A litany of broken promises

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“Junta leaders can get away with malfeasance because there is no monitor to oversee the junta leaders,” Chambers said.

while that is true, the basis for their continuance lies in the 'accepting nature' of the general thai public; if they are willing to accept corrupt, incompetent leadership then they cannot and will not complain nor do anything about it more substantive;

there seems a general understanding of the nature of the junta and their past performance; that understanding has not yet galvanized into action, opposition speech has intensified as of late and the junta's 'popularity' continues to wane, perhaps a tipping point is coming relatively soon

I had only been in Thailand for one year at the time of the 2006 coup and had never seen anything like it in my country of birth. I didn't know what to expect but knew it wasn't really my business, I followed the news coverage and learned about Thaksin changing the law to allow the sale of Shincorp to a foreign company without paying tax. I didn't know about the previous coups but I watched the peaceful protests to the coup. People were in the streets, some put flowers in soldiers gun barrels and chanted their opposition, I didn't comment. In 2010 when the protests were coordinated by Thaksin and violence was commonplace I joined Thai Visa and spoke out. I was sickened, Thais killing Thais and cheering their deaths all so one billionaire could cling to power. I have asked before, why does it have to be this family, why can't the opposition find someone else? Seems to me that it's about the money, no leader with a passion to better the lives of his or her countrymen has emerged.

• Like 1

So the budget for 2018 is circa USD 7 Billion .... considering that Thailand has a dilapidated, Navy, Air Force, Army; after deducting funds for a couple of subs, tanks, luxury watches where is all the money being spent? 

For comparison I found this on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Excellent article; I am surprised that it was allowed to be printed, but now that it has I sincerely hope it is seen by many.

Where does one begin to comment?

"...In its four years – equivalent to the term of an elected government – it has turned Thailand into a bureaucratic polity with the military playing a vital role in weakening the power of politicians and other political institutions, scholars said..."

The sentence above is a good summary of the last few years, and while seeming innocuous is truly frightening. Damaging and destroying Institutions by itself is a scary prospect; these are the things that societies rely on for continuance and day-to-day management of affairs. And when those same institutions break, it can often lead to a breakdown in a society; if people don't share institutions, what do they share? What does a southern fisherman share with a Bangkok-based street food vendor? What does a Issan rice farmer share with a northern Bangkok factory worker?

Further, what do the Military and the Bureaucracy, as institutions, share in terms of Humanity? An institutional view that the individual doesn't matter much. I don't mean that the military and bureaucracy are 'anti-people'; or some other nonsense, but their institutional outlook doesn't value the individual very much. And when institutions that govern don't value the individual much, you get a scary State that is prone to massive abuses. People don't like politicians, (that it easy to understand), but it is the politician who puts the individual into the State as they are the ones in contact with their voters.

What will the future hold in Thailand? I think there are four general possibilities.

1. The Junta 'wins' the election (by whatever means) and entrenches itself further. This leads to a Burma-style situation where the government/State becomes a "wet-blanket" stifling life in the Kingdom and snuffing out creativity and 'joie-de-vivre'; we can all see that happening already to a certain extent.

2. The Junta is soundly defeated by the Democratic element in the election and it is of such magnitude that the message is received by the PTB that the military goes back to the barracks.

3. The Junta wins the election by a narrow margin/manages to get the numbers in the legislature by a narrow margin and claims a mandate. This would lead to further fighting and further oppression as both sides are roughly evenly matched. See 1992.

4. The forces of Democracy win the election and begin the battle of rooting out the military influence, beginning with the constitution. There is a long period of stagnation as each side battles the other rather than deal with issues.

None of the scenarios above seem like a bright future to me; no matter what occurs, I think Thailand is going to be focused inward for the next several years dealing with itself. And, her neighbours will be focused outwards gaining wealth, strength and influence.

It is a sad future as none of the possibilities sees Thailand as a proud nation looking out to the world with confidence and determination.

Very good post ... but what election ...?

They promised it , but delayed it every year , I do not think that this time it's gonna be different ...

Anyway , they changed the constitution , now they have the power to even get rid of a newly elected government if they want to ...

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Excellent article; I am surprised that it was allowed to be printed, but now that it has I sincerely hope it is seen by many.

Maybe the haul of monkeys to a remote island is just a test run for the deportation of journalists like Jintana Panyaarvudh, and Supalak Ganjanakhundee. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How quickly people forget!

Thaksin was the most corrupt person, ever ( IMO ), to be in charge of Thailand, and I cheered when he was removed. Every attempt to form a civilian government since was merely to reinstate his theft of LOS.

Let's not forget that his henchman Purachai was responsible for destroying farang night life, and it has not yet recovered its previous glory.

I for one, will support anyone that keeps Thaksin or his cabal of crooks from returning to power.

Many would not agree that Thaksin was the most corrupt person. By every attempt to form a civilian government are we talking democracy, the choice of the people? OK you prefer military dictatorship or anything to democracy. Did not forget.

• Like 2

well we can see its in the typical Thai make up, man in the street, its only people with knowledge can see through this lot, * well im not realy bothered it doesnt realy concern me attitude* classic scenario is the road accident, its *well im not involved* dont stop to help and off they go on their merry way/.

23 minutes ago, alant said:

Many would not agree that Thaksin was the most corrupt person. By every attempt to form a civilian government are we talking democracy, the choice of the people? OK you prefer military dictatorship or anything to democracy. Did not forget.

I prefer anything to Thaksin.

Before him, Thailand was really wonderful, but he destroyed it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TKDfella said:

Well that's one up for oppression. I hope you'll be the first one the receive 'I am a expat' star for your jacket. 

I haven't been "oppressed" by the present government, and I don't know anyone that has been.

If you are going to come out with silly statements you should provide some evidence of it.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Printed in an English newspaper so not much danger of it being 'seen by many'!  Certainly not those who can make a difference.

• Like 1

The only real changing they have done is to increase massively the defenses budget! For what??? The corruption is higher than ever and the situation for the peoples in Thailand is very worse compared to 2014.