Maintaining an identity in one's home country - Have you let your driver's license expire?

17 minutes ago, canopy said:

• Banking. I've never been asked for a US DL to open a bank account in Thailand.

As presumably would have been obvious, the discussion was about needing a U.S. DL, or it being helpful to have one, to open new bank accounts in the U.S., not in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Your state has favorable rules if they only require one out of 4 or 5 renewals to be in person.

Mine, as mentioned, is every other 4 year renewal.

They also told me that beginning at age 70 for the online renewals, one has to also have a doctor's physical test and an eye test.

Yes, DL rules and procedures are a very much state specific thing.

In my case, I got a renewal in person a year or so after I moved here, and now have had two successive online/mail renewals, and not had to do any in person ones. I dunno if I'll get a third online renewal the next time my cycle comes up. But in my state, similar to what you said, I believe I'll have to start doing the renewals in person once I hit 70, which is still a long ways off.

Re U.S. banks, I just applied for two new accounts in the past couple months. For one, I just used my DL. For the other, their online application specifically gave the option for applying via PP number, so I figured what the heck, I'll try that, and so used my PP number. Then, my app was held/not approved, and the bank contacted me in person to advise I'd need to provide them with a copy of my DL.  But as I mentioned above, for non drivers, I believe banks will accept state IDs in lieu. But they typically want SOME official state ID.

Of course, like state DLs, different banks may have different requirements about that. But overall, I think having a state DL or ID makes dealing in the whole area of U.S. banking much easier.

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just renewed my U.K licence, took 5 mins online... I prefer to have both Thai and home country valid at all times..

Interesting. And did you use a UK address for the UK renewal? And, are you still resident in the UK, spending a good chunk of your time there? And of course resident for UK tax?

If not, and you used a relatives address, a convenience address as such, and neglected to inform them that you actually don't resided in the UK, you may find a lit problem at sometime.

Unless the rules have changed.

6 hours ago, Thailand J said:

My Florida DL expired many years ago. I use my accountant's address in US and also a mail forwarding company.Never had any problems with the bank, credit card ,finacial institutions or investment company arising from the expired DL. I worry a lot less about my US accounts after I have an international account and bank account with Charles Schwab.

I second that, except I always renew my license online it goes to my friends mailing address and is then fwd to me. The same for reissued credit cards, also before leaving I added my daughter to my bank account so she can handle most issues on that front. 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Interesting. And did you use a UK address for the UK renewal? And, are you still resident in the UK, spending a good chunk of your time there? And of course resident for UK tax?

If not, and you used a relatives address, a convenience address as such, and neglected to inform them that you actually don't resided in the UK, you may find a lit problem at sometime.

Unless the rules have changed.

Surprised you didn't ask if I have a work permit too ?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Thailand J said:

My Florida DL expired many years ago. I use my accountant's address in US and also a mail forwarding company.Never had any problems with the bank, credit card ,finacial institutions or investment company arising from the expired DL. I worry a lot less about my US accounts after I have an international account and bank account with Charles Schwab.

I've always used a mail drop (forwarding company) while in the US and will continue.

But if you have one, what do you use your accountant's address for?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

My home country DL expires the day I turn 100 years old. If I want to drive there after I am 70 years old, I have to carry a valid Medical Certificate.

I gather we need to guess your home country if interested enough.     ?

I think anyone driving after 70, myself included,  should have annual renewals.

Letting it expire and still visiting Home county now and then 

could possible cost you more if renting a car having for example

Thai DL.

Had customer visit California with me and rented car (I had CA DL). 

He’s very capable driver with a China DL. No problem as long as you

break off arm for rental/rental insurance. He didn’t drive. 

I’ve a Florida license good 10years (Usenet sisters address), China license 10 years (8 remains) and Thai god for 1 or 2 years ( first license).

The only issue I’d think not keeping it renewed is getting a Thai 

license for first time. You can test without it but need take written and driving. Drivinganot the problem. Problem is no real study material do test 

8 hours ago, Mattd said:

So do I, unfortunately it is no longer able to be used though, unless you still have solid connections to the address that is printed on it.

It is illegal to drive in the UK using a license where the address is obsolete, this includes the new licenses.

I never bothered getting a new photo license as I won't be returning to the UK, so I have no real use for it.

5 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

My home country DL expires the day I turn 100 years old. If I want to drive there after I am 70 years old, I have to carry a valid Medical Certificate.

After it expires, is it renewable for another 100?

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just renewed my U.K licence, took 5 mins online... I prefer to have both Thai and home country valid at all times..

Would be interested how you did this when your permanent home is Thailand?  I tried too but it is legally not possible if your home is outside U.K. Guess you used a relative's/friend's address. Are you aware of the fine if you get found out?

Would be interested how you did this when your permanent home is Thailand?  I tried too but it is legally not possible if your home is outside U.K. Guess you used a relative's/friend's address. Are you aware of the fine if you get found out?

I would imagine loads of people who have UK 'family' and Thai addresses take the risk!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Letseng said:

I'd love to know why you, and a few other posters, assume that I live in Thailand permanently..

Also, assume that I am doing something illegal !!

Assumption is the mother of all fck ups :whistling: 

My personal situation has nothing to do with the OP though, it's about renewing driving licences. 

Did mine online in 5 mins, did I mention that ?

