First border crossing at Laos

I’m due for my first exit and re entry stamp next week, I have a 1 year multi entry non O based on marriage. is there anything I should be aware of before going?, Do I have to stay overnight or can I come back across the same day? We will leave Udonthani and travel to Laos, never done this before so any advise would be hugely helpful as again when searching the inter web so many conflicting opinions! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No need to stay overnight. You can cross, turnaround and come right back it you want to.

You will need to get a Lao visa on arrival. The fee is $30 to $42 or 1500 baht dependent upon your nationality.

• Like 1

Its very easy. Drive to Nong khai. Park you car in the car parks at the end of the rd, just before the entrance to the Border. They give you a ticket which you take with you. Ignore the visa services they offer. Waste of time and money. Have your photo taken (passport style) or bring some with you. Walk through the border/imigration as you would at the airport. After this you can catch little bus (25bht) to take you over the bridge. There will be visa and taxi touts. A polite and firm no will. Make them go away. Get on this bus. Get off the bus. Fill in the forms and hand them in through a little window with your passport and payment. You collect your passport from. The next window. Your loas visa will be inside. Walk through the gates. You are in laos. Its worth going to Vientiane. Its very relaxed and quite cheep. Drink some beer laos dark. Its the best. Go to the pharmacy buy what you want. Stay a bit. Go back to Thailand. 

I am not sure about what your visa requirements are or if you have to go to to embassy etc etc. 

But the process of leaving is very easy. I have been on my own and my thai isn't very good. Coming back in. Same in reverse with the visa application part. 

Oh. You can pay in Thai baht for most things over the border. You get change in Kip. Easy peasy. 

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 2

I’ve done it once and then got my NO retirement visa. Rode my small  from Kumphawapi actually live 20 km further. Parked at 7/11 wife didn’t want to go but saved money without extra border fees with one. As Ubonjoe says it’s very easy. 

I was clueless only heard people say Freindship Bridge for visa run. 

Stopped at border 7/11 saw the crossing maybe 10 minutes stroll 

saw many Farang and asked one. Take a bus across bridge all really

easy. Don’t remember if need USD for visa or if it was baht. Think baht

was OK and it was Vietnam that wanted USD. 

My son and his Cambodian wife went one day when visiting me. Said the town is nice. Maybe you want to stay a night. 

Have a a good Trip!

• Like 1