What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Tv series - Chaussee d'Amour

Really enjoying this one, has a bit of everything.
Hardcoded subs.

Sorry, couldn't find a trailer with Eng subs but here's a teaser.

Summary: When her marriage fails Sylvia is forced to move with her children into a brothel on the Chaussée d'Amour.
Out of financial necessity she decides to exploit the bar. Meanwhile a detective tries to solve an old murder case.

Three of my favourite programmes are The Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad. This may seem irrelevant to the OP but two of them currently have spin-offs, Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad) and Mayans M.C. (SoA), while Steven Van Zandt of The Sopranos has starred in Lilyhammer, a black comedy about a gangster who relocated to Norway.

Gomorrah is well worth being patient with the subtitles, assuming that you're not fluent in Italian. The new season is being shot partially in London, it has a lot to live up to. Next year should also bring a new "year" of Fargo

I'm also a fan of cop shows and there have been a couple of half decent efforts in Chicago PD and Shades of Blue (a star-studded [Ray Liotta, Jennifer Lopez and the lovely Drea de Matteo] poor man's "The Shield"), however the best current cop show by far IMHO is Bosch, a classy "noir" effort starring the excellent Titus Welliver, of "Lost", "SoA" and "Deadwood" fame.

Mrs. BM likes shows with strong female characters, old favourites being "Nikita", "Blindspot" and "The Blacklist", so we're also watching "Queen of the South", about Mexican drug cartels, and "Wynnona Earp", a supernatural western horror, according to Wiki.

Switching genres to fantasy, like many others I'm looking forward to the next season of "GoT", as well as the resumption of "Into the Badlands" and of History's "Vikings".

An honourable mentions also goes to Tin Star, a tense British/Canadian crime drama filmed in the Canadian Rockies.

• Like 2

Just downloaded a series from a few years ago called white heat ,its a 6 part series about a guy who dies and leaves his house to his housemates from london in the swinging 60s, its in flashbacks captures the time,for us who lived it.just watched the first episode and its good.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just watched a great documentary, "Spitfire", about the development,the men flying it

during WW2, and if it had not played such an important part in The Battle of Britain,

we would not be worried about Brexit ,as we would all be speaking German.

The Spitfire, E type Jag,and Concorde  3 really iconic machines.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some good ones Ive been enjoying:

YOU.....very creepy millennial story leveraging the dangers of social media....stunned that this is on lifetime channel the home of corny romances.

Safe....a tv show based on a harlan coben novel....nice opening title song.....not great but not bad either....8 episodes.

My pick of the week...LOVE YOU MORE.....a zany non PC comedy series from bobcat goldthwait.....about a fat, huge titted and big hearted medical services worker with an irrepressible sexual appetite.....sadly the <deleted> at amazon cancelled it after releasing one pilot episode...worth a watch if only to imagine how good this could have been. Bobcat lost, Jefftwat won.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just watched a great documentary, "Spitfire", about the development,the men flying it

during WW2, and if it had not played such an important part in The Battle of Britain,

we would not be worried about Brexit ,as we would all be speaking German.

The Spitfire, E type Jag,and Concorde  3 really iconic machines.

regards worgeordie

I've just watched Spitfire. What a fantastic documentary it was too.

I felt a tear jerking moment when the now ninety-nine-year-old woman who flew to deliver a thousand aircraft from factory to airfield, was there to be reunited with the only one she ever signed her name on. Incredible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

"Moped Muggers Caught On Camera" from UK television 

You think here is bad have a look at this program and see what UK is turning into  :w00t:

That was interesting, thanks.

I can't see it on tpb yet. Just to be pedantic, if you watch it on catch-up, it's Caught On Camera Series 4 Episode 1: Moped Muggers.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, newatthis said:

Agree. Top British entertainment.

Another series worth watching is "Ordeal by Innocence." [only 3 episodes]

Thanks for the recommendation of Ordeal by Innocence. Based on the Agatha Christie novel but with quite a few changes, the directing, scenery, acting and script are simply superb. Great viewing, imo.

