Where to get help for depression

taiwanatoa

These days Thailand features Private Hospitals that can be categorised as "world class".
Unfortunately, there are 2 sectors that can not be called "world class". = Psychiatry and Chiropractic matters.

- Your limited in-patient insurance may not even cover "mental-issues". And: You may need longer-term-treatement. Cheaper Governement Hospitals are no alternative, as they usually have NO staff, trained for "mental-issues".

- Any chance to take "a break" from Thailand and get low cost or free treatement in your home country? Returning when you feel better?

By remaining here, I am afraid your vulnerabiliy will show and Thai as well as Farang vultures will start to circle over your head, pretending to have your best interests at heart.
The "Land of Smiles" provides plenty of friends. As long as you don't need them.

At any rate: Your way back home to get proper treatement is shorter than the way to Jomtien Beach looking at high-rise buildings. You know what I mean.
Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

He said he is depressed not suicidal.

Depression can be managed, the OP just needs to find the right treatment.

Which, as swissie points out, the OP is highly unlikely to find in Thailand.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, swissie said:

These days Thailand features Private Hospitals that can be categorised as "world class".
Unfortunately, there are 2 sectors that can not be called "world class". = Psychiatry and Chiropractic matters.

I recall that the recent school shootings in the US and acts of violence in the UK have focused attention on the US, UK and pretty much every other 'civilised' nation's lack of funding for the diagnosis and care of people with mental conditions.

Thanks for the bash though.

PS: Chiropractic matters.... you mean that bogus manipulation of bone alignment as a way to true health and happiness rubbish?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I recall that the recent school shootings in the US and acts of violence in the UK have focused attention on the US, UK and pretty much every other 'civilised' nation's lack of funding for the diagnosis and care of people with mental conditions.

Thanks for the bash though.

PS: Chiropractic matters.... you mean that bogus manipulation of bone alignment as a way to true health and happiness rubbish?

no, that can make all the difference, i have an old injury that causes my ribs to get dislocated, it is highly painful, like the rib case is being squeezed until you cant breath either way, or do anything else.

either a chiropractor can push them back into the fold,

or place something between chest and floor, and have a 45kg thai girl walk the back until they snap back in place

Edited by poanoi

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

no, that can make all the difference, i have an old injury that causes my ribs to get dislocated, it is highly painful, like the rib case is being squeezed until you cant breath either way, or do anything else.

either a chiropractor can push them back into the fold,

or place something between chest and floor, and have a 45kg thai girl walk the back until they snap back in place

Either, or... as I said, it's all a bit non-professional.

• Like 1

The best approach to depression is counseling, with or without medication - if the depression is major then usually medication will also be needed at least for a while, but it is not a good idea to rely on medication alone.

With depression the best treatment is therapy (such as cognitive behavioral therapy, i.e. short term counseling, not years and years of psychotherapy). Medication may also be needed, at least for a while, if the depression is severe but it is not a good idea to treat with medication alone, which is what will happen if you consult a psychiatrist.

The best first step is to find a good psychologist and start counseling. S/he will refer you to a psychiatrist for medication if it seems advisable, all counselors have psychiatrists they refer to. You will be more likely to get the right prescription using this approach as opposed to going straight to a psychiatrist - depression is sometimes mixed with anxiety, for example, which alters what medications are most advisable. And anti-depressents take time to work , and sometimes it is necessary to experiment a biot before the best drug is mind. It is important to have a counselor helping you through that stage and helping yo ukeep things in perspective. It has been known to happen that people with depression start medication and then, when it does nto quickly make them feel better despair completely and even take their lives - one's sense of proportion and of time is skewed in severe depression.

There are a number of western therapists in Thailand, mostly in Bangkok. Please see this thread.

If he has time available I would suggest first trying Dr. Ben Weinstein at PSI. http://www.benweinstein.com/contact.htm

He is not available, or if you see him and it soesn't "click" (the individual chemistry between patient and therapist is important) then try one of the others.

People vary but with counseling and, often, medication, most will feel noticeably better within say 3-6 months.  Even before that,  as soon as  you have started therapy with a counselor you feel supported and understood by, you will already feel more hopeful as you will no longer be struggling with this alone.

You may get a lot of well meaning but useless advice from people who have never suffered clinical depression, there has already been some on this thread and no doubt will be more. Kindly overlook it. Because the word "depression" is also used to describe mood states that everyone experiences from time to time, people sometimes do not understand that clinical depression is an altogether different thing, a real disease which people cannot simply snap out of through positive thinking, exercise and the like.

• Like 2

Have suffered clinical depression for 18+ years, may be a lot more. Been committed to hospital twice and never once had counselling other than a monthly 30 minute outpatient appointment with my psychiatrist. Once the meds kick in you'll be okay. Just a case of finding what works for you. Good luck.

