Motorcycle street racing: What happens when things go wrong - four dead

webfact

3 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Unfortunately there was an innocent involved. The poor pickup driver. Even though he was probably blameless I am sure he will be having flashbacks/sleepless nights pondering what could have been. He is a victim.

Unsure about his envolvement - not enough facts for me to write that.

Did he turn in from the other road side, did he turn in from the right lane - if it was a 4 lane road - did his lights front and back worked as they should? ?

9 hours ago, HLover said:

Meh, instead of another government money grab; parents doing their job may be a better solution?

How about naming  and face losing.

Face pic, bike pic, status : dead or lose 2 legs etc plus picture of the victims.

Only need to post it locally no need to go global.

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Horrific is truly the correct word.

I often hear (but don't see) racers on my island late at night on the weekend, and occasionally see the end results of racing as I go for a morning cycle; it is a terribly sad situation.

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.

R.I.P.

In Thailand there is an ole saying, "Parents don]t raise there kids, The kids raise their parents". Every day you see many examples of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So sad and to think that one of these kids could have gone on to find the cure for cancer later in their life, or perhaps brought peace to the Middle East. Now we will never know, such a waste.

Edited by Fish Head Soup
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

So sad and to think that one of these kids could have gone on to find the cure for cancer later in their life, or perhaps brought peace to the Middle East. Now we will never know, such a waste.

Indeed, could have gone on to true greatness and benefit to humanity - like so many other Thais before them

• Haha 1

So very young.  Barely even begun in life.  I used to ride so I know the joy and the fun of riding but it is not like it used to be.  It is much worse between foolishness and so many more people on the roads.  I am just thankful I did not break my neck or my back.  RIP all you fine young men.

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Horrific is truly the correct word.

I often hear (but don't see) racers on my island late at night on the weekend, and occasionally see the end results of racing as I go for a morning cycle; it is a terribly sad situation.

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.

R.I.P.

part of growing up. Sad but it happens all around the world

• Like 1

Ever see a pile-up at a Formula 1 or Indy Car race?  Some people find true 'living' is pushing the envelope between life and death.  And sometimes Death wins.  No longer my cup of tea, but I won't knock the lifestyle.  Been there, done that.  However - it would go a long way if the government tried embracing the fact that people wish to race, so?  Sanction it, regulate, build strips, and manage the racing.  Pullayup Raceways.  Seattle International Raceways.  All had open racing when I was a teenager.  It was safer than drag racing on public streets. 

• Like 1

Sadly this is long been coming for many of these Thai kids. Sorry for even thinking it but reality if they don't die today they will die tomorrow is my saying.

This is their culture been going on for decades if not centuries but today it is the 21st Century and yet Thais say "same"  they haven't been taught any alternatives to child rearing?  They only know what has been pass on to them. Not one has the right answer in raising kids as we know been through it ourselves but in our education we read and are given alternatives to try.

Here many are so poor parents are working in markets and just cross their fingers so immune to the real problem and hope for the best. 

As I noted in a thread in regards to kids going to school on motorbikes it is the start of the factory of death. Not only are they allow to go to school, but who is to prevent them from using that bike at all hours.  Note the time of the accident we take for granted a curfew in the West but it does make a difference sometime even the West get it right? 

School is out now and here in the Darkside in Pattaya, I see groups of kids pack riding like gangs at all hours of the night racing etc.  sorry to say it goes on all over Thailand.

When things like this happens the Government must step in but the leaders come from the same system so what was good for them must be good for the future? 

Sorry, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this even though I have a Thai son if I did I would end up having a stroke since it isn't going to be the first nor the last.

R.I.P  children but your Government has failed you!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

could have knocked the shit out of you the first time they saw that you were an idiot! could have kicked your ass out of the house when they found out you were using drugs! 

Knocked the shit out of me any number of times, kicked me out when I was 17...

Round here I have seen the Police facilitate these races. No sympathy whatsoever. Sorry. There loud motorcycles alone make people's lives hell. The more die as sad as it is the less I hope take the risk. 

Edited by BimBoon

A while back I lived in Nongbualamphu and less than kilometer away from the main 210 road. A couple of nights each week I'd wake up to the sound of revving motorbikes. I'd hear the sounds fade in the distance then return. This would go for an hour or more. The point was, though, on the opposite side of the lake and also close to the 210 was, and still is, the main police station but the activity never stopped. After midnight, one time, I was returning from Naklang and a couple of motorbikes whizzed by me...both going the wrong way, a bit disconcerting to say the least.

Some rather crass posts have been removed as well as the replies. 

An off topic post about motorbike racing in the UK has been removed, others will be removed if they get replied to bringing them forward into the topic. 

10 hours ago, z42 said:

No helmets also, pure idiocy but quite fitting as this is probably exactly the way these sorts envision as a cool way to exit the earth

They don't enforce helmet laws anymore since the military junta took over and the locals don't like them as it messes up their hair. Good thing they didn't have babies mounted in front. 

29 minutes ago, connda said:

Ever see a pile-up at a Formula 1 or Indy Car race?  Some people find true 'living' is pushing the envelope between life and death.  And sometimes Death wins.  No longer my cup of tea, but I won't knock the lifestyle.  Been there, done that.  However - it would go a long way if the government tried embracing the fact that people wish to race, so?  Sanction it, regulate, build strips, and manage the racing.  Pullayup Raceways.  Seattle International Raceways.  All had open racing when I was a teenager.  It was safer than drag racing on public streets. 

