What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

"In Bruges" was an absolute pisser! Actors not bunging on an accent, plenty of black comedy and a pretty decent storyline...

Really put Bruges on the map for awhile wink.png

I agree, great, largely overlooked and quickly forgotten film. If you've spent a lot of time in Belgium I guess it helps to like this one. I have and did.

I dont remember who said that old school was good ,but i have only one thing to say to you after watching the first episode ,sod you ,now i have yet another series to watch , really good ,love it , and while i am at it ,just watched under the dome politicaly correct two mums one black one white rubbish ,but shit i'me hooked again.

• Like 1

I dont remember who said that old school was good ,but i have only one thing to say to you after watching the first episode ,sod you ,now i have yet another series to watch , really good ,love it , and while i am at it ,just watched under the dome politicaly correct two mums one black one white rubbish ,but shit i'me hooked again.

I do what I canbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Whaaaaaat??? You do not like old school? But you watch "The Dome", which is definitely light Sunday afternoon entertainment for children (except for the cow that was cut in halves in the first episode)? Alright, I admit that I watch it, too. But only to find out what this bloody dome is about!

Whaaaaaat??? You do not like old school? But you watch "The Dome", which is definitely light Sunday afternoon entertainment for children (except for the cow that was cut in halves in the first episode)? Alright, I admit that I watch it, too. But only to find out what this bloody dome is about!

Just found out that I completely misunderstood (I mean, really completely misunderstood). Please, everybody pretend that I did not write anything... at all. Thank you for your understanding (I'll do better, promise!) wai.gif

• Like 2

Just found out that I completely misunderstood (I mean, really completely misunderstood). Please, everybody pretend that I did not write anything... at all. Thank you for your understanding (I'll do better, promise!) wai.gif

And i was just going to write something sarcastictongue.png

• Like 1

Random thoughts....

What makes British, and now quite a few Australian, actors/actresses so damn GOOD?? They come to the US, play American parts, and are flawless. I'm thinking---Christian Bale, outstandingly great actor. Did you see him in "The Fighter", with Mark Wahlberg? He OWNS that movie! And then he did American Hustle, with that crazy hairpiece, and the big gut.

Now we've got this new young Australian guy, Aden Young, playing to absolute authentic perfection the role of Daniel Holden, a young man who gets released from prison after 20 years (Death Row in goddam Georgia!). You'd swear this was a documentary, the acting and writing is so good. And on the same show, another Aussie, Adelaide Clemens, as his young, innocent, Protestant/Fundamentalist sister in law. You won't believe she's not from Georgia. Written and produced by Ray McKinnon, who played the poor whacked out preacher in the all-time fantastic series Deadwood.

Speaking of Deadwood, who can forget Ian McShane as Bad to the Bone Al Swearingen! Another Brit. Well, he's called a "Limey" in the show, but he came to America as a small boy. I miss that show. might have to watch it all again.

Then there was The Wire, with Dominick West as McNulty (a Brit), Aiden Gillen (Irish guy) as Tommy Carcetti, Mayor of Baltimore, and the great Idris Elba as Stringer Bell. I almost went catatonic when I heard Idris get interviewed on NPR, speaking in his natural British accent. It's almost a cliche to call the Wire the greatest show ever, but that's the fact. Idris is also great on his latest series, Luther.

When an American actor tries to play a Brit, I can't think of one instance of that working. The greatest travesty of all: Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes!!?? Get outta here! When you see Benedict Cumberbatch owning that part, with his flawless, perfect English diction, so suave, I'd be embarrassed to be Downey, a fine actor nonetheless. And then there's Jonny lee Miller, playing another version of Holmes, but as a Brit in new York. That show was starting to drag until they brought in Rhys Ifans (Welsh guy!) to play the part of Mycroft Holmes. And how about Doctor Watson, played by Martin Freeman, who then comes to America and takes total possession of his role as Lester Nygaard in Fargo. You can't believe he's not from Minnesota.

Now they're shooting a show that's an American version of the great UK show Broadchurch, and supposedly it will star David Tennant, an American version of his flawless UK part. That may be a step too far, we'll see.

