Is it an end of an era for the Western Expat?

Is it an end of an era for the Western Expat?

By Dan Cheeseman

western-expat.png

The two boxers complete twelve grueling rounds of boxing and it goes to the scorecards. Both eagerly awaiting for the decision, both hopeful that they had done enough to win.

“Ladies and Gentleman, we have a draw” announces the ring announcer. Really, was it that close? The same applies to this very question ‘Is it an end of an era for the Westerner Expat?’, those surveyed on my Facebook page were unable to reach a conclusive decision. 318 replies later and it was a dead heat – 50% yes and 50% no.

31948647_10156312678696291_6033897922339274752_n.jpg

So, who is right?

Well it is all personal opinion, so I am not one to say right from wrong. But I posted the poll for a reason, as I think it is very much an end of an era for the Western Expat and I cannot think of a single reason to see otherwise – but things can change in a flash I realise that.

Let’s look at the trends in the market. The Chinese are arriving in their droves – and that still only represents 5% of the population who currently have passports. Expect far more numbers to arrive in the next decade. This will cause and is causing a market shift and that impacts on expats. Unless retired, working expats are here because of the market and that market is moving. So it is reasonable to suggest the Chinese will impact on Western Expat numbers.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/05/08/is-it-an-end-of-an-era-for-the-westerner-expat/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Couldnt we have a discussion WITHOUT Thai girls being the main topic ?

Every thread seems to turn into a discussion about Thai girls and people boasting about their Thai Wife

Seems girls is a hot topic for most of the TV members. How many expats in TV bring their wifey from home or another country than Thailand? I think thats one of the major factors we are here in Thailand, because we fell in love in a girl, and not the country, or we saw the potential of having a good life here with a girl from Thailand. 

When that is said, Im also looking for another location where we (me and my thai gf) can settle in future, if situation will change in Thailand. If me and my gf split, Im sure I will end up in Brazil. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im sure I will end up in Brazil. 

That may also have passed its heyday.  I lived there in late 2005 and a Brazilian friend said it's not like it was then.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Seems girls is a hot topic for most of the TV members. How many expats in TV bring their wifey from home or another country than Thailand? I think thats one of the major factors we are here in Thailand, because we fell in love in a girl, and not the country, or we saw the potential of having a good life here with a girl from Thailand. 

Most men the World over have a female partner , its common and its not something special

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

That may also have passed its heyday.  I lived there in late 2005 and a Brazilian friend said it's not like it was then.

I used to live in Tonsai beach Ao Nang years ago, and that place is also not what it used to be. No place will stay the same, except Koh Phayam (almost)

2 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Both my current wife and my ex-wife are Asian farangs, smarter than I am, and have master's degrees. If you can find that in Thailand, that is a pink unicorn; it simply will not happen. I came here to be free. It has nothing to do with Thai women, who are so overrated as partners, it is incredible.  

And your point is? Personal experience and superior skills to find pink unicorns? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1