12 year old motorcycle rider killed in Wichit after head crushed by tour bus

webfact

Slightly off subject but, in a world where obesity is an ever growing cause of ill health, what is wrong with children cycling to school?  Apart from the obvious health benefits, cycling would also address the issues of affordability, mentioned above, and racing also mentioned.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

As much as I like to criticize, consider that in a family where both parents must work, or there is a single parent, there is no other way of getting the child to school. It's not right, but I can understand why a kid would take a motorbike to school.  I rode my bike to school starting at age 8 and had to navigate some heavy traffic and did not wear a bike helmet.

Where are you from? 

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I feel sorry for the driver of the car, who should not have been put in this position in the first place.

What car would that be ? No cars mentioned in the story.

Also, you'd think someone would have the respect and decency to clean up the road a bit.

• Like 1

we rode bicycles or walked to school and where ever we wanted to go, in many cases that could be several kilometres but it appears thais are too lazy to ride a bicycle/walk when they can ride motor bikes illegally and get away with it and have there parents blessings. While this is sad it shows how stupid these kids are, racing in traffic areas, thai laws and police really are pathetic not to restrict/police this, as said, the parents should be held responsible for allowing him to ride

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The "motorbike disease" strikes again! If they'd been on bicycles maybe the temptation to race would not have been so strong. And don't give me this "It was too far to pedal a bike to school excuse". If distance were legitimately too far to cycle, motorbikes are several times more dangerous than either bicycles or school buses.

• Sad 1

Just now, FitnessHealthTravel said:

There even younger on Samui. They crash all the time.  God help you if you hit one, they'll hang you up when you stand.

Yes, I know there are younger children driving a motorcycle, but what I hang up on is how anybody in their right mind can give them the name motorcycle rider.
Even if a 12 year old boy is sitting driving a motorcycle, he is no rider in my eyes.

It’s all part of the prevalent attitude that nothing can go wrong, thinking about it will make it happen, and Buddha or whoever will protect us.

It’s why multiple people travel on motorbikes, no one looks before pulling out or changing direction, helmets are very optional, and parents and police don’t feel the need to take any action to keep children safe. 

It it is also why more motorcyclists die in collisions here than anywhere else in the world. 

6 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

It’s all part of the prevalent attitude that nothing can go wrong, thinking about it will make it happen, and Buddha or whoever will protect us.

It’s why multiple people travel on motorbikes, no one looks before pulling out or changing direction, helmets are very optional, and parents and police don’t feel the need to take any action to keep children safe. 

It it is also why more motorcyclists die in collisions here than anywhere else in the world. 

No its not its nothing else other than crass stupidity

While agreed it's a bad idea to turn a 12 y.o. loose on a motorbike...growing up in rural central Florida, I drove a 70cc "minibike" and  100cc Kawasaki motorcycle starting at 13. All of us did. Some even had larger ones. Fortunately, none of us youngsters had any serious accidents, though a few had some really serious motorcycle accidents when they were older and of legal driving age. One lost a leg and one was killed.

Also had a lawn mowing business starting at 12. Used my grandfather's "riding mowers" (John Deere and Snapper) whenever possible. Beat the hell out of any push mower, even a self-propelled model! In those days, we could get a beginners driving license at 15, but had to be accompanied by an adult to drive. Could drive solo at 16. We all started driving at 14. Not city driving, granted.