On 5/24/2018 at 11:18 AM, DrPhibes said:

Be careful, CA uses drivers license as a proof of residence and could come after you for income taxes.  Having that exact issue with a client who has been living overseas for 6 years.  Suddenly MI is sending him tax notices due to his MI drivers license using his Mom's MI address.  Does not matter that he has proved he has been out of the country (except for a few weeks) over the 6 years, owns no property in MI, and sent in a signed statement saying he will probably move to FL once he comes back to the US.  They are hanging him on the drivers license and the "probably", it is all about intent.

Every state enforces their income tax rules differently, and some are more strict that others. CA is considered one of the stricter states, though not the most strict.

From my past reading of the CA rules and FTB advice on this, ONLY having a CA DL -- in the absence of any other pertinent connections to the state -- should not expose someone to any state tax liability there.

Now, it could be a different matter if you had a CA DL AND had a business there, owned property there, received rental income there, had financial accounts based there, and then a long list of other potential connections. But a DL alone shouldn't do it.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2018 at 9:21 AM, canthai55 said:

Canada 5 year expiry. Must show proof of residency - income tax form, utility bills.

Health care - a majority of your time must be spend in the province or territory you claim residence in for your health care to remain valid. 183 days per calendar year minimum.

No residency - no provincial health care so no travel insurance as this is a requirement. For health care plans purchased in Canada.

If you return, you will be without health care for 90 days - to fulfill the residency requirements for your province. So no getting sick in LOS and auto get taken care of in Canada when you step off the plane.

I just renewed my Can driver license online. Can only do.it once. Five years and 90$. Didn't do the health card do to the wording. My home address is my brothers home.

One gotcha is you can trigger state taxes unexpectedly by keeping your DL valid. Here is a scenario that is intended to catch tax evaders that has not been discussed yet. If you return to living in the state you left years ago, that state may try to prove you intended to return all along and can use your DL as one piece of evidence against you. They will then tax you for times you weren't even in the state. Thus, it is worth noting that having links like a DL or storage closets come with risks of years of tax hits with penalties and interest compounded. Not sure about your state? Check with a tax attorney.

Anyone from the UK who maintains Thailand as their primary domicile but retains a UK DL using a residential address in the UK that is not their primary domicile is committing an offense only if they use that UK DL as evidence or proof of eligibility to drive in the UK. Using the UK DL for non-driving ID purposes is not an offense.

When visiting the UK and either renting or driving your own car, one should not use the UK DL but use your Thai DL.

UK car rental agencies accept the full, 5-year Thai DL. In fact it's a lot easier to rent a car with a Thai DL than it is with a UK DL. If using a UK DL, one is required to get a one-time PIN from DVLA to allow the rental agency to check your UK DL status and points on-line at the point of hire.

A Thai DL is recognized as a temporary driving permit for up to 12 months.

The fine for not maintaining a correct address on a UK DL is £1000. Since overseas addresses are not permitted on a UK DL, this is what the police will initially charge you with if by routine check or through a traffic accident, they find you using a UK DL fraudulently (the Thai wife yammering away in the passenger seat is dead giveaway BTW).
Good to know. I will make sure I produce my Thai DL, if asked for, next time I'm driving back home. If my Extension and Work Permit end here and I go home, presumably it's then OK to revert to the UK licence?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/25/2018 at 1:18 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Every state enforces their income tax rules differently, and some are more strict that others. CA is considered one of the stricter states, though not the most strict.

From my past reading of the CA rules and FTB advice on this, ONLY having a CA DL -- in the absence of any other pertinent connections to the state -- should not expose someone to any state tax liability there.

Now, it could be a different matter if you had a CA DL AND had a business there, owned property there, received rental income there, had financial accounts based there, and then a long list of other potential connections. But a DL alone shouldn't do it.

The root of the problem is that now to get drivers licenses in many states you must prove you are a resident.  Therefore, conversely, if you have a drivers license, you must be a resident since most states require you to get their drivers license within a short period of time after moving to their state and you would have your previous state license cancelled automatically.  This is what MI is hanging it's tax hat on.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

The root of the problem is that now to get drivers licenses in many states you must prove you are a resident.  Therefore, conversely, if you have a drivers license, you must be a resident since most states require you to get their drivers license within a short period of time after moving to their state and you would have your previous state license cancelled automatically.  This is what MI is hanging it's tax hat on.

The requirements to obtain a DL in any particular state are not necessarily the same as those on which the state taxing authority determines state tax liability. They may both involve some form of so-called residency, but not the same rules or requirements.

In any event, it certainly makes sense for anyone with potential exposure to familiarize themselves with the rules and regs of their state's taxing authority. I would imagine most have spelled out at some point what circumstances would lead them to consider someone not physically present in their jurisdiction to have any state tax liability.

And I would imagine it would be a rare state, if any, that would claim a person has state tax liability solely on the basis of holding a state DL, especially if they have zero property, income, employment, business dealings, etc etc. in that state. But having parents there and using their in state home on a person's DL adds elements to the equation.

BTW, this document seems to be pertinent about how Michigan establishes a person's "domicile" -- not residence or residences. And they do ask about DL, but also a variety of other details. It looks like it's also the ability of a person to declare their domicile outside of Michigan, which I presume the state can either accept or reject based on the details provided in the declaration.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/3799_373276_7.pdf

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK