pay once and then pay again?

zoza

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my laptop, I asked around and a couple of people said Tuc-com had many repair outfits

I was not totally sure but I went to the third floor where there was a shop that dealt with my laptop brand.

and later I got a phone call 3500 baht for repair.....I said ok just fix it.

when I went to pick it up a few days later, I asked for a detailed report on what was done to repair the laptop .

when I got it translated it said computer fixed? in Thai.

my first concern was when I opened my laptop was a loud clicking noise? when I looked further I had no sound?

I phoned the repair shop lady and asked why I had no sound? she told me it was because I had not given them any password? I pointed out that

she had phoned me to tell me the cost so why could she not phone for the password?    if it was needed?

yesterday I discovered that this company had a head office by foodland so I took my laptop there, the staff were very helpful but they could not

tell me what work was done? they asked me? and I told them my report said ''fixed computer'' when he opened it up he could not see any major

work that had been done, but maybe the loss of sound was my usb and audio board being damaged. I had already checked the price 29 US Dollars

but the company would not or could not order a new one ? I would have to buy one.

I was told they did not stock any parts and although they had caused the problem I had to pay for any replacement parts in fact when the repair man

put it back together (the usb/audio ribbon was not connected properly) I was taken to the supervisor to pay. a service charge.

ok it was only 300 baht ( I gave it to the Technician) is this legal in Thailand, that they break you pay twice type of deal.

this company is on facebook with rave reviews or is it due to the Draconian laws that protect the guilty from the truth.            

Well you agreed to pay the price over the phone and never asked what they were doing so caveat emptor applies. You then went to another branch who correctly charged you a service fee as I assume they don't work for free. It was up to you to ask exactly what was wrong in the first instance. Ironically all you told them is just fix it which is exactly what they told you they had done on the invoice.

19 minutes ago, starky said:

Well you agreed to pay the price over the phone and never asked what they were doing so caveat emptor applies. You then went to another branch who correctly charged you a service fee as I assume they don't work for free. It was up to you to ask exactly what was wrong in the first instance. Ironically all you told them is just fix it which is exactly what they told you they had done on the invoice.

when I asked them to fix it ( I was hoping to keep the post a bit shorter) I meant the flickering on the screen.

I did not ask them to miss-realign the connection ribbon from the Usb /audio board. causing the sound and

usb's to shut down.

the people who F**Ked up where in the same room  and all I asked was them to correct their errors

if you take your car to a garage to get a new tire, and they crash the car into a wall do you expect to pay them

for the repair of damage they have caused? after all they don't work for free!!!! 

P.S I did not take it to a different branch all the repairs are done at their head office

and I did not want to deal with the same people who basically wrote a load of nonsense when I asked what repair had been done.....I try to limit my dealings with

dodgy people who take the piss. the head office was better but just normal Thainess I think ?.  

OP, why did you take the computer to another shop? That appears to be half the problem. It makes sense that they may not know much about the original repair, what the original fault was or how it was rectified.

Surely the original shop could give more details on the original repair and rectify (without cost) the ribbon cable fault, that they inadvertently caused.

They may be the same company but have separate owners, be a separate franchise etc, and only offer limited warranty on each others work.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, why did you take the computer to another shop? That appears to be half the problem. It makes sense that they may not know much about the original repair, what the original fault was or how it was rectified.

Surely the original shop could give more details on the original repair and rectify (without cost) the ribbon cable fault, that they inadvertently caused.

They may be the same company but have separate owners, be a separate franchise etc, and only offer limited warranty on each others work.

Does anybody read the posts or do they have only copy and paste answers? I think that is most of the problems on this forum.

the repairs are carried out at their shop in central road part of the same business, all they do at Tuc-com is sell computers

and collect computers that need repair, WHEN YOU ASK ABOUT REPAIRS TUC-COM KNOW NOTHING..they phone you later with a price after they have been looked at by their staff in central road.

I took the laptop direct to the repair shop as it was where it was damaged by who ever tried to repair it, I was asked what was done as guess what no one would admit any liability , bit of a shocker in Thailand.

they want immunity when they damage your computer (as if damaged while being repaired you pay for new parts)

its Thainess at its best....they want to be paid twice...once when fixing and later when mending the fix get it ?   

It is what is known as a "double whammy" here..........but you were lucky....they fixed it at the second attempt, many folks on here have not been so lucky,never apply logic in LOS it doesn,t work unfortunately :whistling:

6 hours ago, zoza said:

Does anybody read the posts or do they have only copy and paste answers? I think that is most of the problems on this forum.

the repairs are carried out at their shop in central road part of the same business, all they do at Tuc-com is sell computers

and collect computers that need repair, WHEN YOU ASK ABOUT REPAIRS TUC-COM KNOW NOTHING..they phone you later with a price after they have been looked at by their staff in central road.

I took the laptop direct to the repair shop as it was where it was damaged by who ever tried to repair it, I was asked what was done as guess what no one would admit any liability , bit of a shocker in Thailand.

they want immunity when they damage your computer (as if damaged while being repaired you pay for new parts)

its Thainess at its best....they want to be paid twice...once when fixing and later when mending the fix get it ?   

No use shouting your the one that said yesterday I discovered they had a head office by foodland, to which any reasonable person reading your OP would think was a different shop. If you buy a product at one big C then go to the head office its not the same big C is it? Whether it's the same company or not. Generally the problem on this forum is people just want to vent and when they don't get the answer they want to hear they start shouting at people.

55 minutes ago, starky said:

No use shouting your the one that said yesterday I discovered they had a head office by foodland, to which any reasonable person reading your OP would think was a different shop. If you buy a product at one big C then go to the head office its not the same big C is it? Whether it's the same company or not. Generally the problem on this forum is people just want to vent and when they don't get the answer they want to hear they start shouting at people.

To be fair, he did explain all in post #4.

27 minutes ago, StevieDee said:

If you are in BKK go see Nick at Pro Corner

3rd floor, Fortune Town

Used him many many times as has many other forum users I believe

Can't recommend him & his services enough!

does he have a cousin in Pattaya? from what I have seen he might be worth a look the next time, as most

I have seen are a joke, even at the repair center I had to tell the '' Technician'' to take the keyboard off

before proceeding as he was going to cause more damage. (I had watched a youtube video of the 13 steps

to replace the usb/audio board, before going to central road)and just as well .    

Actually the problem you had is pretty common worldwide, you might be fortunate that it happened in Thailand, otherwise the "re-repair" could have cost much more. I have had excellent service here, but have also run into some stinkers, just the way the cookie crumbles.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:48 AM, zoza said:

t

Then why bother to ask this forum...?

Just normal Thai service. I read of someone who bought a pair of shoes at one of Thailand's largest chains and the next day one of them fell apart. He took them back for a refund and because they refused and he refused to leave they called the police. Customer service, Thai-style. After all, where else does it say in bold letters on a credit card slip NO REFUND.

3 hours ago, StevieDee said:

If you are in BKK go see Nick at Pro Corner

3rd floor, Fortune Town

Used him many many times as has many other forum users I believe

Can't recommend him & his services enough!

Agree completely.

Not sure about the guys name, but he speaks good English and provides a great service. I've used him a few times and never had a problem. If something is not worth fixing, or will be expensive/risky he will tell you after investigating and before the fix, giving you the choice. When I asked him about building a system from scratch he even told me it would be cheaper to go elsewhere as all he would do is buy the parts from another shop and add his charges on top!

Don't use this phrase often in Thailand, but 'great service'!

18 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

To be fair, he did explain all in post #4.

But, as I always say, if you have to read the entire OP and the first few replies or answers BEFORE bursting into print, it ruins all the fun and means you don't get as many responses on your TVF scorecard.  (just joking.  Honest.  Well mostly, anyway.)

On 5/20/2018 at 3:27 AM, KittenKong said:

Paying too much for very shoddy work and getting no warranty at all is often par for the course in Thailand.

I dont think that the phrase "work ethic" translates into Thai at all.

You can´t translate something that doesn´t exist.

3 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

But, as I always say, if you have to read the entire OP and the first few replies or answers BEFORE bursting into print, it ruins all the fun and means you don't get as many responses on your TVF scorecard.  (just joking.  Honest.  Well mostly, anyway.)

Or the OP is just an unintelligible rant that takes multiple posts to explain whatever petty issue he had and was  most likely his fault initially.

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You can´t translate something that doesn´t exist and is an alien language for the population.

Yes but people come here or expect expert work for what? Less than a tenth for what they would pay for it anywhere else in the world and then complain that Thais are lazy and have a shitty work ethic. You rock into the shit fight that is tuk com and go to some place that hasn't been highly recommended by (falang) people you know then when they ring just say fix it  without asking any questions then I would say,  you pretty much have no right of reply if the <deleted> your lappy because you really didn't care too much in the first place TIT after all.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Yes but people come here or expect expert work for what? Less than a tenth for what they would pay for it anywhere else in the world and then complain that Thais are lazy and have a shitty work ethic. You rock into the shit fight that is tuk com and go to some place that hasn't been highly recommended by (falang) people you know then when they ring just say fix it  without asking any questions then I would say,  you pretty much have no right of reply if the <deleted> your lappy because you really didn't care too much in the first place TIT after all.

Okey, as well as I can agree with you when it comes to the salury in comparision to ours when we are residing in Thailand, I will also have to disagree with you regarding the percentual salury value.
Maybe that is something that you have disregarded in your statement.
If you are talking about an american or european salury and the person that recieves the salury are using it in the home country, in comparision to a thai salury used by a thai in Thailand. Then you will find out that according to thai measurements it will in reality not be so bad as you think.

The percentual cost of renting a place to stay that goes from the salury in both cases will almost be equal or less in Thailand.
The cost of water and electricity used by a thai home, will be smaller than in an american or european home, but will percentually almost be equal.

The cost of food and vegetable as well as eating your lunch outside, will percentually be a smaller part of the thai salury than an american or european salury.

In regard to that, I would actually think that I would have the right to get a product seviced or manufatured up to the standards that are acceptable.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:10 AM, ezzra said:

And this is exactly what Trump is complaining about this harlot Stormy Daniels too, paid once, paid again only to be asked to pay again, you're in a good company mate...

All parties involved agree that Trump did not pay Stormy Daniels for sex. His lawyer paid to silence her in October 2016, and Trump reimbursed the lawyer. All public info, no fake news. And I wouldn't call Trump good company.

Sorry but really your own fault, you did not say you wanted to know what was wrong at outset.

You did not tell them what you wanted saving and give them necessary passwords.

You did not check it was working when you collected it.

You went somewhere else to check it out and expected that for nothing?

You went at outset just anywhere without any recommendation and said fix it?

Laptops get old and brittle and sometimes  getting to the fault can cause more problems.  Fixing a screen issue requires often a major stripdown.

i have repaired many computers including laptops

any competent repair would require your login password.  whatever is done internally even if is just a loose cable requires the unit to be tested via operating  system to make sure everything is working. i recall some hacks to gain os access but that is not the best way to go.

the repair bill should say what they did.

first store should have corrected problem they cause no charge.

second shop could have called first to confirm what you said and possible not charged you either.

a shop at mbk replace the lcd screen on my mobile. screen worked great but later saw camera no longer worked.  shop forgot to reinsert camera ribbon. they fixed it no charge and apologized, the nepalese tech apologized.

there are competent computer people in thailand as well as less competent.

nick at pro corner fortune mall bkk did university in the usa and is competent and honest.i have used them when i need component level soldering (microscope and special machines)

Computers along with phones seem to be the worst bunch as far as made to break in 5 years. Anything else, like repairing them, is swimming against the current anywhere you want to go these days. I hate it, the way everything falls apart in no time even your clothes. I hate the way half working software  has paved the way for people to accept half working garbage products everywhere. I hate how people who should remember that things weren't always this way don't remember or don't care. Then add to that trying to fix something thats made to break  in Thailand... The whole country is broken and always has been for starters. Fixing things is a difficult way to way make money, so you are doubly trying to swim against the current taking a computer in to be repaired. Sorry to sound harsh but that's what I've learned in 20+ years here.

Thais warned me a long time ago, no don't do it, just get a new one (What?!) they'll just strip your computer for parts they want or can sell, or just break your computer so they can buy it off you and fix it cheap and sell it as a re-conditioned or used computer. I ignored their advice and went through much drama and money thinking i could get my computer fixed here or expect my landlords to say fix the air conditioning. You can...kind of. Promises and agreements are also optional here, its acceptable to just ignore a warranty. What are you going to do, sue Mitsubishi? Both they and Apple won't fix stuff I've bought from them. Just diddle you for ever until you go away. I've lived here a long time so already learned its quite difficult to get things repaired and have stopped thinking of my things as being repairable just disposable. Its disgusting, but thats how it is.  Most Thai people don't think in terms of fixing stuff just either doing without and accept that your appliance has died or get a new one. They don't like fixing buildings you might notice, just tear them down and put up a new one.

So, I just try to buy the most solid stuff I can find, it will be cheaper than getting stuff that is 50% cheaper but which will break in a year or two. I buy the best stuff I can find and take extra care not to wear it out, get everything going through surge protectors, another big problem, the sub-standard electricity grid will fry your computer and other electrical appliances. But for my money I've found it doesn't work (pun intended) to ask Thais to fix anything ie, pay them to repair stuff, they don't want to, usually, and that's their choice, just that they will not tell you that, and some will go so far as to  take your money because they see that you are under the impression that they will actually fix your stuff. So you can pay for the fantasy if that's what you want, its easier for them. And I concede, why should they fix anything if they don't want to?  And perhaps it is none of my business to know that actually they don't want to fix my computer if it is broken even of I pay them. They don't see it as a good way to do business evidently,  its so much easier just to sell you a new computer or fridge than fix it and the sooner you figure it out that you can't really get things fixed here including your health i might add the better so you can stop wasting time and getting into scenes with people who diddle you, rip you off etc on the fix it ticket. 

I have been conned and cheated by the PC repair centres and on buying PC's,  many times, in different places in the world. (ok I must be a bit more stupid etc. etc) :cheesy:

I closed the case in switching to Apple since 10 years now, always happy, the few technical issues always quickly solved with their outstanding customer support - no matter in which country.

Thanks to the 97% who gave relevant answers to my Query ''is this legal'' the other 3% who thought it was a rant

or petty or unintelligible and could not grasp that a company can have two premises that perform two different

services, and asked questions that had already been answered, but they could not comprehend. thanks as well.

as it would not be TV without the likes of you. Funny as F....  honest   

Archived