Hair breakage - what’s in the water?

CaitlinHappyMeal

17 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

My partner runs a Hairdressing salon in Thailand and is adamant about using legit products.  She gets lots of trade from people who have suffered from applications from salons near hers which she knows use inferior/fake products.

Valid point but not applicable in my case as I  bring my own shampoo and conditioner, I am a hairdresser myself and have had to sort out a few nightmare hair procedures ?

if one is travelling  around then it is not really convenient to travel with a bucket

There are numerous folding buckets that pack easily.

Also with a polite request you could probably borrow one from your hotel or accommodation host.

A gallamung is a wide shallow plastic container used for washing dishes or clothes, very common here. 6-8" deep

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, CaitlinHappyMeal said:

I hear you this has happened to me before, I suspect with the water systems in the tanks it’s a combination of chlorine and chloramine, possibly other chemicals too ?

So, you have seen them adding chemicals to tanks.
Next time you see hand dosing ninjas adding chemical X to your supply tank don't hide in the bushes, go and ask what it is.

Most economical water treatment is done through automatic dosing but this is LOS so I guess there might be few doing a hand job.

Idea! Why not cut your hair down to the wood before the next trip. The Thais wont care if you look like tomboy, its a lot cooler and no worries about condition.

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

There are numerous folding buckets that pack easily.

Also with a polite request you could probably borrow one from your hotel or accommodation host.

A gallamung is a wide shallow plastic container used for washing dishes or clothes, very common here. 6-8" deep

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah you mean กะละมัง English translations are sometimes difficult to understand, yes this is a possibility

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:
So, you have seen them adding chemicals to tanks.
Next time you see hand dosing ninjas adding chemical X to your supply tank don't hide in the bushes, go and ask what it is.

Most economical water treatment is done through automatic dosing but this is LOS so I guess there might be few doing a hand job.

Idea! Why not cut your hair down to the wood before the next trip. The Thais wont care if you look like tomboy, its a lot cooler and no worries about condition.

Alternatively I could go down the not washing my hair route for 4 months ?

• Sad 1

I wash my hair once a week, (no I don't stink) with a bar of soap, and quickly. I am 63, normal hair loss. But still have a decent head of hair. Some folks spend hours in a shower covering their hair with chemicals that were not meant to be on you body in any form. I met a German Biologist guy once on a flight to CM, who had worked for Unilver. he said "I wouldn't put any of that crap on my body, its poison. If you live near a beach, sand and salt water work wonders on skin and clean hair your hair too.

1 hour ago, elephant45 said:

I wash my hair once a week, (no I don't stink) with a bar of soap, and quickly. I am 63, normal hair loss. But still have a decent head of hair. Some folks spend hours in a shower covering their hair with chemicals that were not meant to be on you body in any form. I met a German Biologist guy once on a flight to CM, who had worked for Unilver. he said "I wouldn't put any of that crap on my body, its poison. If you live near a beach, sand and salt water work wonders on skin and clean hair your hair too.

If I let salt water dry on my skin, I develop a nasty rash.  I can't imagine following this advice.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:37 PM, CaitlinHappyMeal said:

I wondered how long it would be before someone was going to be rude. Obviously I know how to run water off into a receptacle, if one is travelling  around then it is not really convenient to travel with a bucket, and it’s laughable to think that there is enough water in a a sink to rinse ones hair. My best guess is you’re an bored bitter old man trawling the forums who has lost the majority of his hair anyway and has no realisation of how devastating it is for a female to see  hand fulls of hair fallout every time they wash it so thank for your understanding. No idea what gallamong means but I imagine it’s derogatory, although after a quick search, although not technically 2 words, it does make a good google whack entry. Shouldn’t imaging it will stop you but maybe best to go on the adage that if you can’t say anything nice or constructive don’t say anything at all. 

So you take your verbal shots at me, state your incorrect negative assumptions, then say "maybe best to go on the adage that if you can’t say anything nice or constructive don’t say anything at all."

That is a powerful demonstration of intellect. 

32 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

So you take your verbal shots at me, state your incorrect negative assumptions, then say "maybe best to go on the adage that if you can’t say anything nice or constructive don’t say anything at all."

That is a powerful demonstration of intellect. 

just calling you out on your unprovoked rudeness and bullshit, why didn't you just not say anything instead of being rude. by not saying anything back it gives the impression that its ok for you to be rude. so that was me letting you know that its a consequence of your behaviour. far to much of it on here when i only asked a simple question? 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:52 AM, jagi00 said:

Do you buy your shampoos locally? There are lots of copies of major brands sold here in many shops.

I was surprised (well - maybe not...) to have recently learned that some of the brand names like L'Oreal, Head and Shoulders, etc. as well as fabric softeners and such, sold in those Thai markets which sell plastic household items, cleaning supplies, charcoal, tools and so forth - are fake. The shop owners buy large bottles of cheap shampoos, soap, etc. and order the fragrance and color to add to them. I've even seen a place near Suan Bak Haad that computer matches the scents and colors! I bought some bottles of soap and shampoo a few times from one such market and suspected something wasn't right as I felt itchy after the shower. When I used another bottle that I bought at Big C I did not feel itchy. The wife was told that they sold their own concoction of these items.

• Like 1

Water treatment here frequently operates on the principle more is better. So over-chlorination or over-liming is quite common. I would tend to be looking at the calcium content, as lime is quite a harsh chemical.

I would suggest rinsing with water obtained from one of the RO roadside dispensers. A few baht for 5 litres.

Don't have the OP's problem, bald.

26 minutes ago, elektrified said:

That is from too much chlorine.

I vote for copper, which is used as an algaecide in swimming pools. Probably reacts with hair proteins. Virtually all copper compounds are green or blue.