People using "Ha Ha" as hate-likes -- scandalous or ridiculous?

Jingthing

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not necessarily. That's my take on the post, the poster can interpret it any way they like. If you want to dredge up a disagreement we had on another topic, I don't see why I can't return serve when warranted. Here's a thought - put me on your ignore list, I won't mind at all.

Nice edit. lol

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I do not have any stalkers, but there is one person who hates me.

Oderint dum metuant.

Let them hate, so long as they fear.

From Atreus, quoted in Seneca, Dialogues, Books III–V "De Ira", I, 20, 4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Oderint dum metuant.

Let them hate, so long as they fear.

From Atreus, quoted in Seneca, Dialogues, Books III–V "De Ira", I, 20, 4.

Proprium humanum ingenii est odisse quem laeseris.

It's human nature to hate those you have injured.

Tacitus, Agricola, Chapter 42.

On 18/04/2018 at 1:03 PM, Jingthing said:

If a post is more sincere and serious, a "Ha Ha" shows derision.

I brought this up a few times in the recent past, but both of my posts were removed as flaming, because a certain poster would give the OP in 2 of my threads which concerned technical issues a " haha".

Both threads concerned the same poster, who considers himself obviously superior to the majority of TV members.

So I agree, in such a case " ha ha " clearly shows Schadenfreude.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

I brought this up a few times in the recent past, but both of my posts were removed as flaming, because a certain poster would give the OP in 2 of my threads which concerned technical issues a " haha".

Both threads concerned the same poster, who considers himself obviously superior to the majority of TV members.

So I agree, in such a case " ha ha " clearly shows Schadenfreude.

Come again? :stoner:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for translating my post. 

Well probably it went over your head that I agreed with your OP, and that in the recent past I had called out a member who clearly showed schadenfreude by giving me " hah ha " on 3 posts in 2 threads where I asked for advice concerning technical issues.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schadenfreude

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

See, you got it...

No I don't, and even if I have, I'm not sure it's the same as what the mods have in their hands.

Anyway, it will probably wash off.

I'll just wear gloves until then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

No I don't, and even if I have, I'm not sure it's the same as what the mods have in their hands.

Anyway, it will probably wash off.

I'll just wear gloves until then

You can deny it all you want, but you've just proven once again that you got it.

Well probably it went over your head that I agreed with your OP, and that in the recent past I had called out a member who clearly showed schadenfreude by giving me " hah ha " on 3 posts in 2 threads where I asked for advice concerning technical issues.

Obviously I already know what schadenfreude is. I found your overall post on the cryptic side.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

That's not a very helpful definition; in fact, I think it's positively misleading.

'Schadenfreude,' when used in English, is not similar to sadism; schadenfreude is pleasure in the misfortune or suffering others that one has not directly caused; for example, when one's acquaintance's new bike that he has been showing off is stolen by a third party.

In the definition, 'one' is normally taken as the subject (i.e. one's misfortune is one's own misfortune) whereas schadenfreude is pleasure in the misfortune of others.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Don't be shy, you can say it, we're all friends here.

• 2 weeks later...

An example of schadenfreude today. Fill up with gasoline, 1000 baht. A free bottle of water. The attendant pulls a bottle from the stack, whereupon the whole stack of bottles collapses all over the driveway. I did have to smile.