Long history of British actors in American films, from the very start really:- Charles Chaplin, Vivien Lee, Leslie Howard, Olivia De Havilland (half British - born in Japan), Ray Milland, Deborah Kerr.

What's the series called with the towns surrounded by walls and people can't feel emotions?

I watched the first episode last week and zapped it off my torrent list thingy!!

Is this a new series just started?

Taxi Brooklyn (This is good too - ignoring the absurdity of it, but fun), Perception (Ssn 3), Covert Affairs (Ssn 5),

I might try this one. I thought it might be a bit lame when I read what it was about

Constantine (only had 1 episode so far - think its an early pilot)

Interested in seeing this one...it is based on the comic book Hellblazer:

Hellblazer (also known as John Constantine, Hellblazer) was a contemporary horror comic book series, originally published by DC Comics, and subsequently by the Vertigo imprint since March 1993, when the imprint was introduced. Its central character was the streetwise magician John Constantine, who was created by Alan Moore, Stephen R. Bissette and Jamie Delano, and first appeared as a supporting character in The Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 (June 1985), during that creative team's run on that title. Hellblazer had been published continuously since January 1988, and was Vertigo's longest running title, the only remaining publication from the imprint's launch.[1] In 2013, the series concluded with issue 300, and has been replaced by a DC Universe title, Constantine.[2]

Hellblazer was often a stepping stone to many British writers. Many influential British comic book writers such as Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis, Paul Jenkins, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Andy Diggle, and Peter Milligan have contributed to the series. Hellblazer would later be one of the first modern occult detective fiction, and heavily influenced the genre to come. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer

• Like 1

What's the series called with the towns surrounded by walls and people can't feel emotions?

I watched the first episode last week and zapped it off my torrent list thingy!!

Do you mean Delerium? Love is considered a disease and an operation post puberty stops people having physical attraction/love - the pilot was a few weeks ago, but I don't think it due to play for a while yet (?)- I mentioned it here earlier after I saw the polit. Looked better than it sound.

Taxi Brooklyn (This is good too - ignoring the absurdity of it, but fun), Perception (Ssn 3), Covert Affairs (Ssn 5),

I might try this one. I thought it might be a bit lame when I read what it was about

Constantine (only had 1 episode so far - think its an early pilot)

Interested in seeing this one...it is based on the comic book Hellblazer:

Hellblazer (also known as John Constantine, Hellblazer) was a contemporary horror comic book series, originally published by DC Comics, and subsequently by the Vertigo imprint since March 1993, when the imprint was introduced. Its central character was the streetwise magician John Constantine, who was created by Alan Moore, Stephen R. Bissette and Jamie Delano, and first appeared as a supporting character in The Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 (June 1985), during that creative team's run on that title. Hellblazer had been published continuously since January 1988, and was Vertigo's longest running title, the only remaining publication from the imprint's launch.[1] In 2013, the series concluded with issue 300, and has been replaced by a DC Universe title, Constantine.[2]

Hellblazer was often a stepping stone to many British writers. Many influential British comic book writers such as Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis, Paul Jenkins, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Andy Diggle, and Peter Milligan have contributed to the series. Hellblazer would later be one of the first modern occult detective fiction, and heavily influenced the genre to come. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer

Taxi Brooklyn - yes, write up did it little favours (and is often the case I think - I never watched 24, Orange is the New Black, Fargo or several others because the write ups turned me off - watched later and loved them all!). Like I said, it scores 2/10 for realistic scenario (i.e. an illegal immigrant taxi driver driving a cop around who has been banned from driving cop cars after crashing the Captain's new car), but so far has been fun - a little bit obvious I'm afraid (you will see this in episode 2, would have to be half asleep and three quarters drunk not to work out the bad guy within 2 minutes of seeing him/her) - but enjoyable nonetheless IMO.

Contantine - yes, its a lot closer than the movie was too, so they say, to Hellblazer. First look, it looks good.

Started watching Orange is the New Black today after mention and thumbs up here - glad I listen to you guys, enjoying it (on episode 5 now, Ssn 1)...

