Seller of car does not have current visa. How can we change ownership.

We bought a car and stupidly did not get the ownership transferred right away. Now the owner has moved home and no longer has a current Thai visa. So now I'm wondering what we can do. Does he have to come back here or is there another way of transferring the ownership to us? I feel like this must have happened before. Thanks for any advice!! 

Get a Thai to go into the Motor Registry and say they are thinking of buying a car from a falang who has overstayed and about to leave and what the implications are.

In Phuket ,  signed copies of  a current valid visa , passport ID page ,  last entry stamp , and exit card are required.. ( as well as signed Bill of Sale and Power of Attorney page ).

If the rules are to be 'stretched' , it will be easier to do that if the "buyer" is a Thai - like maybe you have a Thai wife.

After , she can "sell" it to you.

The previous owner can sign power of attorney to someone in the Kingdom to act and sign on his behalf. It's a standard form that can be bought in many paper-shops, perhaps also available as pdf-download. A signed copy of seller's passport is also needed; but check with the local Land Transport Office what they exactly require of documents when seller is using power of attorney for a transfer.

I've done it a couple of times, selling both a car and a motorbike, and also when buying two cars – often a broker or dealer will do all paperwork for both buyer and seller – so the Land Transport Office is used to the procedure, as it's often used.

:smile:

Archived