You are right!  but we are here in Thailand.  We all did the drag racing thing but somewhere in the back of our minds there was the doubt of getting busted? 90% of enforcement is doubt there isn't one country that has the actual manpower to enforce 24/7. We went through a lot training to get our license we were taught basically what the rules of execution when it came to the rules majority of us kind of pick and choose where we broke the rules. Sure I drag race but we always picked a lonely road, 1/4 mile we always had in the back of our minds we might get busted we didn't go all out. We did what we needed as kids and we took off. Here what race track even if they had one the kids on these bike can't even afford to change the light bulbs on the bikes, barely can afford to buy a 20 baht bottle of gas. Many of these kids pool their money together to fuel the bike and feed themselves. Many Thai parents don't see their kids especially the boys when they get 14-15 years old they just hope it blows over soon as it for them?

Here, there is no road enforcement like 1% road check the rest of the time it is "up to you this is Thailand"  I say how is that working out Chan O PM? 

Here it is scary they built longer roads better smooth surface this is their drag strip why build a private one?  Here in Pattaya, since they smooth out Sukhumvit and build the tunnel the speed for these motorbikes using them has increase the road is so smooth bikers are testing whether they can get to the other end before the cars come out the tunnel.  I since stop waiting on the left at the intersection of Pattaya Klang, bikes are going by easily 80K/H  down Sukhumvit it got to be nervous thinking what if someone went down while I was sitting here for the light to turn green so now I wait on the far right side.

Edited by thailand49

7 kids on 5 bikes? was that the total ? I don't know this road but I fail to see how he managed to collect them all accidently.....it seems really weird to me and it's only my opinion, could be totally wrong and it's a pity there is no CTV however just based on odds alone, never mind spacing (if they were racing) you would expect one to have got through unscathed. Maybe they were racing but wouldn't that indicate they were more alert than normal.

• Haha 1

i HAVE TO AGREE 4 MY EGO,THE REASON THEY DO THIS IS THERE IS NO LAW LAID DOWN IN THE HOME,AS ABOVE SAID,ONLY IN ALL THE CASES OF THIS KIND AND THE ONES WHERE THE GUN IS USED AND THE MACHETTE,ALL DOWN TO GIVING THEM ALL THEIR OWN WAY.OK THE PARENTS NEVER HAD MUCH IN MANY CASES BUT THE OPPOSITE DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR DISICIPLINE,AND RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLES VIEWS.THIS IS WHERE THE SYSTEM FALLS DOWN,BUT IT HAS TO BE TAUGHT TO THE KIDS IN THE HOME FIRSTLY,THEN PERHAPS THE SYSTEM MAY FOLLOW SUITE.THE SYSTEM AT THE MINUTE IS ONE FOR ONE AND ALL FOR ONE,IN ALL DEPARTMENTS,IM SURE A GREAT MAJORITY WOULD AGREE TO THAT.UNTIL THE PEOPLE HAVE THEIR SAY AND BE LISTENED TO THERE WILL BE NO CHANGE,ONLY LOSS OF YOUNG LIVES,AND THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.ONLY ONE DEPARTMENT RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT,???? 

WILL THEY CHANGE IT SOON DONT HOLD YOUR BREATHS FOLKS,RIP THE YOUNG ONES.

5 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I am trying to search for a huge outpouring of sympathy but it is being allusive........ tragic yes, preventable .... totally.

Well put..... I am similarly searching, but it’s just not there. I fear that I have become completely desensitized to this type of incident.... which concerns the hell out of me.

5 hours ago, Katipo said:

Looking at the pick-up, and considering it was several motorbikes involved, I do wonder whether it had any functioning brake or tail lights. Not diminishing the stupidity of street racing, but it seems like too much of a coincidence that so many seemingly rammed straight into the it's rear.

Nothing to do with coincidence its all down to the common denominator which is stupidity

Why are so many posters condoning what these young boys were doing? OK, so we were all young once and we all did silly things, but to go out racing and speeding, and putting other innocent road users lives at risk as well as their own just for their enjoyment is just not on.

If these same young boys went out and assaulted old people just to get their kicks, everybody would be condemning them. So why condone this behavior? Think about it.

2 hours ago, Myran said:

And perhaps a purple Santa Claus descended from Tesco Lotus and caused the crash. I'll go ahead and look at what evidence we actually have, which is that the motorcycles were traveling at extreme speeds – evident by the wrecks and witness accounts – and leave the pointless make-belief scenarios to you.

The evidence is that 4 motorcyclists drove straight into a truck.... 

Clearly the motorcyclists were traveling at speed.... but the Theory that the truck pulled out in front of them (i.e. without looking) is not a 'pointless make-believe scenario'.

For those who drive and ride in Thailand cars pulling out onto the main road without looking is a reality. The idea that the pickup driver may have pulled out in front of these racing motorcyclists is very far from a 'make-belief scenario', its a very realistic probability but one we are unable to prove and when commenting on a web-forum such as this we are not limited by the burden of proof, but by experience when applying realistic and balanced opinion. 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why are so many posters condoning what these young boys were doing? OK, so we were all young once and we all did silly things, but to go out racing and speeding, and putting other innocent road users lives at risk as well as their own just for their enjoyment is just not on.

If these same young boys went out and assaulted old people just to get their kicks, everybody would be condemning them. So why condone this behavior? Think about it.

There is a huge difference between high-jinx and assault. 

Kids racing bikes for kicks, while dangerous, stupid and places other innocents at risk is carried out without a real concept of consequence, or through youthfulness the kids ignore the consequence. 

Actively going out and assaulting people for kicks involves quite a different criminal, aggressive and perhaps psychopathic mindset.

Without wishing to defend these dangerous 'street racers' the comparison you have drawn is unfair. 

They [the street racers] need policing, educating and guidance, but they are also kids and need 'something' to do... Kids will always be kids and get up to mischief - this is not defending them, its simply stating a fact of life... their actions are quite different from assaulting people and to draw the comparison with assaulting old people highlights your bias. 

• Like 2