Why living in Thailand has made me a better person

rooster59

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

But not opinionated, and without getting excited.

Do you ever express your opinions dispassionately?  I find Tiger beer ok; it’s fairly consistent, and cheaper than premium brands.  There’s an opinion, supported by evidence. What’s your favourite beer? Do you like Tiger?  There’s an invitation to join in a pleasant conversation.

It can be done.

I am not sure you understand what you are saying. That is my opinion, of course.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, Mario666 said:

Whether or not you think living in Thailand has made "Made you a better person" is by default Purely Subjective and as such only relevant to yourself.....why then put it on a forum for discussion?

To which I responded,

On 4/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, smotherb said:

Well, if opinionated subject matter were eliminated, what else would we discuss?

Your post #44 responded to my post above and said,

“Football.  Weather. Tyre pressures. Cycling routes. Mathematical conundra. The perfidy of auto-correct. It’s always nice to be able to suggest a useful answer”

Since it appeared you tried, but failed to provide a “useful answer,” my opinion, of course; I retorted that everything your said was opinionated.  

We’ve gone through a couple of iterations of you suggesting topics and I suggesting they were simply more opinionated material.

Now you ask if I ever express an opinion dispassionately. Quite frankly, it depends upon the topic and the source; but in all probability, I am quite passionate about my opinion.

Finally, you speak of a pleasant conversation. Certainly, that is not what you have been trying to have with me. Which, of course, is my opinion.

I am quite tired of this banter, again my opinion; so you may continue alone.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

I am not sure you understand what you are saying. That is my opinion, of course.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, Mario666 said:

Whether or not you think living in Thailand has made "Made you a better person" is by default Purely Subjective and as such only relevant to yourself.....why then put it on a forum for discussion?

To which I responded,

On 4/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, smotherb said:

Well, if opinionated subject matter were eliminated, what else would we discuss?

Your post #44 responded to my post above and said,

“Football.  Weather. Tyre pressures. Cycling routes. Mathematical conundra. The perfidy of auto-correct. It’s always nice to be able to suggest a useful answer”

Since it appeared you tried, but failed to provide a “useful answer,” my opinion, of course; I retorted that everything your said was opinionated.  

We’ve gone through a couple of iterations of you suggesting topics and I suggesting they were simply more opinionated material.

Now you ask if I ever express an opinion dispassionately. Quite frankly, it depends upon the topic and the source; but in all probability, I am quite passionate about my opinion.

Finally, you speak of a pleasant conversation. Certainly, that is not what you have been trying to have with me. Which, of course, is my opinion.

I am quite tired of this banter, again my opinion; so you may continue alone.  

I expect you will insist on having the last word, nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, swissie said:

I was expecting many replies to this thread, Farangs coming foreward and telling us how Thailand has turned them into better persons.
As this hasn't happened, I must assume that there are no Farangs around that would claim that Thailand has turned them into better persons.
As for myself, I don't think Thailand has turned me into a better person, but I sure as h*ll have become better at lying and cheating.:clap2:
......when in Rome, do as the Romans do......
Cheers.

Thailand has made me more disillusioned about the female of the species than I was when I arrived, but "better". I think not.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 2:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand has made me more disillusioned about the female of the species than I was when I arrived, but "better". I think not.

You want them to treat you like a rockstar?

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

Depends what type of football and what week.

You really ought to backtrack to see to what post I commented.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:23 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Auto-correct will probably be the cause of the next world war. 

As for the rest, if you can't discuss football, or the weather or tyre pressures or cycling routes or conundra of any sort without your own selfish opinions clouding your judgement, then what hope have you of dispassionate and open-minded discourse on any topic?

Whereupon I said, "Absolute absurdity; surely you are attempting humor. What is the best football team?"

Saying, of course, that talking, "football, or the weather or tyre pressures or cycling routes or conundra" is all opinionated, or can be.

• 6 months later...
24 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Are you Dr Frankenstein, trying to revive moribund topics and send the newly-animated corpses unprepared into society?

We all need a hobby. How am I doing with this corpse?

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

There is a place for that sort of thing, but I think you will need to search the forum for “at last there is a place”

Maybe I should start a topic and call it "The Topicless Topic". Would have to get the mods to agree not to delete off topic posts though. Maybe if "The Big Cheese" is reading this he can have a word.

• 5 weeks later...