My wifes daughter received no sex education at all. I finally interceded and explained what I thought was needed. Most obvious to me was that teaching the use of condoms against STD's was easy for a kid to understand. With AIDS still being so prevalent its criminal to ignore this problem, serious sickness and death being the result. The fact that it then stops unwanted pregnancy is an added bonus. Surely even the biggest prude of a teacher can see the benefits and manage this much?

I'd love to agree with you Lungstib, saying that the teachers can see the benefits, but as we know it's the unwillingness to talk openly about sex, especially to a class full of kids that I see as the main stumbling block.

I have no idea if the teachers are told they must teach the subject, but perhaps ignore it and are not checked up on?

As you say, it's criminal to ignore it.

• Like 1

“When an adolescent girl becomes pregnant, her life changes forever... 

Her schooling often gets disrupted..."

Obviously, her "schooling" wasn't  all that adequate, since it didn't address important life issues. 

AND, once again, the guy who gets her pregnant doesn't get a mention. As though he has no responsibility in the matter. Perhaps it is time to make him financially responsible for the upbringing of the child. If necessary, sentence him to work at a public job, with 50 percent of his salary going for support.

Only kidding folks...TIT... where no male is responsible for the outcomes of any of his actions. From the top, all the way down to the lower rungs of society. 

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

The taboo subject of the birds and bees.... Waste of time given the average Thai males bravado and reluctance to conform to any guidelines. Somchai knows everything and doesn't need anybody telling him what to do. Unfortunately the girl won't insist on the condom as she doesn't want to upset Somchai.... 

A lot of bar girls are only in the industry cos they're single mothers. Paying for a kid to be looked after and educated on wages you might get from a 7-11 probably isn't that easy. And, if you drop out from school, even a 7-11 might be out of your league. I suspect lots of employers require that you've completed a certain basic level of education. 

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Just get rid of all religion,  would be the real answer to a happy world. :jap:

There are many who need some form of religion in their life.

Problems come when leaders arise who seek personal gain or power.

It is said the relation with your god should always be a personal relation.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Abstinence-only approaches

Perhaps condom companies should step up and offer advice.  The point is to keep the young from having  children, not to stop them from having safe sex.    Safe sex should encompass finishing school, as well as, avoiding STD's. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Unfortunately, sex education is usually funded by people who are God-botherers of some kind and/or are influenced strongly by people who don't have sex; Popes, priests and monks come to mind.

I'm not likely to meet the Pope, but If I dropped something in-front of a priest or a monk, I certainly wouldn't bend-down to pick it up!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The full prosecution of deadbeat dads and enforcement of financial responsibility would be a good start. As would another condom campaign.
While I'd like to agree, I can't but help slipping into cynical mode:
And then I woke up. I see you can't translate "financial responsibility" into Thai.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG sides are splitting... Thailand and love in the same line!! I don't know any Thai that has interest in love in Thailand.. Not for another human anyway. Oh OK .. Romantic notions I suppose. But real love ... Never. Just a good act as copied from Thai soaps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

bar girls are the most educated Thais.

They could teach sex education at university level.

They speak English better than 95% of the population.

Understand economics,  long term investment, supply and demand and customer satisfaction.

They could also teach them how to prevent diseases, explain that also ladyboys can make babies and perhaps the correct use of condoms, medicines like the birth control pill etc..

52 minutes ago, The manic said:
1 hour ago, car720 said:

Nah!!

That would affect Thailand's newest export.  Super Gonorrhea. :cheesy:

Import I believe...from Japan. According to the Lancet

Does that mean the Customs Department will have charged import duty on each reported case?

The way it's likely to spread could mean Super Gonorrhoea could be a Super Earner for the government.

• Haha 1