• Thanks 1

Nunca Vas a Estar Solo

Dip your toes into some top class South American cinema.

If you watch this gem, consider how the father's rage would be shown in a typical American version of a similar story. 

Berlinale 2016 Review: YOU'LL NEVER BE ALONE, A Smart Chilean Debut

There perhaps hasn't been that many films to blow your socks off at Berlinale so far this year, but Alex Anwandter's You'll Never Be Alone could well be the first. 

https://screenanarchy.com/2016/02/berlinale-2016-review-youll-never-be-alone-a-smart-chilean-debut.html

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2018 at 6:29 AM, Will27 said:

Excellent 3 part crime series from the Beeb.

Summary: Documentary series about hate crime in the US told through murders with elements of love and passion as well as prejudice.
Each show tells the story of one unfolding case.

Thanks, excellent doco.

• Thanks 1

Watched the movie Under Suspicion with Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. Old movie but I'd missed it somehow. Quite a well done murder investigation movie. Good use of placing the investigator into the memory scenes that the suspect / witnesses are recounting.

Finding Oscar

An excellent but harrowing doco.

Summary: Finding Oscar is a feature length documentary about the search for justice in the devastating case of the Dos Erres massacre in Guatemala. That search leads to the trail of two little boys who were plucked from a nightmare and offer the only living evidence that ties the Guatemalan government to the massacre.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Documentary - Three Identical Strangers

Really enjoyed this one.
An incredible story.
Summary: In 1980 New York, three young men who were all adopted meet each other and find out they're triplets who were separated at birth.
Then they discover why.

What I thought was going to be an interesting film turned out to have a very dark side. It wasn't until halfway through the film did you begin to realise what was really going on.

It definitely needs to be seen. Very frightening and unsettling. It's on tpb.

Thanks for the heads-up Will27

• Thanks 1

Mr Inbetween 

Quite a quirky little Aussie series.
Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

First 2 episodes available, six in all.

Summary: In Mr Inbetween, Ryan plays "Ray Shoesmith," a father, ex-husband, boyfriend and best

friend: tough roles to juggle in the modern age.
Even harder when you're a criminal for hire.

• Like 2

A simple Favor

Caught This Movie in Oz last week, it really was very good, sat there for the first 15 minutes thinking my daughters had conned me into watching some Chick movie--which was OK as it was one of those cinemas with tables that serve alcohol & food throughout  -- but it turned out to be a really good Murder thriller, try to catch it when it goes to the net. Probably the best I have seen this year....so try to get through the first  10-15

• Like 1

Sick of It.

A pretty good start to this new comedy starring Karl Pilkington.
First 2 episodes available.

Summary: Sick of It is a scripted comedy series that sees Karl Pilkington take on two roles - himself, and the voice inside his head, as he muddles through the mundane life he may have led if he hadn't met Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, SooKee said:

Not at all impressed with Westworld season 2.  Season 1 was pretty good but season 2 just draaaaaaaaaaaags on and on IMO. The endless flashbacks coupled with the dreary and overly long 'deep and meaningful' monologues trotted out by the lead characters at every opportunity (and way too often) just make this a season I wish I hadn't bothered with.

It was bad enough after the first couple of episodes but I persevered with it hoping it would improve, it didn't. Each episode could easily have been 30 minutes shorter (and would still likely be too long and boring). Episode 8 was by far the most boring, I dread a new character being introduced, you just know your'e gonna get 1-2 hours devoted to their back-story at some stage! It's as if this season moved away from the rather interesting general story / park theme of season one that was heading somewhere.  Having arrived there season 2 is more devoted to probing at greaaaaaaaat length and in minute (and boring as hell) detail of what's in the 'mind' of these robots, taking an hour per character. Won't be venturing into season 3 that's for sure; a season to be endured rather than enjoyed IMO.  I can do deep and meaningful, just not dreary and dull ????

• Like 1