U.S. Boy Scouts to change name in appeal to girls

webfact

U.S. Boy Scouts to change name in appeal to girls

2018-05-03T074216Z_1_LYNXMPEE420CV_RTROPTP_3_USA-BOYSCOUTS-GAYS.JPG

The statue of a scout stands at the entrance to Boy Scouts of America headquarters in Irving, Texas, February 5, 2013. REUTERS/Tim Sharp/Files

(Reuters) - The Boy Scouts of America will drop "boy" from the name of its signature programme for older youths as it seeks to widen its appeal to girls, the 108-year-old organisation said on Wednesday.

Starting in February 2019, the Boy Scouts programme for boys 11 to 17 will be called Scouts BSA. The name of the overall organisation will remain Boy Scouts of America.

More than 3,000 girls have enrolled in the Boy Scouts of America's Early Adopter Program and are taking part in Cub Scouts ahead of the full integration of girls later this year.

Founded in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America said the rebranding was part of the single-name approach used for Cub Scouts after its historic move last year to admit girls to its programme and let them earn the top rank of Eagle Scout.

"As we enter a new era for our organisation, it is important that all youth can see themselves in scouting in every way possible," Michael Surbaugh, chief Scout executive of the Boy Scouts of America, said in the statement.

The Boy Scouts of America has lost about a third of its members since 2000, which now stands at about 2.3 million. The organisation has said the decision to admit girls to the Cub Scouts was in response to the needs of families and because of dropping membership.

The Boy Scouts last year opted to allow transgender boys to join.

The Boy Scouts of America on Wednesday also unveiled its "Scout Me In" programme that features girls along with boys and starts this summer.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson in Washington, editing by G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-03
  • Haha 2

All this started 108 years ago when a Boer War veteran by the name of Robert Baden-Powell started the Boy Scouts on Brownsea Island, Dorset, England, followed shortly thereafter by The Girl Guides..

What's all the fuss about? Are they having bi-sex camping now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America#Precursors

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

All this started 108 years ago when a Boer War veteran by the name of Robert Baden-Powell started the Boy Scouts on Brownsea Island, Dorset, England, followed shortly thereafter by The Girl Guides..

What's all the fuss about? Are they having bi-sex camping now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America#Precursors

Last we heard from the Girl Scouts they were being warned not to hug their relatives during the holidays as they might be molesters.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

One would be well advised to look up the word misogyny in the dictionary before using it to insult someone.

It is hard to see how the word applies to a light hearted comment about boys. I'm only shocked the race card hasn't been played yet.

As a former Boy Scout, I can verify that things are going to get very awkward on camping trips. I remember one sailing trip there were 20 of us bunked in a cabin. We'd all make pretend erection bulges in our sheets whenever someone shouted "Prepare to tent".... then pretend to jerk off as someone shouted "tent, ho"... immature stuff for sure but I think it was wise to keep us away from the Girl Guides.

All institutions will be broken down by the PC brigade until they have taken the fun out of everything to their satisfaction. Of course - if they survive that long.

I was also a Boy Scout and there was that point in time when we might as well have called it the penis brigade, since there was so much focus on that part of the body.   Oh and then there was the waiting for someone to fall asleep, but their finger in warm water to see if they wet the bed, or putting toothpaste in their hand and tickling their nose with a feather, etc., etc..    

But things change.   It won't be the same, it will be different.   Whether it will be better or worse, only time can tell.   

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In case people didn't know what the moronic flame insult soy boy (slung on this thread to insult the new BSA) means and the type of misogynistic white nationalist right wing extremist internet trolls that use it, here you go:

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/28/what-is-a-soy-boy-7034424/?ito=cbshare

Some times you don't need to know the details.  You could understand the intent from the tone of voice in which it was posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Some times you don't need to know the details.  You could understand the intent from the tone of voice in which it was posted.

Perhaps but because slur phrases like soy boy and cuck are part of the international alt-right movement, I think every informed person should be aware of what they really mean if they don't already. Some of those alt-right bozos think they have their own subculture code. Not if everyone knows it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

When I was a Boy Scout in the late 1950's there were the equivalent to us known as Girl Guides.

There were also Wolf Cubs and Brownies, Rangers and Beavers came along later.

Apart from the PC brigade what has changed?

They need a name that reflects both tradition and forward thinking. "Ladyboy Scouts" includes the original name of the organisation, along with a prefix which suggests young ladies are also welcome to participate. Baden-Powell would surely approve. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps but because slur phrases like soy boy and cuck are part of the international alt-right movement, I think every informed person should be aware of what they really mean if they don't already. Some of those alt-right bozos think they have their own subculture code. Not if everyone knows it. 

A woman is the worst thing you can be.

If you are a boy.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Credo said:

Perhaps they could just change to Bi-Scouts of America.

Or Boy Skirts... 

And when it's time to lift your camp for another place... then one could blouse the fire to smother it

Just hope the Agenda doesn't spill overseas... 

images (1).jpeg

Edited by tifino

U.S. Boy Scouts to change name in appeal to girls the politically-correct

"The Boy Scouts of America has lost about a third of its members since 2000, which now stands at about 2.3 million. The organisation has said the decision to admit girls to the Cub Scouts was in response to the needs of families and because of dropping membership.

The Boy Scouts last year opted to allow transgender boys to join."

To satisfy PETA, maybe they should allow any primate to join starting with chimpanzees and orangutans.

20 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Congratulations on finding a (made-up) quote that served your purpose.

Made up?

Huh?
In any case, the information I provided about the use of "soy boy" as a slur by the misogynist alt-right movement reflects FACTS that can easily be found on hundreds of other links. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

U.S. Boy Scouts to change name in appeal to girls the politically-correct

"The Boy Scouts of America has lost about a third of its members since 2000, which now stands at about 2.3 million. The organisation has said the decision to admit girls to the Cub Scouts was in response to the needs of families and because of dropping membership.

The Boy Scouts last year opted to allow transgender boys to join."

To satisfy PETA, maybe they should allow any primate to join starting with chimpanzees and orangutans.

It's true that's the main reason BSA has opened up their membership to girls. Not enough boy members.

Some in the girl scouts are objecting to that and they have a fair point.

Transgender boys which is a  different category are girls that identify as boys.

Your PETA comment is just silly.

I will also add I'm not sure "coed" scouting is such a great idea, though the transgender issue is separate and such people do deserve a place in scouting. Not enough of them for a separate scouting organization.

Edited by Jingthing