Just before I go. What I was told in the beginning was that there is a reason/trigger for your depression. Find that out and you're half way there to recovery. Keep a diary as to your day and how you feel and why. If you get spells where you cannot make up your mind on things then write down all the pro's & con's and go with the one that has the most answers. Good luck.

The best approach to depression is counseling, with or without medication - if the depression is major then usually medication will also be needed at least for a while, but it is not a good idea to rely on medication alone.

With depression the best treatment is therapy (such as cognitive behavioral therapy, i.e. short term counseling, not years and years of psychotherapy). Medication may also be needed, at least for a while, if the depression is severe but it is not a good idea to treat with medication alone, which is what will happen if you consult a psychiatrist.

The best first step is to find a good psychologist and start counseling. S/he will refer you to a psychiatrist for medication if it seems advisable, all counselors have psychiatrists they refer to. You will be more likely to get the right prescription using this approach as opposed to going straight to a psychiatrist - depression is sometimes mixed with anxiety, for example, which alters what medications are most advisable. And anti-depressents take time to work , and sometimes it is necessary to experiment a biot before the best drug is mind. It is important to have a counselor helping you through that stage and helping yo ukeep things in perspective. It has been known to happen that people with depression start medication and then, when it does nto quickly make them feel better despair completely and even take their lives - one's sense of proportion and of time is skewed in severe depression.

There are a number of western therapists in Thailand, mostly in Bangkok. Please see this thread.
[/url] If he has time available I would suggest first trying Dr. Ben Weinstein at PSI. http://www.benweinstein.com/contact.htm

He is not available, or if you see him and it soesn't "click" (the individual chemistry between patient and therapist is important) then try one of the others.

People vary but with counseling and, often, medication, most will feel noticeably better within say 3-6 months.  Even before that,  as soon as  you have started therapy with a counselor you feel supported and understood by, you will already feel more hopeful as you will no longer be struggling with this alone.

You may get a lot of well meaning but useless advice from people who have never suffered clinical depression, there has already been some on this thread and no doubt will be more. Kindly overlook it. Because the word "depression" is also used to describe mood states that everyone experiences from time to time, people sometimes do not understand that clinical depression is an altogether different thing, a real disease which people cannot simply snap out of through positive thinking, exercise and the like.

I understand what you are saying because I have heard/ read it for years.
But my main concern first is monetary cost. I tried a medication for a while about 8 years ago ( I can't remember which) and it made me feel worse

How long was for a while? Depression works along in cycles. You have good days, you have bad. You have to keep taking the medicine until the good days out number the bad days and then start to withdraw from the medication. Just because you feel better doesn't mean you should stop seeing your Psychiatrist. At a government psychiatric hospital it only costs 50 Baht to see a doctor and a couple of 100 Baht for 2 months supply of medication. Surely that's not going to hit you financially? Stop making excuses, typical of depression, and go see a doctor.

• Like 1

Have suffered clinical depression for 18+ years, may be a lot more. Been committed to hospital twice and never once had counselling other than a monthly 30 minute outpatient appointment with my psychiatrist. Once the meds kick in you'll be okay. Just a case of finding what works for you. Good luck.
Just before I go. What I was told in the beginning was that there is a reason/trigger for your depression. Find that out and you're half way there to recovery. Keep a diary as to your day and how you feel and why. If you get spells where you cannot make up your mind on things then write down all the pro's & con's and go with the one that has the most answers. Good luck.

The thing that is really debilitating and makes me completely unable to function normally is that I can sleep for only a couple of hours and then wake up and can't sleep again for 2,3 or 4 hours and I always feel completely drained of energy.

10 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

The thing that is really debilitating and makes me completely unable to function normally is that I can sleep for only a couple of hours and then wake up and can't sleep again for 2,3 or 4 hours and I always feel completely drained of energy.

Hi.  Sorry to hear about your depression.

I suffer from depression and anxiety attacks so can understand where you are coming from.  There are actually no identifiable causes for me.. I have come to the conclusion that it's some kind of chemical imbalance in my body.  It is frustrating when I am depressed for no reason, or a panic attack come out of nowhere for no reason.   It was so bad sometimes that I have attempted suicide and been hospitalised twice in my life.

Luckily my depression is not all the time.  It will suddenly come and go.  Sometimes no problems for over a year, then a few months of it.  It was worse when I was younger.  Now I am over 40 and have learnt to manage it myself.  I now only have a few weeks a year when it affects me.  

The very best thing I have found for help me is to get out and exercise in the countryside.  I cycle a lot which really helps.  Of course, when depression sets in that is the last thing we want to do.  I have to fight the urge not to shut myself away in the house and stop all contact with other human beings.  Its about getting over that 'pain barrier' and once I get over it I start feeling better quickly.

