Do you have a shed ?

superal

I was only thinking the other day as to why I do not have a shed here in Thailand . In the UK my self built shed was my sanctuary , a workshop , tools storage ,  fridge and a place where my pals would come for a chin wag and a beer on a reciprocal arrangement . A safe haven under lock & key where I knew where everything was kept ( well almost ) .

I suppose the differences in climates / insects / snakes etc do not lend themselves to a wooded shed too much in Thailand  & that has to be considered .   

Interested to here if any members have built their own  outhouse / shed / workshop over here and their stories & advice before I start to make my own . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think buying decent wood that is impervious to termites, woodworm or general Thai weather conditions would quite an expensive option which is probably why you don't see many sheds built this way here. A welded steel frame with steel side panels and roof could be a possibility or just one built the usual way with rendered brick or concrete blocks, perhaps painted to match your house. All of them would probably be a bit to hot to hold a social gathering inside, unless you fit aircon of course.

• Like 1

I'm lucky that I have a workshop in the main house, not huge but it houses my tools, lathe etc. and it's lockable. It's also the coolest room in the house as it never gets direct sunlight on the one outside wall.

We have also got "sheds" in the garden which house the gardening kit, chicken food etc etc. These are steel frame with block in-fill, cheap and cheerful.

• Like 2

I built a workshop, bricks and mortar for storeing my tools, wires, paint, nuts, bolts screws etc.,and all the other junk I pick up at secondhand markets...it's packed to the roof now, can hardly find anything. No room for friends to be listening to music and yacking etc.,

Anyway, if we wanted to have a chinwag and listen to music, wouldn't the house be a more comfortable enviourment for that?

I would be using Insulated colour bond roof & Q Blocks

Not as cheap as you may think to build 

Myself & another Falang have very small garden sheds

Mine - 2 mtr x 3 x 3 = 30,000 bht

His 2.4 mtr x 1.2 x 3 = 17 - 20,000 

very basic

• Like 1

Pity us poor guys who share a tiny condo with 127 pairs of shoes, enough potions and make-up to open a pharmacy, and the worlds largest collection of plastic bags.
I dream of having my own cupboard or drawer.
I have my own space, its a couple of gig on a hardrive.

I have shed envy.

What is it with the plastic bags?

Do we really need 6 bottles of the same shampoo? And they’re the same, why do we have to open all of them?

Mine has to take several bottles of water wherever we go, like we’re not going to be able to buy it when we get there...
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think buying decent wood that is impervious to termites, woodworm or general Thai weather conditions would quite an expensive option which is probably why you don't see many sheds built this way here. A welded steel frame with steel side panels and roof could be a possibility or just one built the usual way with rendered brick or concrete blocks, perhaps painted to match your house. All of them would probably be a bit to hot to hold a social gathering inside, unless you fit aircon of course.

Surely that would not so much be a "Shed" as a very small "Under-appointed "House"...... which many Thais live in anyway.

Why not just buy a small Crap Thai house near you and use that instead? :smile:

7 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Exactly my situation.  Oh! I misread.  Its deck not dick, right?

Sure its not dick?

I was wondering why keithpa was polishing the deck himself & not his wife doing the polishing while she relaxed on it.

I converted the maids quarters in to a workshop. Didn't like the maid outside anywhere so she has one of the spare bedrooms, easy to get at that way as well.

The room makes a great workshop and though I don't have aircon in that room it does have a nice big fan and rarely gets too hot.

I also have an office / mancave in the house for all the other stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah totally agree, in AU I had an ol barn.. could fit 8 cars, an d ol 2 car garage and a modern coulorbond shed 6 car size... heaven..

here at my 4 bed house no laundry even... however, big difference is here, now, I dont want to hide in the man shed with my mates as I play indoors in comfort with my ladyfriends.. I no complain...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stropper said:

do not muck around with a shed buy an old 6 metre container, totalbly lockable, and you do can any thing with, even acts as a big safe !

Yes...but whats the cost of it....?

1 hour ago, stropper said:

do not muck around with a shed buy an old 6 metre container, totalbly lockable, and you do can any thing with, even acts as a big safe !

If you go this way put a second roof at least 60cm higher above it otherwise incredibly hot.  I worked in the NW of West Australia and thats the setup we used.  Still very hot but better than without the extra roof.

• Like 2

I have three. One on the main yard which is an actual workshop. Welders and power tools and a good bench with a vice.

On the other yard I have a small one which is now just irrigation storage, and another 5x12 meter shed which is actually split level with a balcony.

I did the split level part for the inlaws, whose bamboo shed I knocked downed and burned to build a better one. They were supposed to use the lower level as the kitchen, and the upper balcony for midday sleeping. The back half 5x8 meters high ceiling was all for me. However, I never even got to putting the walls on the back section before they moved into it. It is now hammocks, cooking crap, firewood supply, various agricultural implements. They like the open wall concept and it is a very popular hangout. Seriously, there is always someone there, I don't always know who they are either.

The lower area in the front which is supposed to be their kitchen is now jammed full of old timbers and broken stuff. And no one ever seems to use the really nice and scenic 5x4 balcony. I can't even drive my quad in it any more because the midday cooking fire has to be precisely in the place I drive in.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1