• Like 2

Do you mean Delerium? Love is considered a disease and an operation post puberty stops people having physical attraction/love - the pilot was a few weeks ago, but I don't think it due to play for a while yet (?)- I mentioned it here earlier after I saw the polit. Looked better than it sound.

That's the one! Thanks.

Shall put it on my list. I thought it was not too bad. I just want to know if she is alright!!

Just finished a Brendan Gleeson mini-festival in my room. Found and watched a black and white copy of The General. Was it originally B & W? Good fun, old style stuff, maybe played a touch too hard for laughs. Interesting to see a young Adrian Dunbar, who now plays an incorruptible senior British cop in Line of Duty. And then there's young and lovely Maria Doyle Kennedy as Cahill's wife. She now has a big role in the hit tv series Orphan Black.

Saw Calvary last night. This is one of those films that comes along occasionally and deals with suffering and spiritual issues with some depth, which means no chance for mass audience appeal. Wings of Desire comes to mind as an extreme example.

I think I need to watch it again. Some of it I wasn't ready for. Gleeson was great, as always. If I ever wanted to talk to a priest, I'd want a guy like him. The only character that I felt was overdone was the atheist, argumentative doctor, played by Aiden Gillen. Surprised to see Dylan Moran, the great Irish stand-up artist, in the role of a troubled bankster. Completely believable.

As for the Irish accents, they seemed pretty real to me. I only know two Irish people personally, and that's pretty much how they sound. (How's that for a sweeping generality?) And most of the cast really are Irish. The scenery is lovely. Why would anyone ever want to leave such a beautiful country?

Couple of new shows:

Finding Carter - nothing to do with "Get Carter" films! Just watched the first two episodes back to back pilot. Its a bout a girl that is returned to her real family at 16 after being abducted at 3 - her "mother" (the kidnapper) was a great mother to her (in her opinion) and is now on the run - her real mother is a cop and damaged by years of thinking her daughter was dead and hunting for the killer. Actually much better than it sounds - give it a try :)

Matador: Just watching the pilot right now - let you know. Write up: “Matador” – is centered on Antonio “Matador” Bravo, a popular soccer star and playboy whose sports stardom is a cover for his other life as a covert operative executing missions for a little known branch of the CIA. He uses his notoriety as a way of getting access to powerful and villainous types, but is forced to confront questions of his true identity in balancing his dual roles. (bit like I Spy with the Tennis Player spy cover)

• Like 1

I watched the 1953 film "Hobson's Choice" last night. Great acting, fine script. Best of all. for me, was the "Time Machine" feel of it, the scenes of street and old-time pub life, and the depiction of working class life at the end of the 19th Century. It was beautiful to watch the transformation of workman Will Mossop (John Mills) under the firm, determined guidance of the eldest Hobson daughter, Maggie, played to perfection by Brenda DeBanzie. And of course Charles Laughton was his usual superb self as the tyrranical Hobson.

It's amazing to see workmen toiling underground for years on end, working for 18 shillings a week. We're all living in decadent luxury now, compared to those days.

They don't write them like this any more. (100 year old play).

• Like 1

Took a look at Under the Dome, in which some sort of transparent bubble dome descends from (?) and encases a small town. I kept wondering why they don't get some shovels and tunnel under the thing. For sci-fi/fantasy fans only.

Took a look at Under the Dome, in which some sort of transparent bubble dome descends from (?) and encases a small town. I kept wondering why they don't get some shovels and tunnel under the thing.

I'm pretty sure that they tried. I remember them going down into some tunnels last season, but they could not get out for some reason.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Extant

Just watched the first episode, it was really good.

Thanks for turning us on to that. I just watched it too, and looks interesting. Sure has some big names attached to it, Halle Berry in starring role and Steven Spielberg as Executive Producer. With this pedigree, I expect it to be very much worth watching going forward.

• Like 1

Took a look at Under the Dome, in which some sort of transparent bubble dome descends from (?) and encases a small town. I kept wondering why they don't get some shovels and tunnel under the thing.

I'm pretty sure that they tried. I remember them going down into some tunnels last season, but they could not get out for some reason.

Yeah I remember they covered that off in some way early on

• Like 1