One million baht dowry as Irish man marries Thai boyfriend in Nakhon Sawan

rooster59

One million baht dowry as Irish man marries Thai boyfriend in Nakhon Sawan

ewdce.jpg

Image: Sanook

An Irish business man married his long term partner in a lavish ceremony in Nakhon Sawan province on Saturday.

Thai media reported on the marriage of Alister Bredee, 66, and Phumaret Sangtong, 31, which was described as a joyous event attended by friends and family from Thailand and Ireland.

Mr Bredee who operates a health and fitness business on Koh Samui said he first came to Thailand 15 years ago and met Phumarej after interviewing him for a job.

The couple, who have been together for 13 years, finally tied the knot on Saturday and plan to continue living on Koh Samui but said they may move to Nakhon Sawan when Mr Bredee retires.

Sanook reported that Mr Bredee handed a dowry of more than one million baht to the family of Mr Phumaret.

The dowry was made of 400,000 baht in cash, 10 baht weight in gold and a car.

Sanook actually reported that Mr Bredee is Icelandic but in an interview with the Samui Times, Mr Bredee said he was born in Sri Lanka, educated in the UK but called Ireland home.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-13
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's a very old expression used to describe homosexuals - mainly male ones. Queer suggests unusual or not normal. 

I thought the world was more educated now. 

Younger gay people have promoted the inclusion of the word queer. There are Queer Studies programs in some universities. No point in obsessing about it. Use of words changes all the time. Not sure how relevant it is to Thai LGBT people though, if at all. It can of course be used respectfully and also used as a slur. That's usually apparent in the context or tone of voice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Younger gay people have promoted the inclusion of the word queer. There are Queer Studies programs in some universities. No point in obsessing about it. Use of words changes all the time. Not sure how relevant it is to Thai LGBT people though, if at all. It can of course be used respectfully and also used as a slur. That's usually apparent in the context or tone of voice. 

Interesting. In the UK the word "queer" would be associated with my parents generation, the WW11 generation.  They used the word descriptively and in a negative way but not as slur as such. Remember that for most of their lives homosexuality was illegal and frowned upon, seen as a character weakness or some sort of poor life style choice. 

I think if someone used that word in the UK, they'd be in trouble, regardless of their tone of voice. 

Given that this is a story about two people, happy in their long term relationship and hurting no one, I find some of the posts on here sad. One I find extremely obnoxious and demonstrative of very low intelligence. 

• Like 2

It was about turning around a slur word and OWNING it as an act of defiance. Like many, I'm not thrilled by it, because as we can see all the time, it's still used as a slur. 

So now at many universities you can major in Queer Studies. I'm sure that thrills many parents!

http://www.brandeis.edu/sexuality-queer/index.html

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not at all homophobic indeed my daughter is in a long term relationship with another woman and I have many gay friends but I do wonder at times where is all this going? My mother in law who died 20 years ago when there was only a handful of 'queers' in my country described homosexuality as a jaded pallet. My mother had a church mass offered up when a long lost uncle turned up at our house for Christmas dinner with his boyfriend? When I returned home after living abroad for 17 years I was nervous about coming out. How will my friends react when I tell them I'm straight?  Now I fear what was once considered a taboo then a novelty has somewhat become the norm and life is hard enough for a society and legal system that tries to regulate a male - female society without it being further watered down?  What next straight pride marches? Rome collapsed under such weight. I'm not inviting ridicule. It's just that gay men seem to be more educated, handsome, witty and attractive than us minority straight men. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's usually written LGBT or LGBTQ. It is indeed OK to say queers unless you're using it as a slur. Are you?

Similar to the use of the N word. 

If you’re Australian it’s now LGBTQIA. I genuinely have trouble keeping up 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone who pays a dowry of a million baht, or more, is a super freak, and is messing things up for most ex-pats. Word gets around, and women (and men?) who would normally expect 100,000 baht, get strange ideas in their heads, about their value on the market. Not a healthy thing to do. This man is responsible for setting a bad precedent.

Kindly disagree, it's about following the local culture. I've been to Thai-Thai village marriages up Isaan with more than 100,000 baht in Sin sot (dowry), and a "farang" is certainly expected to pay (much) more.

Are you aware of how much Tata Young got offered from her Thai partner..?

Sin sot reflects status, and Mr. Bredee, a well known and very respected health practitioner on Koh Samui, has a certain level of status.

I've been invited to a number of Thai-Thai marriages where the sin sot (dowry) was in range of 1 million baht and more in cash, plus gold and extras...

5af8041f8aa9a_twIMG572822_sin-sot.jpg.98382cce820907193bada8eee16d3d7e.jpg

My image from a local Thai-Thai wedding party on Koh Samui (I've intentionally blurred the couple)

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

They met when the boy was 16 , but only began a relationship when he turned 18, and the Man was 53 . HHmmmmmmm 

no, the met when the boy was 18, he came to thailand 2 years before.:saai:  But you right, 18 and 53 is some age difrends!! :sick:

2 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Now that the use of LBGQT is accepted for use, I want to wish these queers good luck!

the only thing "queer" is 1 million baht.

well i suppose the thai guy is another oxford grad rhodes scholar with an undergrad degree from princeton

6 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Now that the use of LBGQT is accepted for use, I want to wish these queers good luck!

yes, amazing. first they taught us to say "gay", now they say queer, like in the first place. ...Stick around and they'll make it "homo".