OP.  I recommend you force yourself to get out every day for a few hours in the sunshine... cycling or just walking / jogging.  Also eat healthy foods and reduce or stop alcohol.

Don't worry about your sleep patterns.  Just make sure you never nap in the daytime or go to bed without feeling tired.  You will sleep better after exercise.  If you stay inactive for long periods you body won't feel tired.  If you wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep... get up, do some jobs around the house.. don't go back to be until the next night.. by which time you will be more tired.  

My depression actually makes me sleep more... I hardly eat and then sleep most of the time just like I am hibernating.. but its bad because I loose so much weight and also my mental healthy really gets bad.

These are just my personal opinions.  Seeing someone about the depression did nothing for me.  Some people actually made me worse. Also the medications were not agreeable with me.. and again only plastered over the problem and make it worse in the long run.  

If you want any other advise you can PM me.  

Good luck to you.  

21 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

My doctor knew this automatically and issued me Lorazepam 2mg without asking but I only took half a tab once my depression seemed to be under control. Depends on my day as to whether I take it prior to bed or not. Some on here say 'give up alcohol' but if you're partial to a couple of beers a night and you're on antidepressants then it's okay. Just don't take Lorazepam as well. 

Taiwanatoa, where do you live?  This information could help Sheryl and others to provide more specific advise about hospitals, doctors and/or therapists who could help.  

And just because you tried one medication a while back and it didn't work, doesn't mean that no medication will help you.  There are many different types of medications used to treat depression and many are quite inexpensive here, especially when purchased at a government hospital.  

Research has also shown that people with parents or siblings who have

depression are up to three times more likely to have the condition.

I have genetic depression and have to accept that it is someting only I can fix for myself.

I had great results in alleviating it by taking on Yoga and Meditation (never thought I'd see myself at either of these institutions).

It's cheap to try it out as there are many of these classes around thailand along with meeting many people who are there for the same reason which I find better than counselling as each has a seperate type of depression which when talking to some people makes you thankful that your own depression is minimal compared to some.

Give it a go as I'm sure it will help you and good luck in finding relief.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edwarda909 said:

Bangkok Hospital has English-speaking well-trained psychiatrists.

Psychiatrists are taught to give drugs. I'd go for a psychologist, CBT and try to avoid drugs.

I know many with alcoholics that were diagnosed with clinical depression and they kicked their drugs. But they had a support group.

I thought I was depressed once and made a wellness plan with physical, spiritual, mental goals. It worked.

PSI is good but expensive.

• Like 1

Many intelligent suggestions here on where to go for treatment.....

My humble contribution will be where not to go....definately not to a place full of  girls on bar stools....definately not in a place with chicks smeering soap on your body.....and definately not back to your place with a hot long haired busty therapist for private long term nightcap treatment !!!

Hope you find good treatment and get back on your feet soon.

I just found a good, informative link to a course by a Stanford university professor "Psychomotor retardation - everything is exhausting to do, to think, to move. Getting going is unbelievably hard. At a chemical level this likely has a lot to do with insufficient dopamine. Dopamine isn't so much the reward chemical as it is the chemical that motivates you to take an action that will lead to a reward. Doubt that the reward will happen and you get no dopamine." https://www.robertsapolskyrocks.com/depression.html

It is the nature of depression to take a negative view of all suggestions and focus on reasons why you can't follow them.

This condition is destroying the quality of your life. Find a way and do not listen to the depressed voice in your head.

The costs of therapy are per session, and even 1 session a month will be far better than none, so adjust the schedule to your ability to pay. Unless you are truly living in poverty  (as in, nothing left after paying the rent and buying cheapest food possible) this is possible. If you are that poor, you've got more problems than how to pay for treatment of your depression, and should be considering a  return to your home country.

As for the "I tried medicine once and it made me feel worse" that too is your disease talking. There are many different medications. It takes time for the body and mind to adjust to them and often takes some trial and error with different drugs to find the best one. It will be useful if you know the name of the one you tried before so as to avoid it.

This is the catch 22 of depression and many other mental health problems. The disease itself makes people unwilling to do what they need to to get get better.

You need to pull a small, rational part of your mind out from how you feel and put it in charge. Let it, not how you feel, decide what to do. When negativity arises just say to yourself: "this is my depression talking....ignore it" and carry on.

" takes some trial and error with different drugs to find the best one. " Yes, I have known about these things for years. But after watching this lecture on the OpenCulture website I know that the part about psychomotor retardation hits the nail on the head with me. I am psychologically and intellectually capable of learning about and addressing what I need to do without having to go through trying various medications and trying to communicate with someone who knows nothing about me.