Opinion: The day my best friend drowned on a Phuket day tour

webfact

Opinion: The day my best friend drowned on a Phuket day tour

The Phuket News

1524715591_1-org.jpg

All that remains of Mr Patel's best friend Shahzad Warsani is his death certificate, after he drowned while on a snorkelling tour booked in Phuket.

A tourist to Phuket implores the Royal Thai Government to take steps to improve marine safety after he is forced to watch his best friend die from drowning while on a popular speedboat day-trip tour to the islands of Phang Nga Bay.

I am writing in regards to my concerns related to safety and emergency situations in Thai tourist regions.

I, Danish Pyarali Patel, and my best friend Shahzad Sultan Ali Warsani visited Thailand in March for a holiday in Phuket. On March 24 we went on a day trip. We booked a very popular one-day trip to see Phi Phi Island and Khai Nai Island by speedboat. We booked that with one of many local tour companies in Phuket.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-the-day-my-best-friend-drowned-on-a-phuket-day-tour-66902.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-04-26
  • Like 1

Before commenting, I recommend reading the whole article. 

Mr Patel offers some realistic and practical suggestions how to improve the safety in this area.

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am not blaming ALL Thais but with a business comes responsibility and if you don't take the responsibility, only the money, then you shouldn't be in business.

So what are you suggesting? All those wanting to go on these tours sign to state they are competent swimmers with those refusing to sign being denied the trip? Or ..... ??

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

Before commenting, I recommend reading the whole article. 

Mr Patel offers some realistic and practical suggestions how to improve the safety in this area.

Read the full article, and agree, he does come with some good suggestions.

He makes one major mistake though in his reasoning. His best friend did not die because nobody was watching him, his best friend died because he went snorkeling without knowing how to swim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Don't these tours require snorkelers to wear life jackets?  

They might but that does not prevent someone(a non or poor swimmer) inhaling water from a snorkel they don't know how to use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimman said:

They might but that does not prevent someone(a non or poor swimmer) inhaling water from a snorkel they don't know how to use

Correct.  But that's quite a bit different than posters here jumping to the conclusion he can't swim and drowned due to not being able to swim. If I were to read between the lines, this poor fellow did inhale water as the opinion letter mentions the water got quite choppy.  Nothing about the guy sinking below the surface was mentioned.

26 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Correct.  But that's quite a bit different than posters here jumping to the conclusion he can't swim and drowned due to not being able to swim. If I were to read between the lines, this poor fellow did inhale water as the opinion letter mentions the water got quite choppy.  Nothing about the guy sinking below the surface was mentioned.

You're confused, nobody said he sunk. If people know how to swim they will have a reasonable amount of confidence in the water, and can easily overcome a bit of swell.

If someone doesn't know how to swim a bit of water inhalation can lead to panic and more water inhalation.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

If the water is deep  (can’t stand with head above water) life jackets should be mandatory. The tour operator should explain how to use mask and snorkel and they should have someone watching those with little or no experience. 

• Like 1

1st world struggles with keeping everybody safe and often take off leaving the odd snorkeler behind to drown

Snap out of it guys. This is a third world country ! never ever expect anyone to save you . Know your limitations before engaging in high risk activity and yes that includes snorkeling if you cant swim

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am not blaming ALL Thais but with a business comes responsibility and if you don't take the responsibility, only the money, then you shouldn't be in business.

Oh please.

Businesses all around the world will take money off you at the drop of a hat as has been the case since the merchants if Venice. 

Right now in oz, ( a highly regulated economy with a myriad of safeguards ) there is a royal commission into the banking and finance sectors.

Dead people's estates getting charged for advice. Crooks being hired to sell finance advice on behalf of banks.  Shares of the banks are dropping like stones, ceo's getting fired. 

The gfc, not that long ago demonstrated clearly that businesses dont give a fig who they rip off and then go for hand outs to bail them out. 

In a battle between profit and ethics guess who wins every time?.

To imply only thai businesses do it is preposterous. 

A tragic event has occurred. Lets not make it another excuse to have a go at another facet of the thai community

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

You're confused, nobody said he sunk. If people know how to swim they will have a reasonable amount of confidence in the water, and can easily overcome a bit of swell.

If someone doesn't know how to swim a bit of water inhalation can lead to panic and more water inhalation.

Not confused in the slightest.  Fact of the matter is, many posters said he can't swim ( not knowing if he could or couldn't) and implying he sunk.  OP implying he took in too much water as he clearly states the water was rough.  

19 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Fact of the matter is, many posters said he can't swim ( not knowing if he could or couldn't)

Fact of the matter. Written on a police form

"The waves were a bit rough and he was unstable in the water while snorkelling at Khai Island." 

He being "unstable" in the water indicates he was either not a confident swimmer or couldn't swim. He may have been wearing a life jacket but if one is not confident in the water that may not help.

One's own personal safety is one's own responsibility. It should not be delegated to others.  Sure they might be trained etc but ultimately the decision is one's own.  

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Not confused in the slightest.  Fact of the matter is, many posters said he can't swim ( not knowing if he could or couldn't) and implying he sunk.  OP implying he took in too much water as he clearly states the water was rough.  

No. Drowning and sinking are not the same. Mentioning drowning doesn't imply sinking.

Really, drowning and sinking aren't the same?  Of course they're not.  However, with most every poster saying he can't swim, what does that imply?  Does that imply they think he swallowed too much water via snorkel, or does that imply posters think he went below the surface and couldn't breathe? Pretty clear to me, but if you want to keep arguing a moot point, knock yourself out.

31 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Really, drowning and sinking aren't the same?  Of course they're not.  However, with most every poster saying he can't swim, what does that imply?  Does that imply they think he swallowed too much water via snorkel, or does that imply posters think he went below the surface and couldn't breathe? Pretty clear to me, but if you want to keep arguing a moot point, knock yourself out.

Since he drowned and was most likely at the surface wearing a life jacket you're right, moot point.