Illegal hotel crackdown in Phuket

webfact

Illegal hotel crackdown

"We found that many illegal hotels in Phuket are using Thais as nominees"

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

unnamed-13-2.jpg

Tourist Police have announced a continuation of the crackdown on illegal hotels in Phuket. Tourist Police are also continuing to locate and get rid of tour operators’ nominees – using Thai people as a ‘front’ for foreign tour companies.

The owner of a condominium project development company has been arrested after the condos were sold but the construction had never started. Police say that their current investigation estimates potential losses for buyers could exceed a billion baht. Additional litigants that are now coming forward suggesting that the amount could be much larger.

Tourist Police Deputy Commander Gen Surachet Hakpan says, “Fraud must not exist in Phuket as Phuket is all about tourism. This can affect our whole tourism image.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/illegal-hotel-crackdown

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-04

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Surachet Hakpan says, “Fraud must not exist in Phuket

Good Luck with that. This man certainly has his work cut out for him. Not saying that he is bad at it, but 1 against 10000 isn´t fair at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

using Thai people as a ‘front’ for foreign tour companies.

so if i bring my money from my home country and my thai wife of many years buys land with it, is she a 'front' for me ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

so if i bring my money from my home country and my thai wife of many years buys land with it, is she a 'front' for me ?

Are you operating a tour company then, or maybe an illegal hotel?

Most of the time if the Thai wife buys land with money you supplied the land office let you sign a note or document the money was a gift to her.

9 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Typical Thai written headline, using the adjective to describe the wrong noun!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Typical people moaning about side issues in stead of what the thread is about.

Besides that, it is common in headlines to shorten them and make them 'grammatically incorrect' also in the western world.

2 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

The headline suggests the crackdown was illegal, not the hotels. 

I agree entirely and the narrative hardly makes sense either.  Suggest TV takes these articles, rehashes them and publishes, rather than just copying and pasting something which is clearly nonesense. 

Edited by robertson468
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Hotels using Thais as nominees. 

That's small potatoes vs the number of villas, land etc held this way. As usual Thai logic at play. 

Thailand is supposed to be part of the WTO,they enjoy the privileges that membership brings,but then place all manner of prohibitive stipulations on property and business ownership for foreigners,maybe its about time this was made reciprocal by foreign governments in regards to Thai's buying abroad. TIT

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

No, because when the transaction is done at the Land Office you are obliged (if legally wed) to sign a disclaimer in Thai) agreeing that the money used for the purchase is hers alone effectively that she had it before the date of marriage. So the land is hers.

Strange headline. Starts off about illegal hotels & moves to suckers who have paid deposits before construction even begins.. Comments as well, this has nothing to do with loaning or giving monies to a girlfriend to buy land

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 12:02 PM, markaoffy said:

Typical Thai written headline, using the adjective to describe the wrong noun!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes how typical.

What a disgrace. Another thing to complain about.

All too awful isnt it.

1 hour ago, peperobi said:

I'm very surprised, is look like they do police work only in Phuket, Pattaya, and Hua Hin, I know in Samui several hotels/hostels that are probably illegal....

The Phuket Police only "crackdown" on their competition. On Samui, the Police must own EVERYTHING.   :smile:

7 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

The Phuket Police only "crackdown" on their competition. On Samui, the Police must own EVERYTHING.   :smile:

I know it, but we talking about Khun Surachet, he is working all around...

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

How many guesthouses, apts, condos, etc have a license? 5%?

Many guesthouses have licenses to let out rooms issued by the Tessabaan. A number are registered with the OrBorJor and some of these regularly pay room tax.

Does this make them legal according to the rules? I have no idea.