What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

The Brits can pack more great writing and acting into those 6 episode series than US series do in 22.

So the Brits keep telling us, but, in general, I prefer American shows.

I have to agree, now and again the Brits will turn out a gem, but nothing to compete with Breaking Bad, Homeland, Billions, Ray Donovan etc.

Yes you turn out some great stuff. Unfortunately for every one good one you turn out another 99 utter rubbish

Well the ability to create garbage is hardly an American monopoly

The Only Way Is Essex, The Jeremy Kyle Show, and don't get me started on Stacy Dooley!

The Brits can pack more great writing and acting into those 6 episode series than US series do in 22.

So the Brits keep telling us, but, in general, I prefer American shows.

I like both. I speak English and a bit of American, and be carefull when the Oz comes out!!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Jeremy ,he has some of the cream of British Society on , you can see many of them walking around soi 6 most nights,as for Stacy Drooley and the only crap is in Essex ,cant argue that , but i was actually thinking more along the lines of Downton Abbey etc .thumbsup.gif

A few recent movies I watched..might have been mentioned

The Huntsman Winters War: Gawd..thankfully I avoided this at the cinema…watched it at home… incredibly boring. My movie companion enjoyed it…

The Jungle Book: This was pretty good...still showing at Cinemas here.

Bad Neighbours 2 (Now showing in Thailand Cinemas). :Better than the original. More laughs..more stupidity. Had the cinema crowd continually cracking up in fits of laughter.

Special Correspondents : Wow!! What a stinker…I like Gervais, but he does do some awful stuff… also with Eric Bana. Billed as a comedy, it lacks pretty much everything a movie should have.

Term Life: Vince Vaughn as the Mister Fixit Mastermind tough guy with some quirk. I wish he would stick to pure comedy. He made a meal of True Detective 2 and as a tough guy in arts here stretches the imagination. Forgettable and forgotten and hour after u watch this

• Like 1

This will please a lot of you.

Especially Mr Smith.

USA Slaps a Premiere Date on Suits Season 6

USA is here to save your summer from the boredom of beach days, afternoon lemonade, and vacation by giving you good reasons to park your butt on the couch,

close the curtains, and watch some TV. On Friday, the network announced that Season 6 of its legal drama Suits will return on Wednesday, July 13 at 9pm

Line of Duty, Season 3

Was sorry to see this one end. It's difficult to see what the story line could be after this, since they've followed the same thread for three series of six each. great acting, a literate script, quality that never lets down. I fell in love with Keely Hawes, but she really got mistreated in this series. Adrian Dunbar is fantastic as the super righteous boss of what would be called Internal Affairs, or, "The Rat Squad" in a US police force.

TEN, and then some.

Thanks for the reminder. Great series!

The Five is another good Brit Drama. About a group of adults who, when kids,let one of their little brothers be abducted, and his DNA has turned up twenty years later.

The first couple of episodes are a bit slow, as you get to know each character.

I like Oz series too. At the moment am watching Janet King.

• Like 1

Absolutely delightful Japanese film. 'An'

Based around a traditional )local red bean paste shop.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sweet_bean/

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed....in much the same bittersweet vein as Departed and Tokyo Sonata.
Yeah departed Is up there with my all time fav's. A quickly, has anyone seen Jacques audiards, aka 'the prophet', latest 'dheepan' ? I Saw and mentioned it a while back a truly stunning piece of cinema .. For me audiard and kim ki duc walk on water !!! .

Edited by rijit

Tv series - The Principal

Quite enjoyed this 4 part series from Oz.

IMDB: When history teacher Matt Bashir is promoted to Principal of a notoriously violent Boys' school in Sydney's south-west suburbs,
his radical approach brings him into conflict and leaves his personal life dangerously exposed. Just when he seems to be making progress, a 17-year-old student is found dead on school grounds.

Tv series - The Principal

Quite enjoyed this 4 part series from Oz.

IMDB: When history teacher Matt Bashir is promoted to Principal of a notoriously violent Boys' school in Sydney's south-west suburbs,

his radical approach brings him into conflict and leaves his personal life dangerously exposed. Just when he seems to be making progress, a 17-year-old student is found dead on school grounds.

Gave the first episode a try but when I saw 30 year old actors playing the part of 17 year olds, it lost me.

Edited by giddyup

I just can't seem to get past the first episode of this Danish drama series called Thicker Than Water (its said to be in the same vein as The Legacy).

GIve me some reasons to persevere or put me out of my misery.

I just can't seem to get past the first episode of this Danish drama series called Thicker Than Water (its said to be in the same vein as The Legacy).

GIve me some reasons to persevere or put me out of my misery.

I'm with you.

Watched episode 1 a while ago and it was dreadfully slow.

Will give episode 2 a crack when I'm in the mood for it.

Truman….not to be confused with The Truman Show.

Surprisingly charming and low key Argentinian film about a guy making arrangements for his dog truman to be adopted as he is planning to move on.

Nice find.

I really enjoyed this one.

Warlock (Old Western, 1959)

I heard this one was much different from the junk we old timers grew up on. Great cast, (Hank Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Richard Widmark), good scenery...twisted, somewhat preposterous story. Fonda is basically a hired gun, who goes from town to town to kill troublemakers, accompanied by his best friend, Weird Tony. They make extra money by running a faro table. His temp contract as a "marshal" makes him independent of the local cops and courts, and the faro goes with the deal.

Widmark becomes the duly authorized deputy, and he and Henry clash a few times before inevitably becoming buddies. Rare for a film from this era, it is all too clear that Quinn has a deep homosexual attraction to Hetero Hank, which Hank seems to ignore, or may even be unaware of. (?!) C'mon, they always sleep in the same hotel suite, wherever they go.

The story is completely out of control, but kept my interest, just to see these Immortals of the Silver Screen do their thing, in a good Cinemascope print. Available at the usual seed shops.

PS: This is a good example of an expensive film making no money and going quickly obscure perhaps because of a stupid title. "Warlock" happens to be the name of the town. Quickdraw shootouts on Main Street! Old School, but with a kink thrown in.

8, why not?

…. has anyone seen Jacques audiards, aka 'the prophet', latest 'dheepan' ? I Saw and mentioned it a while back a truly stunning piece of cinema .

Half way throughout it now….got a great 1080p stream of it with perfect subs on The Royal We….a Kodi add-on.

Wow….great story….loving it…Audiard is one of the greats….I love the way the his camera just seems to sort of hang back and observe the characters from the sidelines instead of being right in their midst (he did that in The Prophet too) …what a storyteller.

Thanks for bringing this one up.

• Like 1

^ yeah he reckoned the French swept historical stories under the carpet said there .ain't been a film made bout their.involvement in the Algerian tragedy' .. Said he wanted this story 2 come across as real as poss so he told the story in Sri Lankan and

The lead actor reckoned he'd actually lived through or near as dammit 70 ish % of the film

As you said truly great story telling.

Edited by rijit